Off balancing tips for when you are in clinch against opponent

PunchOut1994

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I have been doing some clinch work lately and I am working on off balancing the opponent better so I get execute a throw/takedown please if you have any tips please share

Striking (e.g. Muay Thai) clinch or grappling (e.g. Judo, Greco) clinch? Or MMA? What hand position are you looking for?

yeah what kind of clinch?

Actually whatever, doesn't matter. Head position, underhooks, you're golden.

If you've got an underhook, try to get your head under his chin on the same side, use your underhook in his armpit to lift slightly, pull your hips close in; use all those together to keep him up on his toes more or less. Once he's up, you can move him more at less at will. In general in the body lock you want to suck his chest towards your and get your hips in.

If you really want to get a good feel for how to unbalance people, study this video:

Fedor is great to watch because many of his TDs weren't well defined techniques like you're used to thinking of, they were basically just bumping guys when they were off balance, often using an underhook to drive them to a spot where they couldn't catch their balance. He throws guys mostly by feeling where their weight is headed and then forcing them in that direction faster than they can catch up.

If you've got an underhook, try to get your head under his chin on the same side, use your underhook in his armpit to lift slightly, pull your hips close in; use all those together to keep him up on his toes more or less. Once he's up, you can move him more at less at will. In general in the body lock you want to suck his chest towards your and get your hips in.

If you really want to get a good feel for how to unbalance people, study this video:

Fedor is great to watch because many of his TDs weren't well defined techniques like you're used to thinking of, they were basically just bumping guys when they were off balance, often using an underhook to drive them to a spot where they couldn't catch their balance. He throws guys mostly by feeling where their weight is headed and then forcing them in that direction faster than they can catch up.

Thank you for good tips I'll be drilling lot of it and improve my takedown game

Back