Older WWF Era Was Incredible

What was WWE problem with Booker T dude was getting buried by Austin,Rock,Rikishi and Edge in his first year in the company.
Same issue they had with all the WCW guys. That’s what it was. They all got buried, especially when Triple H was involved. Booker just won over everyone after a bit.

Same issue they had with all the WCW guys. That’s what it was. They all got buried, especially when Triple H was involved. Booker just won over everyone after a bit.
In fairness, the WCW leftovers who actually came over right after the buy out, were pretty shit. I mean, who was really there, other than Booker? Hugh Morris? Billy Kidman? Buff Bagwell? They weren't exactly studs. I think the WCW guys who deserved success, eventually got it. Even a guy like Scott Steiner, who had some hype, absolutely sucked in the WWE, and he got a rocket strapped to his ass and was immediately thrust into a main event spot, which was one of the worst matches in history. WCW had way too many midcarders punching above their weight in WCW. Most of the WCW guys that came over, were just useless. WWE had MUCH higher standards, and regardless of booking, I think everything worked out naturally.

I'm watching some older WWF Saturday night main event with Sgt slaughter after he had joined forces with the iraqi. Fucking wild to remember what the world was like with the war. WWF had real fuckin balls for that
What would be an equivalent today. Whatever that is they should do it

I'm watching some older WWF Saturday night main event with Sgt slaughter after he had joined forces with the iraqi. Fucking wild to remember what the world was like with the war. WWF had real fuckin balls for that
WWE tried it with Rusev a few years ago but there was major backlash, and he soon went from being Russian to being Bulgarian. Different world

AEW kinda ran an angle recently where Juice Robinson had a roll of quarters to hit MJF with, and a lot of people took it to be anti-semetic and what poor taste it was considering the Israeli war. Juice has been hitting people with quarters for years, but no matter, the angle was dropped immediately. Shit like that just doesn't fly anymore.

Similarly, I watched Survivor Series 90 the other day and Hogan says him and his team will enlist after they win their match lol

Roman becoming a Putin supporter?

They got away from current war events, it's a no-win deal.

My favorite era was 1990-summerslam 94
My very first wrestling memory is Todd Pettingill doing one of those in studio buildup for Summerslam 94 for the Bret vs Owen steel cage match. I was a Bret mark from then on out

In fairness, the WCW leftovers who actually came over right after the buy out, were pretty shit. I mean, who was really there, other than Booker? Hugh Morris? Billy Kidman? Buff Bagwell? They weren't exactly studs. I think the WCW guys who deserved success, eventually got it. Even a guy like Scott Steiner, who had some hype, absolutely sucked in the WWE, and he got a rocket strapped to his ass and was immediately thrust into a main event spot, which was one of the worst matches in history. WCW had way too many midcarders punching above their weight in WCW. Most of the WCW guys that came over, were just useless. WWE had MUCH higher standards, and regardless of booking, I think everything worked out naturally.
Don't disagree, The WCW roster in 2001 when it ended was pretty garbage.

Only folks I'm surprised didn't get snapped up at that time were some of the Mexican dudes like La Parka, Psicosis, Ultiimo Dragon, Juventud Guerrera , I'm sure there was good reason. I know Cruiserweight wasn't a huge factor for WWF at the time, and the Tag Team division was very stacked already.

Don't disagree, The WCW roster in 2001 when it ended was pretty garbage.

Only folks I'm surprised didn't get snapped up at that time were some of the Mexican dudes like La Parka, Psicosis, Ultiimo Dragon, Juventud Guerrera , I'm sure there was good reason. I know Cruiserweight wasn't a huge factor for WWF at the time, and the Tag Team division was very stacked already.
I can only assume that they had sweetheart deals, that paid them a lot to just sit on their asses(although, the WWE might not have been that interested in Lucha guys). That's pretty much why the "invasion" was such a shit show. The big names on guaranteed contracts opted to sit at home and get paid, rather than join the circus.

This was the same company that paid Sandman("Hardcore Hack"), like half a million dollars to just be there.

Yeah, most of the big names from WCW weren't there for the Invasion angle, but you forgot about DDP. DDP was booked horribly and went from being a top tier guy to a jobber in a matter of weeks during his feud with the Undertaker. And this was the fat, out of shape biker Taker that was putting on awful matches and burying talent during the early 2000s. Kanyon, who wasn't necessarily a top tier talent but a solid mid carder got dragged through the mud by Undertaker too.

They should have just waited to do the Invasion. Ric Flair and the NWO showing up in the WWF mere weeks after the Invasion ended was like pouring salt in the wound.

But hey at least RVD did pretty well for himself during this time.

You're right though, most of the top guys did eventually get their due.

80s era was also damn good if you watched multiple promotions. WWF was primarily for kids my age and it definitely appealed to me early on, but as soon as I got a bit older and found NWA/WCW, it was fire. Then to get even older and got to go back and watch stuff like WCCW its in hey day. Opened up so many new dynamics in wrestling.

It was cool seeing certain guys like Undertaker before they blew up, or guys like Flair finally jump over. The magazines back then would always have rankings and I remember the NWA/WCW guys would routinely beat out WWF guys and us kids would speculate who would win certain dream fights.

Watching the Road Warriors for example jump over to WWF was insane. It was like the justice league crossing over to marvel to take on the avengers.

Nah, the Attitude Era DVD ended with WM17.
Don't know of you're talking about a DVD specifically or the actual attitude era, but WM18 was when it ended.
Hollywood Hogan vs The Rock
Can't top that and Hogan turned face again not long after which another sign of the end.

Don't know of you're talking about a DVD specifically or the actual attitude era, but WM18 was when it ended.
Hollywood Hogan vs The Rock
Can't top that and Hogan turned face again not long after which another sign of the end.
WWE released an Attitude Era DVD. It ended with Austin turning heel and shaking hands with Vince at WM17.

WWE released an Attitude Era DVD. It ended with Austin turning heel and shaking hands with Vince at WM17.
A silly end point, since that storyline isn't even concluded until Austin turns face again.

But yeah, The Hulk vs The Rock needs it's own separate DVD anyway for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back