Official Judo Thread

I don t understand.

Zankou said that the classic grip isn't good if you are strong (and inflexible). What if you aren't the stronger guy?

A lighter person gripping over the top isn't a problem at all. In fact it can be easier to deal with than a lapel grip because it's inferior for defense.

I think you get the best tactile feedback off classic grip. its super playful and probably the most diverse in terms of opportunities. I think it sucks for us taller gaijin for throws like morote. that's one where I cheat and take a same sided grip.

I think qingtian said something a few years back about how a lot of citrus belts start fucking with novel grips once they hit the part of the skill curve where you need to finesse and they still think the solution is "go harder".

I've also started playing opposite side more, which in my gym is clockwise, but I'll still keep the orthodox grip. I prefer sasae that way, collar grip seoi nage is hilarious, and all the arm crossy sode shit you can do with tai otoshi and osoto is super fun

To jump into this grip discussion, I'd also add my vote to classical lapel and sleeve grip. It may not be how I'll approach competition, but if you always depend on a power grip to get your throws, you'll limit your throwing progression. You need to be able to feel how your opponent is moving to hone your offense and defense. This is why you should not always be grip fighting. If everyone is always doing randori to get the best grips to do their power throws, you leave a lot less time gaining the experience of moving/feeling an opponent's movement when you have two equal grips.

I like to compare this to the guys that always preach bjj basics. You need to always go back to the basics.

To jump into this grip discussion, I'd also add my vote to classical lapel and sleeve grip. It may not be how I'll approach competition, but if you always depend on a power grip to get your throws, you'll limit your throwing progression. You need to be able to feel how your opponent is moving to hone your offense and defense. This is why you should not always be grip fighting. If everyone is always doing randori to get the best grips to do their power throws, you leave a lot less time gaining the experience of moving/feeling an opponent's movement when you have two equal grips.

I like to compare this to the guys that always preach bjj basics. You need to always go back to the basics.

I find this theoretical somehow.
Pretty much 80% of randoris you will have in the country where I train (Germany) are all about getting grips and getting the ippon.

The sort of advice you just gave applies when your partners are in the same mindset and let you and eachother try stuff but it just does not happen IRL.

The whole don't fight grips and learn to recognise movement stuff will just get you thrown over and over where I have trained. I know because I used to be that guy but it's time to impose my game. Enough Mr. Miyagi stuff.

I find this theoretical somehow.
Pretty much 80% of randoris you will have in the country where I train (Germany) are all about getting grips and getting the ippon.

The sort of advice you just gave applies when your partners are in the same mindset and let you and eachother try stuff but it just does not happen IRL.

The whole don't fight grips and learn to recognise movement stuff will just get you thrown over and over where I have trained. I know because I used to be that guy but it's time to impose my game. Enough Mr. Miyagi stuff.

It's opposite world in Japan. Over there they fight to keep you from getting the lapel. Even had it where they happily let it slide over to a top grip instead of letting get the lapel.

Of course I understand the difficulty if all your training partners are going for their power grips. It's much harder to do the touchy feely stuff in that situation. As a compromise you can just grip fight in the sense of not letting them secure the power grip, without imposing your own.

Still not as good as having the right training partners for the thing you want to work on though.

I agree that if it's regular randori and everyone's going for their grips to throw, you're not going to be the one to limit yourself to just a classical grip. And in competition, you definitely grip fight and go for your power grip so you're in a position to throw when your opponent does not have the opportunity.

But if you're structuring the class, I think it's important varying randori approaches to learn, but it's something that your partner has to also be working on - just like BJJ has their flow rolls. I think it's important development to work from classical grips in order to focus on movement and simple kuzushi. Otherwise if you're always focusing on grips and your go-to throws you won't be able to optimally develop that "feel" that's so important.

fuck yeah getting a lapel. if a good footsweeper gets your lapel you're already mostly fucked, if they get sleeve/lapel they're gonna haraitsurikomi the bejesus out of your ashi

You guys are talking gripping now, shoot I missed, how many pages back should I go?

Also, feel free to disagree but I don't see why mastering classical would give anyone a flexibility edge over a guy who is comfortable switching between 2 lapels, russian grip, 2 sleeves, etc.

I am going to get flamed for this but my feeling is that the superiority of classical grip is just a perception.

Are those grips even allowed in Judo?

no. you're only allowed to clutch your pearls and cry about all the people who left to have more fun at BJJ.

complaining isn't allowed in judo. git gud.

Amen.

Oh the new guy former NCAA wrestler just overpowered you?
Get better bro.

The guy who just took gold in novice division is a BJJ Purp?
Who gives a shit, it's novice divison

I seriously love the Judo mindset
We don't make excuses.

this is why I'm so outspoken about the leg attack ban and "spiritual contamination" bullshit.

if I can't beat other athletes at my game without changing the rules, my game doesn't deserve to exist.

if I cant compete with and beat other athletes at their game with the skills from my game, my game doesn't deserve to exist.

you can't out-rassle the rasslers? rasslers can just throw on jammies and blitz through your competition? your technique can't compensate for athleticism? and you wanna change the game so you don't have to deal with it? fuck you. git gud.

you cant out jitz the jitzers? you wanna just throw huh? don't wanna play on the ground? just bury your head in your hands and stick your ass in the air because that's the only way you can defend yourself? and you can't figure out why everybody's leaving your sport to go roll around on the ground? fuck you. git gud.

oh, and shut the fuck up about crossfacing. contact sport. get your dumb face out of the way.

Did someone say...KUMITE?!? I’m sorry, I mean ProJudo?

Look at that mothefucking leitai. Look at those promos. Look at Pedro vs Hawn. Look at the pick ups. Look at the DJ. Look at my increasingly apparent erection.

never saw this before, nice

Back