On paper, is McGregor/Aldo the best striking match in UFC history?

krolik1157

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
The "on paper" caveat is necessary because the fight hasn't happened yet and we have no idea what will happen -- it could end with one punch a la JDS/Cain 1, they could circle each other for 25 minutes, or one of them might even try to grapple. Who knows.

However, going into this fight, this seems like it might be the best pure kickboxing match in UFC history. Neither of these guys have a history of going for the takedown (Aldo's ground game is definitely legit, but he's mostly used it to finish opponents he's already put down or worn down with strikes), and both are elite, hyper-quick, extremely technical strikers with knockout power.

So, simple question: is my memory just too short, or will this be the best pure kickboxing matchup in UFC history? Off the top of my head, the other options are Machida/Shogun, Hunt/JDS, Silva/Vitor (again, on paper -- it ended up being pretty quick in reality), or Dillashaw/Barao, although nobody thought TJ was going to be able to take it to Barao on the feet the way he did in that fight.

I give this the nod because these guys are both FWs with big-time power, which means they're going to keep a higher pace and be more technical than guys like Hunt or JDS, who are the elite of the elite in striking but a bit more plodding to watch because of their size. Anyways, let me know why I'm wrong -- I could always use some recommendations for fights to boot up the old Fight Pass for.

One that comes to mind is Machida vs Shogun.

Oh, well it seems you mentioned that. Just responding to the title like a good Sherdogger should.

Crocop vs Hunt way back in pride, or Hunt vs Nishijima, or Overeem vs Crocop

Until the Winner moves up and Faces Pettis

One that comes to mind is Machida vs Shogun.

I kind of think of this fight as the 145 version of that match-up -- a freestyle/karate-esque fighter who bounces around and uses a lot of angles and counters vs. a more pure MT fighter with huge leg kicks and a more straight-ahead, but incredibly effective, style.

Not sure about the best but probably the most intriguing.

Silva/belfort?

This is what I was thinking...on paper only though. Silva was just soooo good then.

P.S. Those saying any pairing that includes Shogun. Please. Stop. Shogun = most overrated fighter EVER.

Lol, I was just looking through my old threads and found this...I'm going to go ahead and bump it, for obvious reasons. Turned out a bit anticlimactic.

Lol, I was just looking through my old threads and found this...I'm going to go ahead and bump it, for obvious reasons. Turned out a bit anticlimactic.

Need a rematch.

Conor may still win, but the 13 second KO denied us what could have been an epic fight.

Back