• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Official Judo Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

This guy is a beast.

LOL at 2.27 where White attempts a crap O soto and then he responds with 'No, this is how you do O soto' and buries him off the mat.

"Former Korean National Team Judo Player" and he's fighting white belts. Matching up ten plus years in a grappling sports versus one? Still loved the video.
Doesn't seem very fair does it, should be in at least blue belt category.

LOL at 2.27 where White attempts a crap O soto and then he responds with 'No, this is how you do O soto' and buries him off the mat.

Doesn't seem very fair does it, should be in at least blue belt category.

It's funny how most people now will say black belts should be in blues. When we all hear stories how the bb's are getting destroyed by whitebelts. haha

So is the Bow and Arrow choke in Judo called

Okuri Eri Jime or Jigoku Jime?

In "Mastering Judo" by the Takahashi family, they call it Jigoku Jime, other calls it Okuri?

Reason why people call it Okuri because it's 1 lapel sliding across?

how was it mate? get thrown around? were the people helpful? I'm starting tonight!

Actually it wasnt too bad. Doesnt help being the "old guy". Just realizing
im not the agile guy i once was. Honestly, im struggling with what comes easy to most- breakfalls. Maybe im spastic. Also, im shocked at how winded i get when doing randori.
Everyone is very patient thus far. Let me know how you are doing.

I know what you mean. A lot to take in but I think in the end, it will all come together. I'm definitely sore after practice and have to stretch a lot. During the newaza portion I hold my own pretty well though.

Im looking for info on a technique that is essentially leg scissors on the head, you grab same side grips on the collar behind the neck and crush down on your hands with your knees. I want to say its called ryoko jime but i havent been able to find anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kani-jime is what I have, ryoko-jime is similar in hand position but doesn't use the legs.

Another session of judo done, boy am I sore the next day! Neck knees everything, got thrown in with some good guys last night, I could feel the power in there throws etc was fun

So is the Bow and Arrow choke in Judo called

Okuri Eri Jime or Jigoku Jime?

In "Mastering Judo" by the Takahashi family, they call it Jigoku Jime, other calls it Okuri?

Reason why people call it Okuri because it's 1 lapel sliding across?

it's okuri. jigoku jime is okuri from crucifix. even suicide choke is still technically okuri. yay judo newaza naming :rolleyes:

it's okuri. jigoku jime is okuri from crucifix. even suicide choke is still technically okuri. yay judo newaza naming :rolleyes:

well then! That makes lots of sense literally. It's like Wrestling's intake on judo's "hip" throw all those Harai, Ogoshi, Uchi mata, Hane, O guruma are hip throws! haha

Question was about Ronda's on Judo to MMA and No Gi

Her answer; @ 25:11

Guys,

We're doing hardcore Randori for the past few lessons leading up to a comp. I noticed the next day (Even though I'm stretching before practice) my knees (on the front side near the top of the kneecap) are very sore for the next day and a half or so. It's a weird burning type feeling which seems to go away after a while. I hadn't trained for a long time because of an unrelated injury so I'm a bit out of shape and just starting to get my stamina back.

It wasn't as bad this time as it was a few earlier training sessions ago, do you think it's similar to when you haven't used certain muscles for a while and my knees are getting used to it or should I be a bit more worried? It's not so uncomfortable that I can't walk or am in too much pain but it is a bit worrying.

I know you aren't doctors but has anyone else experienced this?

Well time for an update.

Its been a month of training Judo a few times a week after a 3 year hiatus. I'm finally back to the point where I can throw WBs at will, break even with guys around my rank, and still get killed by the comp-hardened blackbelts, but I still don't feel back to where I was 3 years ago.

Going to compete at the end of September, realized I'm now old enough by a couple years to fight in the Masters division. Think I'm going to lose the 12lbs I picked up in the past few years and get back to my old fighting weight of 178lbs and fight in the brown belt seniors and middle weight masters divisions.

Oh Judie how I missed you.

Guys,

We're doing hardcore Randori for the past few lessons leading up to a comp. I noticed the next day (Even though I'm stretching before practice) my knees (on the front side near the top of the kneecap) are very sore for the next day and a half or so. It's a weird burning type feeling which seems to go away after a while. I hadn't trained for a long time because of an unrelated injury so I'm a bit out of shape and just starting to get my stamina back.

It wasn't as bad this time as it was a few earlier training sessions ago, do you think it's similar to when you haven't used certain muscles for a while and my knees are getting used to it or should I be a bit more worried? It's not so uncomfortable that I can't walk or am in too much pain but it is a bit worrying.

I know you aren't doctors but has anyone else experienced this?

I think you should ask a doctor.... Once in a blue moon, i get knee pains due to falling because of freaking Morote Seoi.

Well time for an update.

Its been a month of training Judo a few times a week after a 3 year hiatus. I'm finally back to the point where I can throw WBs at will, break even with guys around my rank, and still get killed by the comp-hardened blackbelts, but I still don't feel back to where I was 3 years ago.

Going to compete at the end of September, realized I'm now old enough by a couple years to fight in the Masters division. Think I'm going to lose the 12lbs I picked up in the past few years and get back to my old fighting weight of 178lbs and fight in the brown belt seniors and middle weight masters divisions.

Oh Judie how I missed you.

it's time to get back in the fight game. welcome back.

I think you should ask a doctor.... Once in a blue moon, i get knee pains due to falling because of freaking Morote Seoi.

it's time to get back in the fight game. welcome back.

I keep thinking that I should then two days after training (Today) they feels like normal! I think I'll go after my next training session if I get the same thing.

Sprained my toe!? Oddly enough. Also my neck is pretty sore, but I get that sometimes, Ive only been to a few sessions now, I'm terrible at remembering any of the names of the throws etc..

Sprained my toe!? Oddly enough. Also my neck is pretty sore, but I get that sometimes, Ive only been to a few sessions now, I'm terrible at remembering any of the names of the throws etc..

To help with remembering the names of throws (and any techniques) try saying the name of the throw before you do it each time.

To help with remembering the names of throws (and any techniques) try saying the name of the throw before you do it each time.

I'll give it a go thanks, I think I'm gonna try and find a book also.

in randori how do you guys deal with people who keep you at bay by holding you at arms length with their arms rigid?

Im pretty new to judo and i've been struggling getting round this, i can't get close enough to try any throws, sweeps or whatever. i have been shown where you can get an overhand grip and push into there elbow joint with your elbow to fold their arm up, but i would love to hear any other tips.

also, how long will it take until my shins stop hurting, lol? i never expected judo would be so hard on the shins, i have been hobbling round like an old man since i started. :icon_cry2

in randori how do you guys deal with people who keep you at bay by holding you at arms length with their arms rigid?

Im pretty new to judo and i've been struggling getting round this, i can't get close enough to try any throws, sweeps or whatever. i have been shown where you can get an overhand grip and push into there elbow joint with your elbow to fold their arm up, but i would love to hear any other tips.

also, how long will it take until my shins stop hurting, lol? i never expected judo would be so hard on the shins, i have been hobbling round like an old man since i started. :icon_cry2

The Old stiff arm eh?

Go flying armbar on it! Just kidding. :)

There's a couple ways to go against it...

Use the stiff arm for a throw such as drop seoi nage..
or
Grip fight, you always want the inside lapel grip, if the guy is faster, break his lapel grip.

This might also help...

http://superjudo.tv/defeating-a-stiff-arm-defense/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back