Okami = Fitch = Lindland

Travillione

Orange Belt
Reaction score
All three of these guys were cut by the UFC despite being firmly in the top 10 and you know what? The UFC was better off for it. The only thing these fighters were good for was putting people to sleep and beating potential contenders while losing to the top guys. In the end none of them are missed and they eventually drop from the top 10 and become forgotten all together.

What sherdog posters fail to realize is that they are not what drives the success of the UFC. They represent a very small minority of the overall viewership of the product and tend to have views that don't make any sense from a business standpoint. The average UFC fan does not post on the forums and doesn't go online looking up imaginary rankings. They just watch the cards in hopes of being entertained. What do the three guys in the title have in common? They aren't entertaining. They are the opposite of that.

If you provide no entertainment value, no personality and no marketability then you're useless as a fighter regardless of your rank and record. It's always been this way in prize fighting and always will be.

Okami can go win the bellator title since he beat hector Lombard

All three of these guys were cut by the UFC despite being firmly in the top 10 and you know what? The UFC was better off for it. The only thing these fighters were good for was putting people to sleep and beating potential contenders while losing to the top guys. In the end none of them are missed and they eventually drop from the top 10 and become forgotten all together.

What sherdog posters fail to realize is that they are not what drives the success of the UFC. They represent a very small minority of the overall viewership of the product and tend to have views that don't make any sense from a business standpoint. The average UFC fan does not post on the forums and doesn't go online looking up imaginary rankings. They just watch the cards in hopes of being entertained. What do the three guys in the title have in common? They aren't entertaining. They are the opposite of that.

If you provide no entertainment value, no personality and no marketability then you're useless as a fighter regardless of your rank and record. It's always been this way in prize fighting and always will be.

my roommate and i can put on a talentless fight...why not watch that

What I want to know is how the fuck is GSP still got a job?

The Hell is this shit, fucking Wana White!

I agree those were fighters were/are talented but god dam they were boring. I'm not going to miss Okami. Maybe if he goes to another org and gets a some finishes he can come back.

The UFC should first and foremost be about putting the best fighters against each other. If entertainment value supersedes this, than it it no longer a legitimate organization. Had Fitch or Okami been cut as they were climbing the ranks prior to their title fights, it would have been a bogus move. I was bummed when Lindland was cut, because I thought, in his prime, that he could have posed an interesting challenge to Franklin and Silva. If entertainment is all that matters to you, go watch pro wrestling.

My 3 favorite fighters is another thing they have in common

The UFC should first and foremost be about putting the best fighters against each other. If entertainment value supersedes this, than it it no longer a legitimate organization. Had Fitch or Okami been cut as they were climbing the ranks prior to their title fights, it would have been a bogus move. I was bummed when Lindland was cut, because I thought, in his prime, that he could have posed an interesting challenge to Franklin and Silva. If entertainment is all that matters to you, go watch pro wrestling.

The UFC is a business. If people aren't buying tickets and PPVs then it cannot survive. The aforementioned fighters don't help them do this. Therefore they are bad for business.

You're an idiot and you have very little understanding and or respect for the sport

Because he's their most marketable fighter.

I think that is full of shit no one outside of Canada has any interest in buying his PPV fights anymore. Yeah he may be a winner but there is a reason why he never fights in the States because they know he cannot sell a fight and that no American is going to bother to watch that fucker.How is he any different from a Fitch or Okami? The thing is he isn't.

TS probably also watches WWE because it is exciting.

Lindland was at his peak when the UFC cut him. He was probably going to be the next champ, and that would have been a nightmare for them. He was a pain their ass a lot of the time and he wasn't very marketable. Right after he was cut he beat Rampage pretty solidly, IMO, it should be added as an honorable mention to the Sherdog's Worst Decisions article.

the problem i have with this is that it shouldnt be about 'what drives the success of the UFC'.
MMA is a sport, and if you can compete and hang at the very top of the pile, it shouldnt be up to a couple of guys to decide whether they are allowed to do that or not.

All three of these guys i have the utmost respect for, often dull as fuck to watch, and often watched on ff. But they all proved worthy of fighting in the big league, and holding top 5 spots. Its sucks that Zuffa can just wave their collective wands and dump them into relative obscurity.

Back