***OFFICIAL*** Sherdog Sanctioned Canelo vs Kovalev RBR 11/2 DAZN

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
WOW! What an entertaining fight! Kovalev did well. Great win for Canelo and congratulations to him on winning another title!

Sports Associated Press
Column: Fans get played as boxing takes back seat to UFC
The ring was empty, boxing's biggest attraction was taking a nap and fans who paid more than $1,000 a ticket to see Canelo Alvarez and Sergey Kovalev face off for the light heavyweight title were instead watching a UFC fight from New York on the big screens at the MGM Grand Garden arena. There was plenty of time for those watching at home on DAZN to take a nap themselves. The fight wouldn't start until 1:15 a.m. on the East Coast because the streaming service didn't want to go head-to-head with a UFC event - even with a fighter so popular that DAZN signed him to a $365 million contract that seemed to defy the logic of boxing economics.

Sports Associated Press
Column: Fans get played as boxing takes back seat to UFC
The ring was empty, boxing's biggest attraction was taking a nap and fans who paid more than $1,000 a ticket to see Canelo Alvarez and Sergey Kovalev face off for the light heavyweight title were instead watching a UFC fight from New York on the big screens at the MGM Grand Garden arena. There was plenty of time for those watching at home on DAZN to take a nap themselves. The fight wouldn't start until 1:15 a.m. on the East Coast because the streaming service didn't want to go head-to-head with a UFC event - even with a fighter so popular that DAZN signed him to a $365 million contract that seemed to defy the logic of boxing economics.

Did you catch what Mora said about that during the broadcast? "As a boxer, I kind of feel like we lost this round." I was surprised that they weren't aware of it and toeing the company line. The Latin Snake was not a fan.

Did you catch what Mora said about that during the broadcast? "As a boxer, I kind of feel like we lost this round." I was surprised that they weren't aware of it and toeing the company line. The Latin Snake was not a fan.
I really don't see the reasoning behind this decision.

Me either. Instead of competing with the UFC, they were competing against peoples sleep cycles. And considering that DAZN streams the replays starting the next day, I have a feeling they lost more live viewers to sleep than they would have to MMA. We know there isn't a huge overlap of MMA and boxing fans. It's there but it's a minority of both fan-bases. I don't really see any reason for boxing to acquiesce to the UFC anymore than they should to the WWE.

I remember some commentator saying dazn had an agreement with mgm i think, that dazn would wait till after ufc. This dana and oscar feud will continue.

I remember some commentator saying dazn had an agreement with mgm i think, that dazn would wait till after ufc. This dana and oscar feud will continue.

Did they strike the deal that day? It’s mind boggling that the commentary team wasn’t made aware that they’d have to fill all of that extra time. You figure they’d want it filled in a way that doesn’t end with Sergio Mora criticizing the decision on air.

Me either. Instead of competing with the UFC, they were competing against peoples sleep cycles. And considering that DAZN streams the replays starting the next day, I have a feeling they lost more live viewers to sleep than they would have to MMA. We know there isn't a huge overlap of MMA and boxing fans. It's there but it's a minority of both fan-bases. I don't really see any reason for boxing to acquiesce to the UFC anymore than they should to the WWE.

DAZN owns broadcasting rights for the UFC in several countries. That likely played a significant role.

I didn't know that, either. They should state that, then.
This shit of letting us all wait and acting like people watching The Rock present the BMF belt to Masvidal were going to flock over in droves to subscribe/watch Canelo/Kovalev if only DAZN would wait...

I didn't know that, either. They should state that, then.
This shit of letting us all wait and acting like people watching The Rock present the BMF belt to Masvidal were going to flock over in droves to subscribe/watch Canelo/Kovalev if only DAZN would wait...

That just makes me even more confused about the broadcast team being in the dark. Then again, it’s probably a case of no one volunteering to tell them. If they ever sack Mora, we know hot it’ll go down.

images

So is the BMF belt defendable or is it the biggest mockery a so called professional sport has ever seen?

So is the BMF belt defendable or is it the biggest mockery a so called professional sport has ever seen?
Seems to be the latter. I'm still salty over this. I'm old and between that and DST it fucked me all up for Sunday.
lol
Slept 'til I don't even know when. Late. Even with the extra hour. I was wrecked by that extra hour and a half or whatever it was we waited, lucky to have stayed awake but wanted to see it live. Seemed well over an hour between Garcia KO and even walking for the main. I'd like to know how long that was, actually. Brutal.

Seems to be the latter. I'm still salty over this. I'm old and between that and DST it fucked me all up for Sunday.
lol
Slept 'til I don't even know when. Late. Even with the extra hour. I was wrecked by that extra hour and a half or whatever it was we waited, lucky to have stayed awake but wanted to see it live. Seemed well over an hour between Garcia KO and even walking for the main. I'd like to know how long that was, actually. Brutal.
So are you guys saying there's gonna be a day in the future where I CAN'T just get hammered for 12hrs straight on a Saturday and NOT pass out? That's gonna suck for me but my liver will be relieved if I bother to tell him.

Back