Oh my god it was horrible

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by vanguard_anon, Nov 22, 2005.

1. vanguard_anon

vanguard_anon Clever user title

Ever have one of those days where *everybody* just owns you? When you're lucky to even get a one sweep in a 5 minute roll that's mostly just defense and tapping. I've had two of those sessions in a row now.

I was on my back trying to breathe while somebody was shoving his knee into my chest and I was thinking, "This isn't even fun tonight." It's a good time for Thanksgiving to come along and give me a little break.

Here's my question for the forum. I'm eating dinner after class right now. On a day like this does mint chocolate chip ice cream count as my green vegetable?

2. BulldogSIX

BulldogSIX Orange Belt

Only with sprinkles.

3. Kawlinz

Kawlinz How do I change my Custom User Title?

It's the only green I eat.

4. flyingknee16

flyingknee16 Brown Belt

I've had those retarded days too.

Just relax and enjoy your days off! hahaha

5. Commissar

Commissar Gold Belt

hahaha I know what you mean. One night, you lay bodies in your wake.

The next, you're tapped by everyone, and their dog.

6. Brooklyn

Brooklyn Green Belt

Dont listen to the posts above.

He lies.

You must commit suicide to purge the scourge of failure that plagues the earth.

You also must give me 50 cents.

7. Ybot

Ybot Purple Belt

Dude, the break will be good. And I bet you'll come back stronger. Sometimes when I have been having off days I'll take a break, and all of a sudden when I come back things are much better.

Wait, rereading your post I see your problem. You need to start eating the mint chocolate chip before you train. You going in mal-nurished.

8. Gsoares2***

Gsoares2*** Banned Banned

happens bro.. i think this escapes alot of people.

To me,the Essence of jiu jitsu is getting over this feeling of doing bad. As long as you are training, trying new things, your doing good. Everyone says the term "leave the ego at the door" and almost no one does it. If you truely leave your ego at the door, you wont give a shit.. As you get more experienced and older you should be more humble and care less about who you beat and who beats you. You are all training to get better.... so why when five of your other class mates better them self by beating you; are you feeling like shit? You should be happy to see them do better. If your not trying hard enough, then your just not trying hard enough...

There is more to learn in jiu jitsu than just techniques... The biggest goal is getting over this feeling we that tapping means you suck.....The faster you do, the faster youll get better.

The short answer:
    Grow the fuck up.

9. Soulfly

Soulfly Guest

Like everyone said - good timing for the break.

Relax and enjoy the time off.

10. pitviper259

pitviper259 Guest

i need an ego boost do you wanna roll??

11. LCDforMe

LCDforMe Purple Belt

I had one of those sessions about 2 nights ago. One of the fighters and I were rolling and he was destroying me. The longest roll before I tapped was maybe 75 seconds and about 35 of that was me fighting off a RNC. It sucked. He's cool though.

12. Bubble Boy

Bubble Boy Black Belt

Mint chocolate chip is the best ever. Binge your sorrows away my brother, binge them away...

13. Bubba_gump

Bubba_gump Green Belt

Ice cream = sugar, sugar = adrenaline rush, adrenaline rush = anticipation of the next roll.

All of us have good days and bad days. If you're having all good days, you're not training hard enough or training with the right people cuz nobody is that good.

14. Richard Emling

Richard Emling Black Belt Professional Fighter

read the sig

15. phenomfan1529

phenomfan1529 Brown Belt

ive had these kinda days the whole week

wish i had some ice cream:(

16. Oktavius**

Oktavius** Brown Belt

Ive just had the opposite few days :) , ive been doing realy great the last few nights and feel like my game is opening up and developing to new hights.

Hope this makes you feel better :)

17. sanuces

sanuces Orange Belt

im finding that its those kinda nights that make you better. lately, i haven't been incredibly focused while rolling so i found myself having to defend against subs all night and play defense while side mounted. i get what youre saying and its hella frustrating at times, especially when youve been on a roll, but i look at those nights as a time to learn more about myself and ask questions about what im doing.

and yes, mint chocolate chip is a veggie

18. Rai_Polo

Rai_Polo White Belt

I had the same night last night.. Got subbed hard by this guys same belt as me and then got totally owned by a noob when I gassed and he passed my guard. Didn't sub me but almost took my back and then took mount a few times.. I felt like crying, but then I went home to my wife and she made me feel better.. Life isn't all about jiu jitsu.

19. Coach Couzo

Coach Couzo Orange Belt

If I had stuck around to roll with you instead of dodge you, you're day would have dramatically improved. Plus, don't beat yourself up when you're one of the only white belts who stick around to roll after class. You are comparing yourself to people who have years of mat experience, and, yet, still maintain their youth. (?)

It

20. SKD

SKD Blue Belt

I've had those days too. The most recent was after I had eaten too much and had a glass of wine before training (some function). I felt like I wanted to throw up.

I also notice some days when I'm just deflated, I get owned by guys who weigh 10 kilos less than me. I think it is a mental thing, how much fight is left in me on the day. Those days do get me thinking, but I don't think too much if you understand what I mean (ie. I don't think negatively about it all). I found the way to deal with it is just put it down as a bad day and try and learn something from it.