One Championship declares it will ‘swallow up’ UFC as battle for MMA supremacy intensifies

weird, because i don't recall ever suggesting that glory/k1 was muay thai.

i referred to the dutch style as a variant of muay thai (ie: dutch vs traditional). and i referred to dutch fighters as muay thai. all of which fought under muay thai rules...

Yes the above people's skills are transferrable but it's not the same class of competition.

and now you backpedaled right back into ufc vs pride.

it seems that people here can't decide if mt is a general style/skill set or a rule set. so what's happened is some cherrypicking to pretend it's ludicrous that the dutch style/fighters mentioned aren't mt.

again, i was referring to a general style. then it was clear you clowns wanted it to be a rule set (lolz!) so i obliged. every fighter i mentioned has fought under mt rules. and i find it to be laughable to pretend they wouldn't have fared very well in muay thai during their primes. especially since MT orgs have pretty much always paid shit, so they don't have deep talent pools...

Last edited:

i referred to the dutch style as a variant of muay thai (ie: dutch vs traditional). and i referred to dutch fighters as muay thai. all of which fought under muay thai rules...

You obviously have no idea what you’re talking about but let’s go with it.

Let’s pick one fighter, could really be any of the kickboxers you listed. Saki for example. When was the last time he competed under full thai rules? Stupid Wikipedia only shows his fights of the last 18 years and there isn‘t one MT fight listed under those. You can be a Muay Thai stylist all you want, if you compete under kickboxing rules you are a kickboxers. Sittichai beating Dutch ass in kickboxing also doesn’t make him a better Muay Thai fighter, but a better kickboxer.

See that strap? The Lumpinee Belt. Youssef Boughanem won it today, which puts Marroco also over everything the Dutch have achieved in Muay Thai. No Dutch really ever came close winning it.

Also funny that you never even mentioned the most successful Dutch Muay Thai fighter ever, Ramon Dekkers.

Last edited:
Understand their reasons but it is short sighted IMO.

They are putting people off. Hendo vs Bisping in Manchester started at like 3am or some shit.
Ridiculous
and it still sold out and drew big numbers.

...and didn't do shit under those rules.

While I understand that K1/glory is a far more attractive proposition for those guys, they didnt do shit and you are still wrong.

Dutch kickboxing is not a well defined martial art, it's a derivative of Muay Thai and Karate and brought to Holland via Japan. Dutch kickboxers have excelled most under k1/glory rules.

To draw a comparison, Gracie jiu jitsu is a derivative of Judo, with other techniques and brought to Brazil by Maeda and the Gracies. Gracie jiu jitsu practitioners have excelled most under BJJ rules.

BJJ players have competed in Judo at low level, and nobody is saying that Brazil has the best Judo players in the world, just as you are wrong to say that Netherlands has the best Muay Thai fighters.

You obviously have no idea what you’re talking about but let’s go with it.

Let’s pick one fighter, could really be any of the kickboxers you listed. Saki for example. When was the last time he competed under full thai rules? Stupid Wikipedia only shows his fights of the last 18 years and there isn‘t one MT fight listed under those.

weird, because "stupid wikipedia" says "he is two-time Dutch and European Muay Thai champion"

You can be a Muay Thai stylist all you want, if you compete under kickboxing rules you are a kickboxers.

...got it. conor is a boxer. yes, this makes sense.

it definitely makes more sense than the aforementioned training in mt and fighting in both mt and kickboxing... before generally moving only to kickboxing because there's no money in mt. i guess that they all just totally suck at mt...

and it still sold out and drew big numbers.
Short term rewards but they will suffer in the long term with this strategy.

It drew 290k buys in the USA. How did it do on TV in the UK at 3-5am?

Do you know that Joshua vs Klitschko was on a Saturday evening in London and garnered 1.5million buys in the UK alone?

So the potential for big money exists there....while theres plenty of hardcore fans to fill an arena at any hour for a world title fight, by showing the fight at 3am they are making sure nobody in the UK will watch at home, and blitzing their chance to get the big UK money further down the line.

That's what I mean by short sighted.

lunacy - noun -

the belief that those who train in muay thai and compete at a high level in various combat sports actually suck at mt because they don't fly to thailand to fight for $4k baht and merely fight the best kickboxers possible for more moneys.

weird, because "stupid wikipedia" says "he is two-time Dutch and European Muay Thai champion"

...got it. conor is a boxer. yes, this makes sense.

it definitely makes more sense than the aforementioned training in mt and fighting in both mt and kickboxing... before generally moving only to kickboxing because there's no money in mt. i guess that they all just totally suck at mt...

First point of yours. You have no idea who he fought to earn those titles. Crippling Muay Thai rulesets and still calling it Muay Thai is a very European thing to do. Still doesn’t make it Muay Thai.

Second point. Conor fought one boxing fight and achieved nothing. Saki fought the last 18 years ( probably more ) under strictly kickboxing rules and achieved achieved everything there and nothing noteworthy in Muay Thai. Spot the difference.

Last edited:
lunacy - noun -

the belief that those who train in muay thai and compete at a high level in various combat sports actually suck at mt because they don't fly to thailand to fight for $4k baht and merely fight the best kickboxers possible for more moneys.

They don’t train Muay Thai. Simon Marcus and Artem Levin have never fought Thais and are still regarded as great nak muays, because that’s were they competed at and showed there skills.

this is some grade-a thai fetishism.

No credit where credit is due. Japan is doing great things in Muay Thai. The french always did great. Marroco is showing great results lately. Russia and the likes always have strong competioners especially at IFMA.

The Dutch didn’t do jack shit in Muay Thai. You got success in kickboxing, which is also great but something different.

lunacy - noun -

lunacy - noun -

troll
trɒl,trəʊl/
noun
noun: troll; plural noun: trolls.

1. (in folklore) an ugly cave-dwelling creature depicted as either a giant or a dwarf.
2. A person who makes a deliberately offensive or provocative online post.

Well if its from the Geelong Addy it must be true

They don’t train Muay Thai.
troll
trɒl,trəʊl/
noun
noun: troll; plural noun: trolls.

1. (in folklore) an ugly cave-dwelling creature depicted as either a giant or a dwarf.
2. A person who makes a deliberately offensive or provocative online post.

i mean, i was trolling... but you (plural) are the ones that went over the top delusional with this shit.

You mean the country that does kickboxing?

Netherlands biggest Muay Thai hero is a fighter with a losing record in Thailand, that never won a stadium title.

The Netherlands aren’t even the best Muay Thai nation in europe.
as a guy from the netherlands myself i can only say that you are totally right. as far as kickboxing is concerned we have the best camps available.

Muay Thai is a diffrent animal tho. I always thought highly about french muay thai fighters myself. there are great muay thai camps and fighters in eastern europe aswell.

Hmm they should hire some "legit" and top ranked talents first before saying stuff like this,

But there's a possibility for this for UFC is really breakable at this point.

One Championship ruled the Asian market right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rank Wang
Back