Once and for all, JOE-se or Hose?

shredman

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Which is it? (I'm talking about Aldo, of course)

I think it should be Hose, but everyone insists on calling him JOE-se

They called him Hose in WEC, then switched to Jose about the same time he became champ.

In spanish there's a sound called "la jota" that doesnt exist in english. rhhhhhhhh is the sound

If he was from a Spanish-speaking country, it would be HOSE.

But he is not.

You can read it like you would in English, since that is probably your first language, but not as it would be in Spanish, cause it makes no sense.

Why don't they call Cristiano Ronaldo, Honaldo?

Why don't they call Cristiano Ronaldo, Honaldo?

Listen to a Euro commentator speak fast.... you will hear the Honaldo.

Anyways, one difference between Spanish and Portuguese is how people say Jose. Spanish say Ho-se, and since there tend to be more Spanish speakers in Canada and the US thats what people generally first think.

But in Portuguese its generally Joe-se. See Jose Mourinho

Of course there are always exceptions such as the Toronto Blue Jay's Jo-se Bautista who is Dominican

Ummm..actually in his home country it is honaldo

Still, nobody refers to him as "Honaldo".

Seems like only in MMA people care about proper Portuguese pronunciation, the rest of the world doesn't give a shit.

Still, nobody refers to him as "Honaldo".

Seems like only in MMA people care about proper Portuguese pronunciation, the rest of the world doesn't give a shit.

It just means you don't watch soccer very much.

I doubt mainstream media would care to say Jose Aldo correctly, but specialized journalists would.

A lot of european tvs call C.Ronaldo correctly. Also, Portugal is more lilely than Brazil to say the "R" as and English-speaker would, but it is not the way most people there do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ufc925
Back