"old man martial arts"?

I recently started doing point fighting karate as an old man martial art. People still get blasted in light point fighting because these people lunge into one another like maniacs, but if you just counter strike and kick / but dont dive for chest punches, probably never get hurt.

Bonus, my hip flexability is getting really good.

Two idiots wanking each other off and spewing nonsense. Neither of you are qualified or in any position to talk about 'old man' martial arts.
BJJ is flat out the worst style you could ever do for old age.

Wing Chun can indeed be health promoting and will give you skills and power that remains with you in old age. The same is true of other internal styles which you have little to no exposure of and have no valid points to make about.

I do train and I have trained other styles and I do know.
You made a weak point, I clarified what you thought you were saying, and my original statement remains.
I am in late 30's, not too old in my book.

I'm still waiting for answers to my last post which you of course decided to ignore:

"What's your training background then? I'm ready to bet my house you've never stepped a foot in a Kyokushin dojo, or even trained in the other martial arts you give your opinion about."

Obviously I was right.

I'm still waiting for answers to my last post which you of course decided to ignore:

"What's your training background then? I'm ready to bet my house you've never stepped a foot in a Kyokushin dojo, or even trained in the other martial arts you give your opinion about."
The point I was making - that an art that involves full contact sparring like Kyokushin - is not suitable for old guys remains, no matter how much you try to spin it.

I have done plenty of bareknuckle body conditioning to be able to relate to and understand that type of training even if I haven't specifically trained in that particular art.
My own training background is Judo and Wing Chun.

That fact that some older people can train 'kyokoshun lite' or 'kata-kushin' is irrelevant to the point I was making.

The point I was making - that an art that involves full contact sparring like Kyokushin - is not suitable for old guys remains, no matter how much you try to spin it.

I have done plenty of bareknuckle body conditioning to be able to relate to and understand that type of training even if I haven't specifically trained in that particular art.

That fact that some older people can train 'kyokoshun lite' or 'kata-kushin' is irrelevant to the point I was making.

Ok so you don't know what it's like training in Kyokushin since you never stepped in a Kyokushin dojo but you know all about who old is too old to do it. Gotcha.

You're TheMaster at pretending to know about martial arts you've never been training.

Ok so you don't know what it's like training in Kyokushin since you never stepped in a Kyokushin dojo but you know all about who old is too old to do it. Gotcha.

You're TheMaster at pretending to know about martial arts you've never been training.
LoL.
I don't have to have trained in it to know that getting punched full contact in the body and getting kicked in the head isn't suitable for old people.
Same with Muay Thai.

Just stop.

LoL.
I don't have to have trained in it to know that getting punched full contact in the body and getting kicked in the head isn't suitable for old people.
Same with Muay Thai.

Just stop.

You just don't know.

Training in martial arts such as Kyokushin and Muay Thai can always be adapted to one's age, goals and fitness levels.

This guy is 58 training Muay Thai, and of course in this example he's an ex-fighter and his fitness level and technical level is already good so that's why they're going at it in sparring but they're not going to throw him into a fight or hard sparring with a young 20 year old his weight. He's having fun, still learning and keeping fit and sharp. If someone was to start Muay Thai at his age without previous experience they'd teach them basics, make them hit some pads and work a bit on some fitness and conditioning exercises. It doesn't mean that martial art isn't for them, you just have to go with what you're capable of doing and improve on those without causing injury.

Just because it's a full contact sport it doesn't mean you'll be punched and kicked full force when you step into the gym / dojo as a 50+ year old.

I get it, you want to promote your Wing Chun, but realistically while I don't want to say bad things about Wing Chun, there is nothing stopping that older person to train in something like Muay Thai. If anything I can guarantee you I'd get that old person fitter via training Muay Thai than Wing Chun and they'd actually be learning how to throw a proper punch and perhaps even somewhat know some basics about how to clinch, knee and elbow. I wouldn't waste their time teaching something that doesn't really work and giving them a false sense of confidence.

You just don't know.

Training in martial arts such as Kyokushin and Muay Thai can always be adapted to one's age, goals and fitness levels.

This guy is 58 training Muay Thai, and of course in this example he's an ex-fighter and his fitness level and technical level is already good so that's why they're going at it in sparring but they're not going to throw him into a fight or hard sparring with a young 20 year old his weight. He's having fun, still learning and keeping fit and sharp. If someone was to start Muay Thai at his age without previous experience they'd teach them basics, make them hit some pads and work a bit on some fitness and conditioning exercises. It doesn't mean that martial art isn't for them, you just have to go with what you're capable of doing and improve on those without causing injury.

Just because it's a full contact sport it doesn't mean you'll be punched and kicked full force when you step into the gym / dojo as a 50+ year old.

I get it, you want to promote your Wing Chun, but realistically while I don't want to say bad things about Wing Chun, there is nothing stopping that older person to train in something like Muay Thai. If anything I can guarantee you I'd get that old person fitter via training Muay Thai than Wing Chun and they'd actually be learning how to throw a proper punch and perhaps even somewhat know some basics about how to clinch, knee and elbow. I wouldn't waste their time teaching something that doesn't really work and giving them a false sense of confidence.

I don't disagree with what you are saying and it was a good post.

In the very adapted versions of the arts that are more suitable for older age you will find more commonality with some of the internal arts I was talking about.

It's just that some arts are trained from this vantage point to begin with, whereas some come to the same conclusions a different way.

Curious to know if any of you transitioned to a more "gentle" art later in life? I spent 20 years in Enshin/Kyokuhshin and MT before injuries, life and maybe a bit of age and wisdom caused me to step aside. Now in my 50's, I miss the training and learning aspect of martial arts and am considering trying tai chi or even wing chin just for the learning and form style training without the brain trauma.
For those who may have done this or considered that type of switch, how did your former, full-contact or mma mindset adapt?

A bit late to this - but I'd recommend any Okinawan Karate style tbh.

It's similar to Kyokushin/Enshin which you are familiar with.

Has similar conditioning but is significantly lighter on the sparring aspects than Kyokushin.

In fact the times I've attended Okinawan karate classes back in the day - most of them included guys who had done another style in their youth (usually something full contact) and had transitioned to this.

If that is your background no wonder you reply the way you do.

There are quite a lot of old folks in Kyokushin. Just turn up at a dojo and they're there.

Kyokushin is fine for older people as long as you aren't in a competition orientated dojo.

You just don't know.

I'll say it.

The purpose of martial arts aside from physical fitness is also being able to defend yourself adequately.

IMO you're better off finding another art even in old age if you want that because both aspects do not shine in Wing Chun IMO.

Sure there might be a few Wing Chun savages - but generally speaking they produce guys that cannot do either of those things when push comes to shove.

Brazilian jiu jitsu would be great if you could find a class that catered to the older crowd. The problem arises when a 58 year old is paired with a 25 year old who wants to be a cage fighter Lol

Curious to know if any of you transitioned to a more "gentle" art later in life? I spent 20 years in Enshin/Kyokuhshin and MT before injuries, life and maybe a bit of age and wisdom caused me to step aside. Now in my 50's, I miss the training and learning aspect of martial arts and am considering trying tai chi or even wing chin just for the learning and form style training without the brain trauma.
For those who may have done this or considered that type of switch, how did your former, full-contact or mma mindset adapt?

Tai chi is pretty awesome tbh sir.

My grandfather practiced taekwondo all his life, but is now retired. My grandfather is 70, every time I see him, he wants to fight with me. I'm not sure how our fight can end.

Just knock him the fock out and then tell him "see tae kwon do is shite".

Two idiots wanking each other off and spewing nonsense. Neither of you are qualified or in any position to talk about 'old man' martial arts.
BJJ is flat out the worst style you could ever do for old age.

Wing Chun can indeed be health promoting and will give you skills and power that remains with you in old age. The same is true of other internal styles which you have little to no exposure of and have no valid points to make about.

How are you qualified to speak about how it feels to train at 60 yo?

Reading your original posts, i thought you were some old timer with knowledge and experience. But you're not.

You're younger than me, and you think you know the best ways to keep active as you get much older?

Just stop now.

posters here are half as misogynistic but twice as arrogant imo.

i agree with you though. Good training partners makes the difference. Like I said early ITT our head instructor is 50 and just took seconds at masters worlds. We’ve got a whole bunch of old guys who train jits and they stick with themselves and the upper belts

Unfortunately, this isnt always simple.

I probably look about 10 years younger than my age ( 39 ), have a reasonably naturally muscular physique, and i tend to attract young studs to roll with me , and it can be brutal.

I think alot of people probably find it difficult to say 'no i dont want to roll with you' etc. Especially when the pairing up is done pretty quickly , and youre left with the 22 yo 210lb stud whos not long joined, and is all ego. LOL

I sometimes feel that if i looked like alot of my balding, out of shape friends, then people might see me differently, and i could get more relaxed rolls.

And for the record, i love the scraps, and i feel like that is definitely the best way to move forward in the sport. But my beat up joints from 20+ years of weight training, kickboxing, boxing and grappling just dont cope well, and im always finding somethings aching.

Unless youve been at the club for numerous years, then i think its a difficult one for you to say to partners you're not rolling with them, or to coaches that your body isnt up to rolling with kids.

How are you qualified to speak about how it feels to train at 60 yo?

Reading your original posts, i thought you were some old timer with knowledge and experience. But you're not.

You're younger than me, and you think you know the best ways to keep active as you get much older?

Just stop now.
I may not be an old timer but I have been at it long enough to know how the body reacts to different forms of training.
I also can make a generalization from seeing people of advanced age doing the art to a high level, and that in a style like BJJ they generally stop and kind of proper training as they approach late 50's, or need multiple surgeries and this goes for even people like Rickson.

In contrast systems like Wing Chun there are top guys still vigorously practicing into their 70's and beyond.

So yes analysis can be made even before personally reaching that age

I also agree with some of the analysis here that very toned down version of arts like Kyokushin (minus sparing and hard conditioning) can be done to older ages.

I am 60. I spent 25 years doing BJJ and 15 doing Shotokan. This is the first time I have logged into Sherdog in a long time.

I stopped BJJ for good in 2021. Best decision I ever made.

At some point, everyone stops. The wise thing is stop before it wrecks you. I am lucky. All my joints work. I have no permanent injuries. My job now is to stay healthy and fit. I stretch, lift weights, and run 6 days a week. I feel infinitely better physically than when I was training full time. Nothing hurts. I can move my arms and twist my neck without pain.

I did it. I got the tshirt. The skills I have now are the ones I have to be content with. If I need to defend myself, I have skills that won't go away. It is not like I am going to forget how to do a rear naked choke or execute a good punch. Obviously, I could still loose. But, at least I have a game plan.

Now, I can pursue other activities - hunting, fishing, mountain biking, ect... Time to move on. There is a season for everything.
I have only been here a few times in many years myself. Good to see some of the old stand up forum crew still here. Doctor Taco, Panamaican, and yourself are all names I recognize. The topic sucked me in, as I recently joined the over 55 crowd. I have found lifting is the best medicine for my joints due to 42yrs of kickboxing and karate. While they have left some wear and tear, it was taking up BJJ, catch wrestling, and MMA classes a little after I joined here, that busted me up. Had a distal clavicle fracture with grade 3 separation, right knee surgery, and a herniated disc in a 5yr span.

I stopped training Shotokan last year. That was the last sparring I did too. I wasn't enjoying it anymore. Now I just do a lot of heavy bag and pad work.

Someone was curious about the effects of decades of stand up fighting on over 50 folks? Speaking for myself, I don't throw many round kicks anymore, or my knees will make me pay later. I do throw front and rear leg front kicks, side kicks, and spin back, side, and hook kicks. Mainly focus on boxing though. And instead of shadow boxing I virtual box with Thrill of the Fight.

I don't know when I will be too old to train striking, but right now it feels like a long ways off. Hence, I won't be providing any advice about which pajama dancing club to join. Instead, my advice is get in the weight room, but be smart about it. Search out which lifts and exercises will help you rehab any nagging injuries and physical issues.

As to my user name - I still surf now an then, but nothing like I used to. It is crazy how beat up I am afterwards. That said, I do feel damned good all things considered. I have to give some credit to giving up caffeine, eating very little red meat, doing really good staying away from anything with added sugar, and eating a ton of living greens.

Stoked to see you guys are all doing well. Warms me heart.

I recently started doing point fighting karate as an old man martial art. People still get blasted in light point fighting because these people lunge into one another like maniacs, but if you just counter strike and kick / but dont dive for chest punches, probably never get hurt.

Bonus, my hip flexability is getting really good.
Another name I recognize. Good to see you still getting it done. Hard to stop training once the bug bites you. Looks like you are another lifer. {<redford}

I have only been here a few times in many years myself. Good to see some of the old stand up forum crew still here. Doctor Taco, Panamaican, and yourself are all names I recognize. The topic sucked me in, as I recently joined the over 55 crowd. I have found lifting is the best medicine for my joints due to 42yrs of kickboxing and karate. While they have left some wear and tear, it was taking up BJJ, catch wrestling, and MMA classes a little after I joined here, that busted me up. Had a distal clavicle fracture with grade 3 separation, right knee surgery, and a herniated disc in a 5yr span.

I stopped training Shotokan last year. That was the last sparring I did too. I wasn't enjoying it anymore. Now I just do a lot of heavy bag and pad work.

Someone was curious about the effects of decades of stand up fighting on over 50 folks? Speaking for myself, I don't throw many round kicks anymore, or my knees will make me pay later. I do throw front and rear leg front kicks, side kicks, and spin back, side, and hook kicks. Mainly focus on boxing though. And instead of shadow boxing I virtual box with Thrill of the Fight.

I don't know when I will be too old to train striking, but right now it feels like a long ways off. Hence, I won't be providing any advice about which pajama dancing club to join. Instead, my advice is get in the weight room, but be smart about it. Search out which lifts and exercises will help you rehab any nagging injuries and physical issues.

As to my user name - I still surf now an then, but nothing like I used to. It is crazy how beat up I am afterwards. That said, I do feel damned good all things considered. I have to give some credit to giving up caffeine, eating very little red meat, doing really good staying away from anything with added sugar, and eating a ton of living greens.

Stoked to see you guys are all doing well. Warms me heart.
love hearing that you’re still active. I’m 38 and still holding pads too many hours a week but lifting has made a huge difference in how I feel when sunday rolls around. I’ve come to enjoy it honestly, there’s something nice about having the gym not be a social thing. I’ve been taking or teaching classes for almost 20 years so getting to show up, put my ear buds in and not talk to people is nice

there’s something nice about having the gym not be a social thing. I’ve been taking or teaching classes for almost 20 years so getting to show up, put my ear buds in and not talk to people is nice
I was having a hard time putting my finger on what I was feeling, but that's it; I am over the social aspect of training. My son recently finished his Bachelor's in Comp Sci and is still living at home. I enjoy training him. Otherwise I train alone since I have everything here at the house.

Back