Official Scoring vs My Proposed New Scoring.

In what way?

Combine this with open scoring and the scoring laid out in a way that rewards activity and action rather than stalling, and I see no weakness.

What's the point of utterly dominating someone, like lets say you think that one fighter was twice as effective as the other but the judges will MAYBE give a 10-8 there. Instead, I would argue if you were twice as effective as your opponent and only get one or maybe 2 more points if you're lucky, that is absolutely wrong.

But if you're open with the scoring, a guy that loses a round convincingly KNOWS that he needs to push the action to recoup the score, maybe even try to get a finish.

This also has the potential to get rid of the stupid "robbery" arguments, if you actually make the scoring system more marginal in how the fight is scored.

28-24 is way more indicative of the flow of dominance in that fight than the 29-28 was given.

A loose 10-8 essentially decides a 3 round fight.

Making 10-8s arbitrary would dramatically increase the amount of robbery arguments thats why judges don't do them. In a sport with 3-5 rounds there is very little margin for error. Judging doesn't suck it just takes very little to swing a fight.

A loose 10-8 essentially decides a 3 round fight.

Making 10-8s arbitrary would dramatically increase the amount of robbery arguments thats why judges don't do them. In a sport with 3-5 rounds there is very little margin for error. Judging doesn't suck it just takes very little to swing a fight.
That would be the opposite of arbintrary. The point is to make the scoring system more marginal. And if you want to remove the impact of individual shitty judges, have more judges as I've mentioned before. 5 or 7 judges, and remove the obvious outlier scores like they do in Diving, gymnastics, figure skating etc.

You reduce the individual power of a judge to affect the outcome, and even have the option to remove a clearly biased score.

That would be the opposite of arbintrary. The point is to make the scoring system more marginal. And if you want to remove the impact of individual shitty judges, have more judges as I've mentioned before. 5 or 7 judges, and remove the obvious outlier scores like they do in Diving, gymnastics, figure skating etc.

You reduce the individual power of a judge to affect the outcome, and even have the option to remove a clearly biased score.

Would people agree on giving out the 10-8s? Then no its not the opposite of arbitrary. Just a different type of arbitrary instead of arguing who won now we're arguing about how dominant they are.

A 10-8 is dramatically increasing the power of judges to affect the outcome. Thats why they don't use it. You're blaming MMA using boxing system for a sport that it wasn't made for and acting like the judges are the problem. And yes some judges have done a terrible job but if they were gone its almost impossible to get rid of wrong decisions. In a 3 rounder the lesser fighter only need 5 frames out of 9 to win. Theres no way to get around that tbh. You're treating a problem with a worse version of that problem.

Basically, I think that the current scoring system isn't good enough.

My proposed scoring system is essentially that a 10-10 round is one that you could "easily give to either fighter", all the way down to a 10-1, where it's a total shutout without a finish (what is currently given as a 10-8, or even 10-7 round.

This would work best with an open scoring system,

RoundOfficialScoringProposedScoring
WhittakerCostaWhittakerCosta
210 (19)9 (19)10 (20)9 (19)
310 (29)9 (28)10 (30)9 (28)
Final Score29283028

Round 1 was clearly whittaker with costa even getting staggered at one point until that wheel kick. I could easily be swayed to give a 10-9 either way on round 1 though. But based on that I would say a 10-10 is very fair.

A clear example of why you cannot score a fight based on how a guy looks at the end of it too.

I feel like this represents the flow of the fight, and in who's favour the fight really went far better than the current system does.

RoundOfficialScoringProposedScoring
VolkTopuriaVolkTopuria
Both with good performance
But Topuria marginally more effective.
----
3----
4----
5----
Final Score----

Good god Topuria hits hard. That shot takes out almost anyone at FW, and might even be able to take out lightweights with a shot like that.

Curious to see if Volk takes the immediate rematch.

Back