News ONE Championship announces atomweight semifinal matches for Oct 29

Saw both a bit ago on muh feed.

Is no ONE happy anywhere lmao...

And bummer for Seo.

The sooner ONE go to a female only roster, the better.

Can't wait for the Atomweight semi's.

Yuri Simoes literally buttflopped for 3 rounds against Rong Fan. ONE should have cut him immediately.

To be fair to Yuri I'm not sure what they were thinking booking him against a guy who was 13-2 for his pro debut.

Ritu Phogat is the frontrunner now. very sad that the 2 best fighters in the tournament wont be in the semi finals (ONE secretly wanted this, I'd wager)
How on earth is Ritu the frontronner? She lost to Bi Nguyen and scraped by Meng Bo in an epic comeback. She arguably loses to all 3 girls left in the field.

How on earth is Ritu the frontronner? She lost to Bi Nguyen and scraped by Meng Bo in an epic comeback. She arguably loses to all 3 girls left in the field.
she was pretty much robbed against Nguyen and beating Meng Bo is a more impressive win than any of the others have.

Hirata loses steam in the later rounds and Stamp Fairtex cant really wrestle. I'll eat crow if I'm wrong but I'm fairly sure I'm not.

Two fairly well rounded fighters on one side of the bracket in Mezabarba vs Stamp, and two one dimensional fighters on the other side.

Ham dropping out cost this tournament a lot of credibility. She was the most experienced fighter by far, and the most well known internationally. The rest of the fighters, while certainly fun and entertaining, mostly rely on manufactured star power:
Stamp: 1-1 with the only opponent she couldn’t steam roll
Mezabarba: still an unknown. Beating Yamaguchi, while impressive, doesn’t mean what it used to, as Mei has clearly lost a step the last couple of years.
Itsuki: extremely one dimensional, more popular for her looks than her fighting ability.
Ritu: beating Meng Bo silenced a lot of doubt, but like Itsuki, has faced only carefully selected opposition, and failed against one of them. Also, let’s be real: Meng Bo is only a known commodity for one thing, and that was years ago.

Am I still going to watch? Hell yes, with zeal. It’s just that losing Ham hit this tournament. Nobody gets the big bragging rights of beating her, and that’s what ONE was hoping her placement there would confer.

Two fairly well rounded fighters on one side of the bracket in Mezabarba vs Stamp, and two one dimensional fighters on the other side.

Ham dropping out cost this tournament a lot of credibility. She was the most experienced fighter by far, and the most well known internationally. The rest of the fighters, while certainly fun and entertaining, mostly rely on manufactured star power:
Stamp: 1-1 with the only opponent she couldn’t steam roll
Mezabarba: still an unknown. Beating Yamaguchi, while impressive, doesn’t mean what it used to, as Mei has clearly lost a step the last couple of years.
Itsuki: extremely one dimensional, more popular for her looks than her fighting ability.
Ritu: beating Meng Bo silenced a lot of doubt, but like Itsuki, has faced only carefully selected opposition, and failed against one of them. Also, let’s be real: Meng Bo is only a known commodity for one thing, and that was years ago.

Am I still going to watch? Hell yes, with zeal. It’s just that losing Ham hit this tournament. Nobody gets the big bragging rights of beating her, and that’s what ONE was hoping her placement there would confer.
Wait what? Ham's win over Zamboanga was a highway robbery. As a result, the tournament has plenty of legitimacy without her.

Back