Old School Half Guard Pass (Tripod)

goatfury

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
https://howtheyplay.com/individual-sports/The-Tripod-Guard-Pass-for-Half-Guard

I remember using the tripod pass in 2004 when competing as a purple belt at the Pan Ams. Half guard still wasn't very well understood, and this pass, which relies on very simple fundamental concepts, served me incredibly well for a number of years. It's one of the cornerstone methods of passing, and it's great to understand how to mitigate the most common risks associated with the pass. There are also some fairly modern tweaks we can make to the pass to help you stay on top.

i love tripod passing form half i like to get underhook the far side arm and over hook the near arm post my head right beside theres and can drive my head into them to bend there spine really kills there hp movement main thing with half is being able to stop there movement

This is still a mainstay of my game. If you can get to a 'good' half guard (for the top guy) it's extremely hard to stop.

i find passing half easy once i pass the knee shield knee shields use to give me tons of issues i like to cradle them like robert drysdale shows

Watched it on silent.

The main issue with this pass is obviously getting the dominant upper body grip. Although, I've often had difficulty getting my foot inside their leg. Any tips to force their leg into position such that you can easily swivel your foot in?

i find passing half easy once i pass the knee shield knee shields use to give me tons of issues i like to cradle them like robert drysdale shows

I just pick up the bottom leg. That clears the knee shield pretty fast.

Is the same pass that Marcelo refers to as the 'over under'?

I just pick up the bottom leg. That clears the knee shield pretty fast.
i do that at times if i know the guy doesn't have a good de la riva guard when you pick the bottom leg you have ti kinda stand which gives him reverse de la riva and a chance to spin under your base to sweep so like is aid depends

Is the same pass that Marcelo refers to as the 'over under'?
Probably, although there are likely notable differences. I've seen Marcelo use a very similar pass in competition dozens of times, but I've never seen him teach the way he does it.

I do appreciate one detail Marcelo uses - the knee push (with his foot). I practice this all the time nowadays.

For the person above who asked about getting your foot inside, you might consider not trying to do that. There are lots of ways to get your leg free without compromising your base like that.

It's amazing how much bjj has evolved over last 20 years.
Loved eddie in guard vs rickson after podcast.

I can usually get this pretty easily but I tried it on a fatter guy with giant calves today and my leg was completely stuck in place. I had to reset and go for a different pass

I can usually get this pretty easily but I tried it on a fatter guy with giant calves today and my leg was completely stuck in place. I had to reset and go for a different pass
You might try choking him unconscious with shoulder pressure.

Back