"Old timey" boxer you think would do best as a current boxer

uncookedpork**

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know these threads have occasionally been done before, but they are always fun and the new ideas and responses are interesting.

Call me crazy, but with his build and current training methods, I could see Bob Fitzsimmons being similar to a Tommy Hearns at light heavyweight or lower.

Long limbed liver punch anyone?

bobfitzsimmons.jpg

box_g_hearns_kinchen1_576.jpg

We can't really judge just by size and body type. I think boxing was in it's infancy when FItzsimmons fought. Boxing peaked skillwise from the 30's-70's, and has steadily declined since then. That is not to say that we don't have highly skilled fighters.. that is just stating that the average fighter today is less skilled and knowledgeable than the average fighter back then. So the top fighters had tougher competition on average.

I'm not sure too man pre 30's fighters would do well vs. todays fighters. It was just a different sport back then. it is like asking what cricket player would make the best clean up hitter in baseball.

I'd love to see how a Prime Dempsey would do in today's HW division.

Dempsey vs Valuev would be lulz.

Gene Tunney would do just fine today. He was quick as hell, had a great jab and alot of ring smarts. I think of he would look like a better Serigo Martinez.

Cassius Clay

Come on he must be one of the most underachieving athletes ever. Up to this day no HW has ever been able to move like him laterally or moving back. That shows how much of a freak he was.

His underachiving came from the fact that he was too good for his own good which made him more lazy and sloppy since he could get away with it.

Only thing is, Marciano, Dempsey, Louis......they would be considered cruiserweights now. And they would all kick some major ass there.

We can't really judge just by size and body type. I think boxing was in it's infancy when FItzsimmons fought. Boxing peaked skillwise from the 30's-70's, and has steadily declined since then. That is not to say that we don't have highly skilled fighters.. that is just stating that the average fighter today is less skilled and knowledgeable than the average fighter back then. So the top fighters had tougher competition on average.

I'm not sure too man pre 30's fighters would do well vs. todays fighters. It was just a different sport back then. it is like asking what cricket player would make the best clean up hitter in baseball.

Are you slow ?

Todays fighters have adopted techniques from all the best past boxers and have added some spice .

Boxing has evolved tremendously . Back then ali and sugar ray leonard were seen as boxing gods with unhuman like skill . Today we have many fighters that fight very similar if not greater skill wise .

P.S David haye , floyd mayweather , amir khan , oscar delahoya , pernell whitaker , Manny pacman , yurkois gamboa just too name a few . Fighters with styles like these were unheard of in the past .

the way boxing is evolving is freaking scary . 20 years from now we will have tons of mayweather and manny pacman clones i guarantee that.

ali and leanord were both pure boxers now we have scary ass hell BOXER/PUNCHER HYBRIDS LIKE GAMBOA

Are you slow ?

Todays fighters have adopted techniques from all the best past boxers and have added some spice .

Boxing has evolved tremendously . Back then ali and sugar ray leonard were seen as boxing gods with unhuman like skill . Today we have many fighters that fight very similar if not greater skill wise .

P.S David haye , floyd mayweather , amir khan , oscar delahoya , pernell whitaker , Manny pacman , yurkois gamboa just too name a few . Fighters with styles like these were unheard of in the past .

the way boxing is evolving is freaking scary . 20 years from now we will have tons of mayweather and manny pacman clones i guarantee that.

ali and leanord were both pure boxers now we have scary ass hell BOXER/PUNCHER HYBRIDS LIKE GAMBOA

Uhhh, Ali and Leanord were both boxer-punchers. And Gamboa hasn't shown anything that should put him on the level of Leanord

Are you slow ?

I sense some serious fucktardotry in your family

Boxing gyms have diminished greatly since the 70's. Fewer gyms means that fewer people are willing to devote their lives to molding fighters.. this means that there are fewer places for a fighter to get the proper education in the sweet science... that means that there are fewer fighters that understand the ins and outs of the sweet science.. simple shit here buddy.

I sense some serious fucktardotry in your family

Boxing gyms have diminished greatly since the 70's. Fewer gyms means that fewer people are willing to devote their lives to molding fighters.. this means that there are fewer places for a fighter to get the proper education in the sweet science... that means that there are fewer fighters that understand the ins and outs of the sweet science.. simple shit here buddy.

I really love that video, the only thing we have of Charley Burley that can show us his true skills is that 20 minute film of him against Oakland Billy Smith, and he was older and fighting against a Light Heavyweight for christ sakes. It's too bad we don't have more of his fights. From what I can see and since apparently in his prime he had incredible speed to go along with that great counterpunching, he seems to have a great style to have competed with Sugar Ray Robinson.

I really love that video, the only thing we have of Charley Burley that can show us his true skills is that 20 minute film of him against Oakland Billy Smith, and he was older and fighting against a Light Heavyweight for christ sakes. It's too bad we don't have more of his fights. From what I can see and since apparently in his prime he had incredible speed to go along with that great counterpunching, he seems to have a great style to have competed with Sugar Ray Robinson.

Yeah.. Ray is actually quoted as saying "I'm too handsome to fight Charley Burley".. he didnt want none.

Yeah.. Ray is actually quoted as saying "I'm too handsome to fight Charley Burley".. he didnt want none.

Ya I read about that, but Burley also said that if he ever got his title there was no way he would have risked it fighting someone like Ray Robinson, seems like they had mutual respect. It's one of the biggest robberies in sports history that Burley never even got a shot at the welterweight or middleweight titles.

Also, call me crazy here, but I'd like to submit Sam Langford to the discussion, his toughness and sheer tenacity would be a problem for anybody from lightweight all the way to heavyweight.

oh my god, what senseless drivel. if you think today's boxers have a tenth of the knowledge of yesterday fighters then you don't watch many old fights.

where's the feints? where's the stamina? where's the use of double jabs, bodywork, the list goes on and on? nowadays with their steroids and ridiculous pseudo trainers these clowns can't fight hard for more than six rounds and the pace slows painfully.

no conditioning, no skills, boxing has regressed in broad aspects of the game.

and anyone who can explain the 'spice' they've added wins a e-cookie

Also, call me crazy here, but I'd like to submit Sam Langford to the discussion, his toughness and sheer tenacity would be a problem for anybody from lightweight all the way to heavyweight.

I agree, Langford was a beast and an extremely hard puncher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back