On This Day .......

Always a bittersweet fight to me. It's an atg performance to watch from foreman but it's also a tough loss to watch frazier endure.

I always thought George deserved more credit for his punch placement and strategy in this fight. It's not like he just had an uppercut and power...as if frazier never saw an uppercut before.

Its crazy to think HBO had boxing for that long and then just dropped it.
I hope we end up with only one network for world stage boxing, eventually.
Hopefully, one sanctioning body too.
One promoter sounds impossible.
another farfetched wish is only having 10 weight classes.. this Bridgerweight shit is sad news.

Always a bittersweet fight to me. It's an atg performance to watch from foreman but it's also a tough loss to watch frazier endure.

I always thought George deserved more credit for his punch placement and strategy in this fight. It's not like he just had an uppercut and power...as if frazier never saw an uppercut before.

Big George threw his uppercuts very awkwardly. Fooled a lot of people into thinking that a hook was coming instead, which made them duck right into it. And sometimes he threw these sneaky lead hand uppercuts, that caught a lot of people unaware.

He also threw straight and fast (for him, anyway) punches along with slow, looping shots, which screwed up timing for a guy like Frazier, who didn't have a great vision (he was actually blind in one eye), but he generally adjusted very well to his opponents and their timing after a round or so.

These techniques were probably even more evident in the rematch, than the first fight which was just a destruction.

Foreman's style wasn't pretty to look at, but it was effective.

Back