• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Official Nioh 2 Disc: PC & PS5 Collection launch 05 FEB 21!

As far as the genre goes, I liked Nioh 2 a lot more than 1. I'd also pick it over Sekiro. I preferred The Surge 2 over all 3 of them, though. It might be my favourite Soulslike.

As far as the genre goes, I liked Nioh 2 a lot more than 1. I'd also pick it over Sekiro. I preferred The Surge 2 over all 3 of them, though. It might be my favourite Soulslike.
Loved The Surge 2 myself (but less so the DLC). I made an effort to preorder base game back when to support Deck13. They're working on a brand-new IP, BTW.

Loved The Surge 2 myself (but less so the DLC). I made an effort to preorder base game back when to support Deck13. They're working on a brand-new IP, BTW.
Did you play the original Surge? Is 2 better than 1? I own 1 but still haven't played it yet.

Did you play the original Surge? Is 2 better than 1? I own 1 but still haven't played it yet.
Played the original as well, B. 2 is superior, IMO; they'd fleshed out more of the subsystems as well as mechanics from 1 (WPN classes, resourcing dismemberment, Metroidvanian world-gating) and arguably more important for staying power as a player, the environs from cityscape to woodland are more diverse. Boss fights are also great.

1 feels like a proof of concept, to say, but that signature Surge feel was there to greet you as Warren, your protag and a recent factory hire whose first day on the job is FUBAR. You can bank scrap (souls) in this too so the rush of consequential death is there while also allowing you to get a little crazy when you need to. So, so fun and easy to get swept up in building your favourite – of many, gear/rigs. Heaps of secrets and shortcuts too, which they improve upon by leaps and bounds in 2.

I'd recommend going from 1 to 2 though because the reverse could foreseeably dampen the magic of the original. I actually need revisit my years-old NG+ playthrough of the original to mop up what 2-3 trophies I need for the Platinum; I platted 2 not long after it came out and couldn't stop playing it for some time, TBH.

Fire it up, brother, and get your mech game on. Lots of exploration at your own pace.

Izanagi and onmyo austerity is just silly. Absolutely melting bosses in Scrolls of the Damned.

Posting here as well for people who don’t check the Freebie thread. Nioh Complete Edition is free on Epic.

DohMN4dz6BNLZxY4J9WSrn.png

Closed alpha was just announced for May 24th-June 2nd, trailer below:

Looks like we’ll be getting the same treatment in terms of the alpha/beta demos as the first.

you know what would be cooler? Nioh 3

Last edited:
Hope this is the right thread. Just started today. Beat the first boss after grinding on the red summon guys for some better gear and summoning a blue guy to help me.
I have died a ton. Going to take a bit to get the hang of combat.

Hope this is the right thread. Just started today. Beat the first boss after grinding on the red summon guys for some better gear and summoning a blue guy to help me.
I have died a ton. Going to take a bit to get the hang of combat.
Enjoy. The game is absolutely fantastic. I actually miss my time with it. I think at the end I put about 300 hours in, including the post game content

Did the first side mission. Got to level 20. What stats should I be focusing on for a Spear/Kura/Ninjitsu build?

Did the first side mission. Got to level 20. What stats should I be focusing on for a Spear/Kura/Ninjitsu build?
Can't recall. I believe it tells you which ones up your damage of your chosen weapons.

Put my health at 10 and looks like skill and dex are my main stats.
I think d/shot and I are struggling to advise because of how deep this game actually gets. I've about 1100h in N2 and have a hard time knowing where to start.

Early, biggest win for you is to never commit to any one WPN. Go hard vagabond and experiment, even if you love your current wield; drop it and change up. After the honeymoon period and your many hours in (that is – you feel the (admittedly confusing) story getting real), start more narrowing down what clicked with you most: how you think, how you react, how you want to play and look.

On armors and guards, never hold onto anything right now; poach and equip, poach and equip – slut out by whatever superior base-value gear comes your way. Because like blood, there will be loot.

2b6.gif

Later, armoring yourself deepens and (ridiculously cool) synergised builds emerge but survivability is your baseline right now so best not deviate from that. This poach-and-equip approach will also help you with early inventory management, which can be a PITA at first before you get into a rhythm and comfortably use filters to sort.

I'm so jealous you get to experience this title for the first time. It's incredible. Endgame content is insane.

I think d/shot and I are struggling to advise because of how deep this game actually gets. I've about 1100h in N2 and have a hard time knowing where to start.

Early, biggest win for you is to never commit to any one WPN. Go hard vagabond and experiment, even if you love your current wield; drop it and change up. After the honeymoon period and your many hours in (that is – you feel the (admittedly confusing) story getting real), start more narrowing down what clicked with you most: how you think, how you react, how you want to play and look.

On armors and guards, never hold onto anything right now; poach and equip, poach and equip – slut out by whatever superior base-value gear comes your way. Because like blood, there will be loot.

2b6.gif

Later, armoring yourself deepens and (ridiculously cool) synergised builds emerge but survivability is your baseline right now so best not deviate from that. This poach-and-equip approach will also help you with early inventory management, which can be a PITA at first before you get into a rhythm and comfortably use filters to sort.

I'm so jealous you get to experience this title for the first time. It's incredible. Endgame content is insane.
I've been summoning the blue guys to help me farm gear off the red phantoms mainly. I found a Fighting Cowboy beginner's guide on YouTube and that's been really helpful.

Is this basically just another Soul's clone

Man we need a new Tecnhu game. One on part with the second one.

No, it shits on Souls combat. Having a boss health bar doesn't make it a Souls clone

It's a combat system that I feel is so under utilized. I wish we had more of it because it felt more immersive than just dodging, rolling and parrying. The last time I think I used something similar was the gunplay in Returnal.

Back