Obscure/Weird facts about fighters pre UFC?

Alexandr Romanov got a forearm choke the weekend before last against Marcos Rogerio de Lima. Though I may be wrong, I can say with a fairly high level of confidence and an MMA trivia nut that the last forearm choke submission that occured in the UFC was at UFC 4 between Keith Hackney and Joe Son (2nd Hackney trivia on this thread lol).

Alexandr Romanov got a forearm choke the weekend before last against Marcos Rogerio de Lima. Though I may be wrong, I can say with a fairly high level of confidence and an MMA trivia nut that the last forearm choke submission that occured in the UFC was at UFC 4 between Keith Hackney and Joe Son (2nd Hackney trivia on this thread lol).
That’s his 3rd on his record so maybe he can pull off a second one in the UFC

That’s his 3rd on his record so maybe he can pull off a second one in the UFC
Yeah, kinda reminds me of Oleinik and his ezekiel. I watched the replay several times since I like bizarre submissions; he's fairly technical with it and utilizes a far side underhook grip to apply the required pressure. I'm now curious as to how feasible the submission is among other fighters, especially in lower weight classes. My instinct tells me it's a big guy sub similar to a keylock or neck crank, but I'd be intrigued to see someone else play with it.

I fought Charles Rosa (amateur fight) in rural Tennessee, outdoors. It started raining, so they called the fight. . . until the crowd started booing. We waited almost 20 minutes for the rain to stop, then *resumed* the fight. . . then it started raining again, but the promotion didn't care so we *stood and banged in the rain*, slipping, falling, and flopping around after every attempted kick or takedown. I vividly remember trying to tighten a heelhook in vain as his soaked leg easily slipped out. Fun times.
(I lost by triangle in the second. . . one I was SURE I could just slip out of....oops)

Joe Son who fought I beleive Keith hackney in the early UFC cards and lost via submission to being punched in the balls.

He then went on to star as odd job lookalike "random task" in Austin Powers.

Years later he was convicted of gang rape and put in prison where he killed his cell mate by beating him to death.

"where he killed his cell mate by beating him to death"

. . . only fight he won.

That would be the last time Ilir was allowed to ride his horse into the ring.

And I’ll contribute that BJ fought Machida in an open weight bout for the Heros promotion back in 05’. BJ weighed 190 to Machida’s 225.
That's a good one but you have to file it as weird for Machida as the OP said pre-UFC and that was after BJ won the WW title off of Matt Hughes.

At the time Stipe started training MMA he was also playing in an amateur baseball league. A month after his first amateur fight, he helped his team (the Cleveland Mosquitos) win their league's world championship. Then he took a year off from sports entirely to do his paramedic schooling.

At the time Stipe started training MMA he was also playing in an amateur baseball league. A month after his first amateur fight, he helped his team (the Cleveland Mosquitos) win their league's world championship. Then he took a year off from sports entirely to do his paramedic schooling.
I'm not the *biggest* Stipe fan, but I'm always rooting for fighters that have a life, hobbies, credentials, career, etc., outside of fighting. Same reason I was a huge Klitschko bros fan: PhDs, chess masters, governor of Kiev. Same reason I liked Cro Cop ( . . . other than that LHK).

Prior to UFC, Anderson Silva out pointed Lee Murray.

Murray would have undoubtedly pre dated Bisping as Britain’s first massive UFC star. However he was convicted of a $100 million Bank of England raid, sentenced to 10 years (which ironically he would now be released) and upon appeal had his sentence increased to 25 years having attempted to break free from a Moroccan jail.

He was also stabbed in a street fight which nearly killed him, and knocked Tito Ortiz out in a seperate street altercation three years earlier.

Legend has it and I remember in the JDS/Cain 2 build up/countdown that one of the coaches said that they did not know that JDS has a boxing record with 30 knockouts (not sure if pro or amateur) that's why they didn't expect Cain to get KO'd. It was researched thoroughly through the years and really there hasn't been a confirmation that it is true.

Terry Martin vs Chael Sonnen fought early into their careers and Martin dominated Sonnen with takedowns...Bizarre fight, used to be up on youtube not sure if it still is.

Sakuraba fought Rampage and choked Page out early in Pride.

Cro Cop had a 48-8 amateur boxing record, was a 3x Croatian national champion and boxed at the amateur world championships. He also boxed and won a silver medal for I believe Tajikistan or Turkmenistan in the Asian games and won a Bronze medal in the Mediterranean games.

Frank and Ken Shamrock were adopted, not actual brothers (many of you know this but I thought they struck quite a resemblance for ages and was shocked when I heard initially).

Anthony Johnson trained at AKA and Cung Le was his striking coach.
Cool story about Cro Cop. The legend continues to grow. Thanks for sharing.

Legend has it and I remember in the JDS/Cain 2 build up/countdown that one of the coaches said that they did not know that JDS has a boxing record with 30 knockouts (not sure if pro or amateur) that's why they didn't expect Cain to get KO'd. It was researched thoroughly through the years and really there hasn't been a confirmation that it is true.

Never heard that, I hope thats true.

Back