• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Official Women's Division Discussion #27

From her comment section on Facebook:

View media item 33843
In her post she confirms that she was offered a title fight on a THREE WEEKS NOTICE, she accepted but the bout didn't materialize.

Her reply to that comment also confirms the timeline:

Ribas fight on the works, but never officially announced because she got an offer to fight Zhang in short notice, which she accepted but the bout didn't happen. Never officially announced either.

Dana White issues a public warning to Namajunas and her team, and brings Carla Esparza up as the next title contender. No official opponent for Weili yet, STILL waiting on Rose to sign the contract. Carla is now publicly asking for the fight she was offered.

Meanwhile Pat Berry says they didn't turn down a title fight, "who would ever turn down a title fight?", after Rose herself stated that she indeed, turned down a title fight against Zhang earlier, because she wasn't ready:

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/03/rose-namajunas-turned-down-title-shot-zhang-weili-ufc-248

TL;DR: The UFC has been trying to book Zhang VS Namajunas since March/Right after UFC 248. Namajunas has turned down the offer (allegedly more than once, it seems), matchmakers/UFC pressured her privately by trying to "book" Zhang VS Esparza, but due to her continuous requests for more time, Dana White publicly sent out a warning and confirmed that Esparza is in title contention, probably as a last result to book Zhang VS Namajunas. Now Carla rightfully wants the title opportunity she was offered, but not really because they were just using her to pressure Rose.

Meanwhile Joanna just finished her training at ATT, and is heading back to Poland for the holidays. While Yan Xiaonan has publicly said she wants to fight Weili, and will more than likely fight Ribas in a title eliminator, if Amanda beats Marina Rodriguez. Weili Zhang seems to be silent.

Kudos to Carla and Rose for publicly refuting the ufc's dishonest bullying tactics.
When Dana says this about fighters like Dustin I would agree with what you said but Rose has a history of not wanting to fight. Multiple times she has hinted at wanting to retire. She only fights once a year and its a struggle for her to even do that. While she is the more interesting fight, I rather watch Zhang fight other people than waiting for Rose's timeline to sign. I can't remember this far back due to personal issues I had around the time but I have heard multiple people say they been trying to make this fight since March. How many Zhang fights could we have had if they did not have a hard on for her to fight Rose? If Zhang could have fought twice since then we might start realistically talking about Zhang vs Valentina about now.

When Dana says this about fighters like Dustin I would agree with what you said but Rose has a history of not wanting to fight. Multiple times she has hinted at wanting to retire. She only fights once a year and its a struggle for her to even do that. While she is the more interesting fight, I rather watch Zhang fight other people than waiting for Rose's timeline to sign. I can't remember this far back due to personal issues I had around the time but I have heard multiple people say they been trying to make this fight since March. How many Zhang fights could we have had if they did not have a hard on for her to fight Rose? If Zhang could have fought twice since then we might start realistically talking about Zhang vs Valentina about now.

Yeah, agree with you there Rizz. Still think it's funny that by being 'unavailable' Rose is sort of turning the tables on the ufc.

Guess I don't blame a fighter so much for 'holding up the division' as much as I do the ufc. Ufc wants the money and will do anything to get it. Including claiming that someone's ducking. UFC couldI apply uniform standards to length of time before it strips someone of a title. But it doesn't have the guts to do so to a popular fighter because it wants profit above all. See for example how it loves the moolah from McGregor & Khabib & applies different standards to them.

Of note because I liked her on TUF & followed it at the time. Ufc threatened to strip Nicco Montano just a few months after her title fight, which she knowingly fought on a broken foot. But Nicco never had a lot of instagram followers.

Yeah, agree with you there Rizz. Still think it's funny that by being 'unavailable' Rose is sort of turning the tables on the ufc.

Guess I don't blame a fighter so much for 'holding up the division' as much as I do the ufc. Ufc wants the money and will do anything to get it. Including claiming that someone's ducking. UFC couldI apply uniform standards to length of time before it strips someone of a title. But it doesn't have the guts to do so to a popular fighter because it wants profit above all. See for example how it loves the moolah from McGregor & Khabib & applies different standards to them.

Of note because I liked her on TUF & followed it at the time. Ufc threatened to strip Nicco Montano just a few months after her title fight, which she knowingly fought on a broken foot. But Nicco never had a lot of instagram followers.
I pretty much agree with everything you said. I also would love uniform standards and a algorithm based ranking system, but sadly it will never happen.

Oh yea, I forgot to say Felicia Spencer had an interview where she said her MMA hiatus is for brain health. She knows she took a lot of damage in her fight vs Nunes so she is taking time off to heal up if she has any non noticeable brain injuries.

Amidst all the Rose kerfuffle the flyweight title fight has flown under the radar. Bet that took a lot of arranging:

"Do you want to defend your belt?"
"да"
"Do you want a title fight?"
"Sim"

Wonder if the UFC actually wanted to put on another female ppv double-header. Might explain why they tried for so long to sign Rose, who is obviously a bigger attraction than Carla. Where that leaves Joanna I don't know.

Weekend picks

Gillian Robertson vs. Taila Santos. Robertson.
The odds have it close. Santos may be physically stronger & if past performance is the indicator may hold an advantage at standup striking. Picking Robertson because she's been improving fight to fight. I feel she has the ability to win by either submission or decision.

Pannie Kianzad vs. Sijara Eubanks. Eubanks.

Oh yea, I forgot to say Felicia Spencer had an interview where she said her MMA hiatus is for brain health. She knows she took a lot of damage in her fight vs Nunes so she is taking time off to heal up if she has any non noticeable brain injuries.

AND the cyborg fight <Eek2.0>

spencer has a great chin, much to her detriment...

What is going on with Ham? Rumor was she signed with One but last I remember when asked the head guy never confirmed it and I have not heard anything about it since. Was it confirmed that she signed and I missed it?

What is going on with Ham? Rumor was she signed with One but last I remember when asked the head guy never confirmed it and I have not heard anything about it since. Was it confirmed that she signed and I missed it?
Nothing confirmed. Her teammate and main training partner Si Woo Park fights tomorrow in the main event at DEEP JEWELS 31: https://www.deepjewels.com/

Who are these people? Rose vs Andrade 2 was booked for April was the plan to pull her from this fight to fight Zhang? Then the pandemic hit and it was pushed to July are they/you suggesting rose/team turned down a lucrative title fight for a tough rematch? We all saw rose's face get busted even if it was someone who likes to turn around quick it'd still be months.
Zhang herself had trouble getting out of China even before this was a worldwide problem.
So anyone pretending there were real talks with rose before maybe Sept 2020 are full of shit.

Last edited:
Weekend picks

Gillian Robertson vs. Taila Santos. Robertson.
The odds have it close. Santos may be physically stronger & if past performance is the indicator may hold an advantage at standup striking. Picking Robertson because she's been improving fight to fight. I feel she has the ability to win by either submission or decision.

Pannie Kianzad vs. Sijara Eubanks. Eubanks.
I'm picking Robertson & Kianzad but that's maybe because I like them.

Back