• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Official Women's Division Discussion #27

Friday May 14, 2021

[MMA/MUAY THAI] XKO 50 Arlington, Texas, USA
Main Card – iPPV (XKO.tv) – 8:00pm ET / 5:00pm PT
Caution Davis vs. Cristina Vital

[BOXING] Broadway Boxing: Ladies Night Murfreesboro, Tennessee, USA
Main Card – UFC Fight Pass – 8:30pm ET / 5:30pm PT
Heather Hardy vs. Jessica Camara
Alex Love vs. Mikiah Kreps
Carina Moreno vs. Natalie Gonzalez
Melissa St. Vil vs. Olivia Gerula
Stevie Jane Colemanvs. Kelsey Wickstrum
Tyler Tomlin vs. Tyrone Luckey

[MMA] LFA 107: Kirk vs. Swain Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
Main Card – UFC Fight Pass – 9:00pm ET / 6:00pm PT
Taylor Mauldin vs. Ambar De La Herran
Preliminary Card – Facebook – 8:00pm ET / 5:00pm PT
Alandria Brown vs. Shania Arredondo

[MMA] Combate Global Miami, Florida, USA
Main Card – Univision – 12:00am ET / 9:00pm PT
Ana Palacios vs. Yajaira Cunningham

Saturday May 15

[MMA] ONE Championship: Dangal Singapore tape delayed
Main Card – BR Live (US) / YouTube – 6:00am ET / 3:00am PT
Bi Nguyen vs. Ritu Phogat
Ayaka Miura vs. Rayane Bastos

[MMA] UFC 262: Oliveira vs. Chandler Houston, Texas, USA
Main Card – iPPV (ESPN+) – 10:00pm ET / 7:00pm PT
Katlyn Chookagian vs. Viviane Araujo
Preliminary Card – ESPN / ESPN+ – 8:00pm ET / 5:00pm PT
Andrea Lee vs. Antonina Shevchenko
Preliminary Card – ESPN+ – 6:30pm ET / 3:30pm PT
Gina Mazany vs. Priscila Cachoeira

[KICKBOXING] Rise on Abema 2 Tokyo, Japan
Main Card – Abema TV – 12:30am ET / 9:30pm PT
Hinata Terayama vs. Akari kickboxing bout

https://grabakahitman.com

262 is a great night for the flyweights, nice.

I'm picking Chookagian, Shevchenko, and Mazany.

Also, I'm not afraid to be shady, so I'll say it: Murphy vs Calderwood should only be a title eliminator if Murphy wins.

She says in almost every interview that it’s big about the money for her, it’s about being the best
New quote by Kayla from Ariels interview. "If Dana is ready to pay me a lot of money, I'll make him a lot of money."

It's always about the money and there is nothing wrong with that since this is prize fighting. PFL is paying her like a star before she is one. No way the other promotions go anywhere near the kind of money she is making now. Legacy is nice but yearly Million dollar checks are nicer. Her division is the worst in MMA so they struggle to even make her break sweat. All PFL's money is from investors so they don't care how much of a draw she is. There is no other fighter in a situation like this.

If you asked my personal beliefs. If Bellator or the UFC would pay her the same amount I think she would leave. She is too competitive and would love to be named the best ever. Call me crazy but I think she has a decent chance vs both Nunes and Cyborg. Kayla checks all the boxes except how is her striking if she can't get you down and is her cardio in a 5 round fight if she has to exert a lot of energy. The wonderful thing is I doubt there are many fighters who can stop her from taking them down or force her to expend energy.

There is a path to victory for Kayla vs Cyborg and Nunes. Vs Cyborg I would avoid her Berserker attacks and take her down. Like Jessica Andrade Cyborg is used to being the hammer. Put her on her back and turn her into a nail. Kayla has the grappling and strength to do that. Vs Nunes the path is clear. Nunes still has a cardio problem. The issue is you have to force grappling exchanges that causing Nunes to expend energy. That is exactly what Kayla is best at. As long as Kayla can avoid those bombs from Nunes at the start of the fight she is golden. By the time we get to the championship rounds if forced to grappler and expend energy Nunes will be too gassed to still big power in her punches.

After I finished typing that I ended up finding out something that might change the dynamics of Kayla leaving PFL a little. I thought PFL gave and extra Mil on top of purse if you win. It looks like the Million is what you are paid when you combine all the purses from all the fights you would have to win to be champion. IF this is the case then maybe she is not getting paid as much as we were lead to believe. For 3 fights a year she would only need a purse somewhere in the ballpark of 333k a fight. Maybe more to account for PFLs regular season purses. The UFC pay a lot of people that kind of money. I mean Overeem was making 800k a fight and he was not really a draw.

Picking Chook, Antonina & Mazany all by decision. So boring lol. Let’s see, thinking on how all three could lose.

Chook: Viviane cuts off the angle a couple times & slightly dusts her up on the feet. Gets her to the ground & slaps a sub quicker than Chook can get up & run.

Shev: Lee would land hard combos. Body head, body body, boom boom. She’d have to stay focused and not make a mistake like diving in at the wrong time. Also control in the clinch like backing AS up to the fence, landing elbows & knees. Do more damage. A tall order.

Mazany: Priscilla, fully recovered from injuries, nails her with a KO punch from heck. First round! Hiyaaa! Kaboom!

Always rooting for excitement. We’ll see. Going on this one with the more conservative decision making by the winners this time round.

After I finished typing that I ended up finding out something that might change the dynamics of Kayla leaving PFL a little. I thought PFL gave and extra Mil on top of purse if you win. It looks like the Million is what you are paid when you combine all the purses from all the fights you would have to win to be champion. IF this is the case then maybe she is not getting paid as much as we were lead to believe. For 3 fights a year she would only need a purse somewhere in the ballpark of 333k a fight. Maybe more to account for PFLs regular season purses. The UFC pay a lot of people that kind of money. I mean Overeem was making 800k a fight and he was not really a draw.

The playoffs/championship is three fights. There’s still the “regular season” before that.

The playoffs/championship is three fights. There’s still the “regular season” before that.
Yea that is why I put the "Maybe more to account for PFLs regular season purses." part. Now the interesting question is how much does she make per regular season fight and how much fights is the PFL regular season? I can look that up a little later but going to be busy for a bit.

If she beats Amanda to become champion she could realistically make somewhere in the region of $500k per fight I would think. Plus I think as a double Olympic and UFC champion she'd be extremely attractive to advertisers.

If she beats Amanda to become champion she could realistically make somewhere in the region of $500k per fight I would think. Plus I think as a double Olympic and UFC champion she'd be extremely attractive to advertisers.
ask cejudo how that worked out (they're both just as cringe too)

OK, after looking some things up I will be using the 2019 PFL season for these calculations. Kayla was on 100k/25k contract for the regular season. She had 2 regular season fights. So if we totaled everything up and divide it over 3 fights for a year she would need to be on a 416k contract per fight to equal what she makes at PFL. That is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. They paid a lot of non draws that king of money. Woodley made 500k plus PPV points and like I said before Overeem was on an 800k contract. The good thing about Kayla is that if you give her 2 or 3 fights in the UFC so she can build hype with the promotional muscle behind her and highlights you have at least 1 big money fight out of her. This is a lot more doable than I initially thought.

ask cejudo how that worked out (they're both just as cringe too)

Let's be honest, Cejudo and Harrison are completely different cases. One is a 5'3" Hispanic man, who competed in the lower weight classes, was unlikeable, and could only promote his own narcissism. The other is a blonde white woman, competing in the heavier weight classes, and stands for whatever cause will make her seem like a clean cut, conservative athlete.

Kayla is someone sponsors and the general public could easily get behind and support, she just needs to win, and she's been nothing but a beast every time she fights.

Let's be honest, Cejudo and Harrison are completely different cases. One is a 5'3" Hispanic man, who competed in the lower weight classes, was unlikeable, and could only promote his own narcissism. The other is a blonde white woman, competing in the heavier weight classes, and stands for whatever cause will make her seem like a clean cut, conservative athlete.

Kayla is someone sponsors and the general public could easily get behind and support, she just needs to win, and she's been nothing but a beast every time she fights.

if she fought better competition i might be prompted to care - but then again harrison can be quite off-putting in media so the less attention she garners the better. good on her for being a big fish in a small pond while cashing a decent paycheck though, that's a pro fighters dream :)

Back