Official Women's Division Discussion #27

It's obviously a pure marketing decision - Hill as an afro-american gets the spot while De Randamie can be delegated into position of "dutch" - as they apparently share management, I hope they ran this thru with Gerrmaine, to avoid any potential embarassing moments.

Does calling her Watercan have to do with living in Esparzastan?

Hai Karate chop!!

/s I enjoy & respect both. And you too buddeh.

I just like to call her Wateringcan, not making a comment on her fighting prowess... I just find it funny sounding.

...of course that she actually is a can does make it all the better.
bork1}

Maybe I should call her Water's-daughter sometimes, that also has a nice cadence to it...

So I saw someone say something about it on Twitter, but of all Hill’s UFC wins, they have terrible records in the UFC, barring Maryna Moroz. Yoder 2-5, Moroz 5-2, Esquibel 0-4, Carnelossi 0-1, Cifers 2-5, Lookboonmee 1-1. Every ranked fighter she has faced, she lost. I know Waterson is coming in off two straight L’s, but I don’t understand Hill being the favorite in the betting odds.

fans are very 'what have you done for me lately' as we know, ppl probably just remember Hill fighting a lot lately and winning (& even her loss was debatable and to Gadelha who still carries name value), without thinking about who she has been beating; while Waterson has not been fighting as much, and when she has she lost, never mind that she only lost to elite fighters, such as Carla Esparza.

But also, most people still think of Watersdaughter as a striker (the nickname helps with that; maybe more fighters should adopt deceptive nicknames to deceive their opponents?) even though most of her UFC success has been due to grappling. If you thought Waterson vs Hill was just going to be a striking match, it's not so hard to see why Hill might be thought of as favourite in such a match.

Plus, @SeverianB hasn't been around as much lately to let everyone that Waterson is going to DESTROY Hill and correct their misconceptions.

////

I'm glad it's bumped up to 5 rounds, that makes for a more interesting fight. It's too bad we don't get more 115er main events, those extra rounds certainly add a lot of spice at the top levels especially. Both Hill and Michelle had exciting 5 rounders in Invicta (saying watching Waterson fight is like having AIDS is also very 'what have you done for me lately', that last fight was a one-off gameplan, incidentally Michelle said she wasn't going to gameplan anymore but just wanted to bang now, I guess in response to her failure in that last outing, even though it would suit her to grapple in this next bout) in the glory days where womyn's talent could be showcased in one banner and given that kind of platform, for ME's etc;
it's better overall that the UFC has all the talent now (because they get paid more, so can train more and train better, and more talent gets attracted in raising the overall level) but it's a shame that we don't get to see more of that kinda thing as a result.

fans are very 'what have you done for me lately' as we know, ppl probably just remember Hill fighting a lot lately and winning (& even her loss was debatable and to Gadelha who still carries name value), without thinking about who she has been beating; while Waterson has not been fighting as much, and when she has she lost, never mind that she only lost to elite fighters, such as Carla Esparza.

But also, most people still think of Watersdaughter as a striker (the nickname helps with that; maybe more fighters should adopt deceptive nicknames to deceive their opponents?) even though most of her UFC success has been due to grappling. If you thought Waterson vs Hill was just going to be a striking match, it's not so hard to see why Hill might be thought of as favourite in such a match.

Plus, @SeverianB hasn't been around as much lately to let everyone that Waterson is going to DESTROY Hill and correct their misconceptions.

////

I'm glad it's bumped up to 5 rounds, that makes for a more interesting fight. It's too bad we don't get more 115er main events, those extra rounds certainly add a lot of spice at the top levels especially. Both Hill and Michelle had exciting 5 rounders in Invicta (saying watching Waterson fight is like having AIDS is also very 'what have you done for me lately', that last fight was a one-off gameplan, incidentally Michelle said she wasn't going to gameplan anymore but just wanted to bang now, I guess in response to her failure in that last outing, even though it would suit her to grapple in this next bout) in the glory days where womyn's talent could be showcased in one banner and given that kind of platform, for ME's etc;
it's better overall that the UFC has all the talent now (because they get paid more, so can train more and train better, and more talent gets attracted in raising the overall level) but it's a shame that we don't get to see more of that kinda thing as a result.
I recall people mentioning that as an advantage for Demetrius Johnson during his reign. No other flyweights got five round experience in the UFC, so they weren’t as prepared. The same can be said for most women’s champions. Even most WMMA title fights aren’t main events, I believe this will be the first one to ME that’s not for a belt.

I recall people mentioning that as an advantage for Demetrius Johnson during his reign. No other flyweights got five round experience in the UFC, so they weren’t as prepared. The same can be said for most women’s champions. Even most WMMA title fights aren’t main events, I believe this will be the first one to ME that’s not for a belt.

There have been others

VanZant/Namajunas
Joanna/Waterson
Valentina/Pena
Holm/Valentina
Waterson/VanZant
De Randamie/Ladd
Eye/Calvillo

Raging Panda should be pushed further. I think if she gets another three fights (ranked in top 10) she can fight for the championship in 1.5 to 2 years.

Last night's fight was fun, yeah. Hopefully MDLR can take some confidence in her improved striking out of the loss vs. a quality striker, even though she never got any grappling done here and lost pretty clearly.

Rewatched Aldana/Smith with coffee today. It was probably more entertaining than I remembered it being, really worth the FOTY bonus. Loved how hard the crowd was behind them at the start of the 3rd round. I am now contemplating a rewatch of Aldana/Chook, but kinda worried it's too Chookagianish (don't really remember anything from the first viewing - so either I have been properly drunk, and/or it was truly forgettable). Should I?

Fun women's fight tonight I was more impressed with MDLR improved standup (although it was an easy way to lose without more grappling) then Araujo winning comfortably with her cleaner shots.

Well yes her standup looked improved but she also got beat very bloody and lost a very clear decision. I don't think backing up and trying to counter-strike is a very good gameplan vs someone way faster & who hits way harder (especially when you're not a striker yourself). This was Montana's first camp at Elevation, I'm not saying that's a bad gym or she won't improve there but I do think for their first outing with her they didn't programme their new toy with instructions that made good use of her preexisting skillset or gave her her best chance of winning...

Decisive unanimous decision win for Vivianne Araujo. Her sharp jabs and overhand right were effective & did more damage. Even with the height and reach disadvantage she found better range by darting in and out. Superior footwork, head movement and shot selection. Surprised De La Rosa didn't try taking it to the ground in round 3. Though not sure it would have made much difference in the outcome. I think Araujo is better conditioned and fought smarter all around.

Back