• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Official Women's Division Discussion #27

Murphy/Shakirova - Shakirova DEC :eek:

Maverick/Jubjub: Maverick RNC RD2

Gotta pick Maverick vs a Soviet fighter.
SpotlessAstonishingBigmouthbass-max-1mb.gif

Murphy is one of those veterans who only lose to goodish fighters, so I can't see a late replacement newcomer like Shakirova adding her name to the list.

Miranda Maverick strikes me as being a very emotional, driven fighter while Lika Jojua is calm and laid back. Don't really want to see either of them lose but I guess it'll be the Georgian because she wants it less.

Talking about fighters from the Russian near abroad, I see Val IG'd a snap of herself and the recently deposed president of Kyrgyzstan, wonder how that will go down with the new rulers.

Last edited:

I like Teo’s cool confidence going into this rematch, but not sure if it’s enough to pick her to win.

With Macedo being 1-4 and Curran going 1-6 I do hope the UFC realise that folk also want to see more of Jojua, win, lose or draw. If Macedo can pick up two bonuses surely Lika deserves one for her cute curtsy alone.

Take aways:

Jojua may have a big nose but it is also very strong.

Dana having to ask Maverick who she was, don't you even watch Invicta ya goof.

Remember when they put Chook/Calderwood as the card opener of 238, really they were very generous putting Murphy on the main card.

Why hasn't anyone posted that dead orchard finish? I've never heard of a dead orchard but I thought you guys loved that little gal.

Remember when they put Chook/Calderwood as the card opener of 238, really they were very generous putting Murphy on the main card.

1. Chookagian doesn't bring in casuals or any excitement, people shit on her fighting style and the UFC seems to be on board with them. If she was ever on a main card, it was because her opponent has a name (Andrade) or is the champion (Shevchenko).

2. Murphy was on the main card solely because the UFC has an unexplainable fascination with Cynthia Calvillo. She pulled out, and they rarely remove bouts from main cards (they usually bump a prelim to the main card if needed), so Murphy remained there. Had Shakirova been the original opponent from the beginning, they would've been in the early prelims too. Murphy is in the same situation as Chookagian, the fandom and media don't care for her, she'll only land a main card spot if she's fighting for a title or a name/UFC pet.

Lol @ that Shakirov girl in the UFC. Did the bookies and the UFC not look into her record at all? They talked her up saying she just came from a 5 round title fight in the regionals while she was walking out. They didn't mention that the girl she beat was 1-1 at the time and had only beaten a girl who was 0-4 or some nonsense. Two fights ago she was squeaking past girls who didn't have winning records by split decision haha.

All of Shak's wins were against girls with losing records except for one girl who was 5-1, but all that girl's wins came against mostly losing record fighters as well. That girl's best win was a girl who was 2-1 I think.

And the olympic team bullshit. It means nothing when you're in a country that is super underdeveloped wrestling wise, especially in terms of women. And if Mcman couldn't dominate Murphy on the mat, Shak sure as fuck wasn't going to.

Just an absolute joke of a match up all around. I went and tracked down all of Shak's fights to study her. Was going to do Murphy after, but after seeing Shak I didn't bother. I knew enough about Murphy and how the fight was going to go already.

Put a couple of thousand on Murphy. Easiest money I've made so far.

Maverick looked real good as well. I had her and Murphy in a parlay along with Casey Kenney. Ended up taking Miranda out because I just over analyzed both fighters to the point where I started to convince myself that Miranda falling into guard too easily against Pearl would mean she'd do the same to Jojua and get armbarred by Jojua's long legs. That was a dumb call but oh well.

I've seen Maverick's last 4 or so fights. Don't know if she'll ever get near the top, but she's fun to watch. Jojua on the other hand, probably needs to head to Invicta.

Lauren Murphy vs. Liliya Shakirova. The late notice replacement for Cynthia Calvillo was easy pickings for the more experienced Murphy. During the fight the commentators mentioned an interview Shakirova gave during fight week. Claiming Murphy was too slow ... too old ... too predictable. They described it while Murphy was schooling her every which way. LOL.

Miranda Maverick vs. Liana Jojua. Maverick looked strong in physical appearance and performance. Kudos to her & her team for being well-prepared for her ufc debut. I enjoyed Jojua's performance as well. She is tough and her striking has improved. Agree with others who would like to see her again. The doctor stoppage was a bummer. Not judging whether it should or shouldn't have been called. Just saying Jojua appeared ready to go out again and I wanted to see it too.

I'm going to disagree with the general consensus on the Murphy-Shakirova fight, that was not an easy win for Murphy and she was arguably losing the fight until Shak ran out of gas late in the 1st. The fight was pretty ugly with some nice moments, Shakirova was swinging punches while leaned forward with her head down. And actually landing. Then there's her complete lack of clinch defence, she kept bending herself over, getting grabbed by the neck and then punched & kneed. Did I mention Murphy crossing her feet all over the place while chasing Skak with arm punches, and the commentators calling this great striking? But we did have a couple nice teeps off the fence and jabs by Shak to keep Lauren off her, and Lauren finally learning what kicks are for to cut her off and stop the movement.

Let's just say I'm not impressed. Valentina's got a couple challengers lined up already so give Lauren a rematch with Katyn or reschedule the Calvillo fight.

Back