• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

(<[Official Poll]>) What Odds Are You Giving Oliveira VS Poirier?

What odds are you giving each fighter to win, or lose?

• 100% Chance Oliveira Will Win. NO CHANCE OF LOSING.

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • 90% Chance Oliveira will win (Very Heavy Favorite). 10% Chance Poirier will win.

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 80% Chance Oliveira will win (Heavy Favorite). 20% Chance Poirier will win.

• 70% Chance Oliveira will win (Favorite). 30% Chance Poirier will win.

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • 60% Chance Oliveira will win (Slight Favorite). 40% Chance Poirier will win.

Votes: 52 19.4%
  • 50/50 - No Preference. No Prediction. DEAD EVEN.

Votes: 57 21.3%
  • 60% Chance Poirier will win (Slight Favorite). 40% Chance to Oliveira.

Votes: 63 23.5%
  • 70% Chance Poirier will win (Favorite). 30% Chance Oliveira will win.

Votes: 45 16.8%
  • 80% Chance Poirier will win (Heavy Favorite). 20% Chance Oliveira will win.

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • 90% Chance Poirier will win (Very Heavy Favorite). 10% Chance Oliveira will win.

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • 100% Certainty Poirier will win - NO CHANCE OF DEFEAT.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We've been discussing this fight happening ever since Oliveira won the championship, so after eight months of discussion what odds are you giving which fighter.

No, you cannot change your vote. Read the options carefully.

th

Simply put - What are the chances you give to each fighter is going to win?

No need to post the stats of each fighter, because you already have an opinion of which fighter has the overall advantage and is probably going to win. The poll is to determine if the consensus is if this is an even fight, or if one fighter has a slight/large advantage, or if one fighter is practically guaranteed victory and the other has no chance.

*You can only see the results after you vote.
*Your vote will be kept private so no one will see your answer unless you post it in the thread.
*Poll closes at 2 hours after the PPV begins, which will probably be just before both fighters begin walking to the cage.
*No, you cannot change your vote. Read the options carefully.

This thread is going to be bumped multiple times throughout the next 3 days and the poll will close right before the fight starts.

this fight is awesome!
The ONLY terrible thing about it, is that one of them must lose!!!

All the talk about Charles'a elite BJJ made me think "Wait, what is Dustin's BJJ level? Isn't he a black belt?"

And that's right, apparently my memory was correct.

Although he has 15 years experience in BJJ, 4 years as a black belt, hopefully he's brought in a BJJ practitioner on Charles's level to roll with in his training camp.

I still maintain he had the guillotine on Khabib, but did not secure it properly, so Khabib got out...

More of a fan of Oli but gave 70% to Dustin.

I think champ could get rocked and finished.

Last edited:
I predict Oliveira by 3rd sub

I still maintain he had the guillotine on Khabib, but did not secure it properly, so Khabib got out...

Guillotines that deep, and it was as deep as it gets, are always 'properly secured.'

Just like that mounted Guillotine choke Volkinoski was in and he somehow, someway, got out of it.

90% chance one of them wins.
I wish you ran a gambling site I'd be rich betting against draws :p
Guillotines that deep, and it was as deep as it gets, are always 'properly secured.'

Just like that mounted Guillotine choke Volkinoski was in and he somehow, someway, got out of it.
has anyone ever been submitted by a guillotine in that position?

has anyone ever been submitted by a guillotine in that position?

Its pretty rare in modern MMA that anyone ever secures a mounted position anymore, in comparison to the 2000s.

I can only recall a few times anyone was ever able to ever get a mounted guillotine locked in and I can't recall the fighters names.

Its pretty rare in modern MMA that anyone ever secures a mounted position anymore, in comparison to the 2000s.

I can only recall a few times anyone was ever able to ever get a mounted guillotine locked in and I can't recall the fighters names.
I rewatched it, it was from half guard at first, that has been done but is really rare. Khabib got out of the guard so fast I forgot he was in guard at all.

50/50 simply because this matchup isn't worth analyzing. I look forward to it but I won't be nervous while watching it.

Voted 60% Oliveira, but in reality its closer to 51-49. Such an amazing fight, this is literally about as high-level as MMA can get in the most coveted weight class in UFC.

I'm giving the slight edge to Oliveira because he fought more 'diverse' style of opponents, whereas Dustin fought the same man twice this year. It also helps that he is the champ and, statistically speaking, ANDSTILLs happen way more often than ANDNEWs.

I just think Oliveira has plenty of preparation for this one and he has a plan A, B,C and D that he knows he can execute with all his tools. Poirier I think has to moderately successful in the early rounds for the championship rounds to pay it's dividends. I think that as long Oliveira is patient and doesn't get sloppy with his striking defense he can land the big hook or alternatively bring it to the ground for the sub.

I just think Oliveira has plenty of preparation for this one and he has a plan A, B,C and D that he knows he can execute with all his tools. Poirier I think has to moderately successful in the early rounds for the championship rounds to pay it's dividends. I think that as long Oliveira is patient and doesn't get sloppy with his striking defense he can land the big hook or alternatively bring it to the ground for the sub.

Chael Sonnen released a video yesterday basically saying Poirier was one way to win this fight while Oliveira has many ways to win the fight.

I completely disagree.

While we're arguing which fighter has what advantages on the ground and striking, there's two huge advantages Dustin has - toughness and endurance.

Dustin's fight with Hooker last year proved he's one of, if not the, toughest fighter in the sport but clearly the toughest in the entire division. He stood and banged the entire intense 25 minutes and took very heavy shots.

Dustin has been training for 5-round fights since mid-2018 and two fights have went to a decision (Holloway & Hooker), and he has a record of 6-1 for scheduled 5 round fights.

Oliveira has had a grand total of zero fights that has gone to the 5th round bell and only one scheduled fight that was scheduled for 5 rounds.

People are saying Oliveria's biggest advantage is his BJJ with his huge record of the most submissions not only in the division but also the entire UFC, and they may be right, but Dustin has been practicing BJJ for 15 years and has been a black belt for 4 of them. He's no slouch with grappling. But comparing that advantage for Oliveira to Dustin's advantage with 5-round fights?

Dustin's experience with 5-round fights is going the be a much much bigger factor.

Indeed.
and that bears the question...
if you don't tap, it ALWAYS come down to: "Will you sleep or the opponent burn his arms out???"
IMO no one should ever tap just on this premise alone.
You sleep means you are not really getting damaged (like you would with punches post-KO). And if you don't, your opponent might be worse of than you, with tired arms while you are not really hurt by the attempt...

I'll go 70/30 Dustin he should win and most likely will, same odds I gave conor in the 2nd fight. But Charles is no gimme he's got dangerous strikes and subs and anyone can be caught.

Voted: 70% Chance Poirier will win . 30% Chance Oliveira will win.

Reasons why is because I feel Charles is way too hittable, its too easy to land flush on him. I think it will be his downfall against Poirier and Poirier will win by TKO round 2 or 3. Charles has improved and he has become more tough but its just so easy to land flush on him, even low level prelim guys were landing too easily on him. I don't like the defense he has. I can see Poirier dropping him hard and finishing

I like both guys and will be happy whoever is champ

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RuralAttacker25
Back