NYC MMA Gyms

Fight Whisperer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am looking to find a gym to train at. I would like to train at a MMA place (stand up, striking, wrestling, grappling, submissions, etc.)

However, I have also always wanted to train Filipino Martial Arts (specifically stick fighting and knife fighting). The Dog Brothers stuff looks really cool. Although, I don't think they have any places in NYC.

My priority is finding a good MMA place. But a place that also teaches Filipino Martial Arts or some sort of weapons fighting would be an added bonus.

Another priority is class size. One of the issues I started to have at the last school I was training at was that it was starting to get waaay overcrowded. I would like to have some individual attention and not be some dude lost in a crowd of students that the instructor never sees where I won't be able to have my questions answered.

At the moment, I am specifically looking at 3 gyms. I would like to find a place that offers good quality instruction, good training partners, the possibility of competing (not just in one discipline, or not just in MMA and nothing else), and of course something that won't leave me without money to live like a normal human being (probably the biggest challenge in finding a gym in NYC).

I am specifically looking at 3 places at the moment:

Camp Undefeated
Camp Undefeated - MMA - Mixed Martial Arts - Muay Thai - Kick Boxing - BJJ - Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - Manhattan New York, NYC

They seem to offer a good program for MMA. They have a Muay Thai program, a BJJ program, and it appears from their website that they also have boxing and greco-roman wrestling (or at least they will have that, or maybe they use to have that and now they don't). The price seems pretty standard from the info they e-mailed me (which is probably downright expensive if you aren't familiar with NYC prices). They have a full MMA cage, and it seems Jorge "Macaco" Patino will be teaching there soon (very cool!)

Unfortunately, I guess they don't have any kind of weapons training.

Anderson's Martial Arts
Anderson's Martial Arts: Home

This place seems awesome, they seem to have all the programs that I want: MMA, BJJ, Muay Thai, Filipino Martial Arts, weapons etc. They also have tons of classes each week during the day. They also provide you with 2 free private lessons right off the bat to help introduce you to the program and transition into the school.

The prices they e-mailed me seem out of my price limit though. $200 a month for unlimited classes. Unless I misread it. But that just seems a little to expensive for me right now.

DeRose Pure MMA Training NYC
PURE MMA NYC

I can't exactly tell too much from the website. It seems they are a MMA and self-defense school. Their program seems to contain boxing, Muay Thai, Jeet Kune Do, Greco-Roman and freestyle wrestling, Sambo, Judo, BJJ, and submission wrestling. The prices are the same as Camp Undefeated, and the location is great, a couple blocks away from where I live. So I can walk or jog to and from their location.

Unfortunately, they only offer classes 4 days a week (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday). It would work out better if I could find a place that offers more days of classes since my schedule is constantly changing.

The obvious thing would be to try out free trial classes or go ahead and check out the schools myself, which I plan on doing next week. But I just wanted to know if anyone on the boards train at any of these places or can offer any input on these places. I am trying to get as much info and intel on these schools because I'm really stuck on what to choose. Even if I check out the schools and take the free trial classes it's still hard to make a decision (you can get a little taste and a little insight but I guess its not nearly the same as getting a good perspective from training there for about a month or so) I want as much info on the schools as I can find.

Any input, or suggestions would be appreciated. If you guys want to shout out some schools that maybe i want to consider please do so.

Thanks guys

Don't go to Camp Undefeated. They have ripped off many ex-students, coaches, landlords, and other gym owners. All the coaches on their web page have left because the owner is shady as hell. There's no one with any credentials teaching there. They don't even have a gym, I think they've been kicked out of 2 or 3 spaces in the last couple months. There are a few threads on this site and other sites about how shady they are.

Camp Undefeated (DUMBEST name for a gym IMO, is shitty. Soooooo Shitty. And I know you shouldn't judge someone's teaching credentials by their fight record but this is their muay coach: James "Mad Dog" Meals MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography, and More - Sherdog.com

Anyways, I'm loathe to recommend them, but the gym that may serve your purposes is Evolution Muay Thai. The muay thai there sucks, but the BJJ is top notch and I heard they've implemented wrestling for MMA and S&C classes. They don't actually have an MMA class, but this may be a good place to start and learn your fundamentals. And it's cheap by nyc standards. $150 a month I think

Muay Thai Training NYC, Muay Thai Schools NYC, Muay Thai Classes NYC

Camp Undefeated (DUMBEST name for a gym IMO, is shitty. Soooooo Shitty. And I know you shouldn't judge someone's teaching credentials by their fight record but this is their muay coach: James "Mad Dog" Meals MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography, and More - Sherdog.com

Anyways, I'm loathe to recommend them, but the gym that may serve your purposes is Evolution Muay Thai. The muay thai there sucks, but the BJJ is top notch and I heard they've implemented wrestling for MMA and S&C classes. They don't actually have an MMA class, but this may be a good place to start and learn your fundamentals. And it's cheap by nyc standards. $150 a month I think

Muay Thai Training NYC, Muay Thai Schools NYC, Muay Thai Classes NYC

do you think the instructor sucks at evolution MT?

I was seriously leaning towards Camp Undefeated until I started reading all the "issues" going on over there.

I would like to avoid getting screwed over. I suppose I will still try a free class at best. But all the information I have been finding out on the internet about them has made me very reluctant.

Can anyone comment on DeRosa Pure MMA or Anderson's Martial Arts?

A buddy of mine started training at Evolution Muay Thai, he likes the Muay Thai classes. I definitely trust his opinion as he has been around the NYC fight game, especially when it comes to stand-up for a while. What is it about the Muay Thai there that would cause you to say that it "sucks?"

I would like good stand-up and striking instruction as well as good grappling. I don't like the idea of spending my hard earned cash for a halfway (for lack of a better expression) gym.

do you think the instructor sucks at evolution MT?

Brandon Levi is great guy. I trained with him back when he was at fighthouse. Very fun. But no fighting/teaching credentials I can think of. How many champions has he produced? All the good fighters I've seen at his gym have left. It's a good fun muay thai class, but not a serious fight gym IMO. One thing I HATED when I was there was all the joking around. If I am hitting pads and trying to work on my technique, I shouldn't have to worry about the instructor pinching my nipples or humping my leg.

A buddy of mine started training at Evolution Muay Thai, he likes the Muay Thai classes. I definitely trust his opinion as he has been around the NYC fight game, especially when it comes to stand-up for a while. What is it about the Muay Thai there that would cause you to say that it "sucks?"

I don't like the technique there, or rather the lack of. Everyone just seems to brawl. The trainer is unfocused. I watched a 150lb+ dude beat on a 105lb girl, with no instructor to yell "hey asshole, lighten up". There was one 220lb+ guy sparring with 12oz gloves. I remember coming in early one day to hit the bag, I asked the "kru" to watch me and critique my technique because I thought my kicks needed work. He was too busy showing dirty pictures on his phone. One time I watched the class work on head butts and slaps. Seriously? This is what I was paying for? I came to the gym because I wanted to fight, not to dick around. Here is a review I posted in another thread:

Evolution Muay Thai
Location: Muay Thai NYC, Muay Thai New York, Evolution Muay Thai NYC
12 w. 27th Street #2
New York, NY 10010
(646) 649-3976

Facility: Nice space. Everything is new (gym opened up in like june I think). No showers or locker rooms yet

Instructors: Brandon Levi. Nice guy, not a fan of his style or the nipple pinching or dirty jokes that go on during class.

Reputation: Haven't been impressed by their fighters. They all seem to brawl. Not much technique displayed. Decent cardio. If you want to see their students:

While that is a beginners' class, I recognize those faces from the advanced/sparring class as well. So, there you go.

Cost: 150-160 range i think. 20 per class

Reviews: Evolution Muay Thai - Flatiron - Manhattan, NY (The review by James J sums up my opinion)

^ i saw what your review so what gym are you going to now? or are you not saying?

as far as everything i have heard, 5points and sitan are the best, but sitan is too far away.

my work is near evolution and ultimate, but there are so many conflicting reports on both of those.

The guy who "owns" camp undefeated is renting space at Chok Sabai gym on 30th st and 5th ave. He is the only instructor at "camp undefeated" It's a joke. Choke Sabai has Mt and BJJ check them out but stay far far away from Laszlo at camp defeated.

5 Points Academy should fit the bill, however, they're $200 a month

In terms of Muay Thai quality, fight team, and fight record, you can't beat Sitan Muay Thai but as a poster already mentioned they're far (Astoria, Queens) if you're commuting from Manhattan.

I want a MMA gym. But a good gym that offers quality instruction in both stand up striking as well as grappling (clinch, wrestling, and ground fighting). I would like a place that actually focuses on MMA and teaches the students how to transition between fighting ranges and mix it up. Basically a real MMA gym. But I would also like a place that offers Filipino Martial Arts (stick and knife fighting) as well (more as an added bonus, but I guess not my main priority at the moment).

It seems as though, it's becoming quite a task to find a gym with very few blemishes and weird politics going on.

Regarding Evolution, I don't mind a gym that's fun and relaxed (obviously), but I don't like the idea of being humped on or getting my nipples twisted while working pads. That actually just seems unsafe.

Anyone know anything about DeRosa MMA? I am assuming that it's a new place.

I was hoping Camp Undefeated might be a winner, but I am hearing shady things about both Camp Undefeated as well as Anderson's Martial Arts.

I've heard that Fight House closed down (due to some sort of safety violation regarding there being too many people in the area at one time and causing a fire hazard or something). Their website says that they've re-located temporarily.

thanks so much for the replies guys, keep 'em coming. I'm sure I'm not the only person trying to find a good MMA gym in NYC.

Hey I actually just replied to this post in the grappling section...but thought I'd throw my two cents in here as well, especially given some criticisms of Evolution MT. I used to train there (left because I moved to a new city) and I for one had nothing but good experiences. I also trained with Brandon Levi during his time at Fighthouse before he moved out on his own.

I've personally always found Brandon to be a great instructor. He mixes up the training sessions a lot and it never became repetitive or dull. Sure, from time to time there is a bit of horseplay, but in my experience it was never while actually drilling or in the act of padwork/sparring etc. Additionally, I've never seen anyone mess around with someone who wasn't a regular and who wasn't comfortable with a little goofing around. I personally enjoyed the relax atmosphere, but don't get me wrong, the training sessions will kick your ass if you're willing to work hard. Additionally, Rob Rogan regularly (or at least did when I was there not long ago) teaches several of the Muay Thai classes -- Rob is based out of American Top Team NY and is also a great trainer.

Also btw, those videos are from right when the gym opened, there are mats down on the floors now, heavy bags up etc. And while the poster who said that some of the faces were from the intermediate/advanced/sparring sessions is correct, a lot of people will slow themselves down in the beginner sessions to focus on technique etc, so take that however you will.

^^^ Sounds good, thanks for the reply.

I just noticed that Rene is teaching the grappling classes there which is cool, I trained with him a bit here and there randomly in the past. He's a great teacher. I guess I'll be making an appointment to check out Evolution now as well.

Hey I actually just replied to this post in the grappling section...but thought I'd throw my two cents in here as well, especially given some criticisms of Evolution MT. I used to train there (left because I moved to a new city) and I for one had nothing but good experiences. I also trained with Brandon Levi during his time at Fighthouse before he moved out on his own.

I've personally always found Brandon to be a great instructor. He mixes up the training sessions a lot and it never became repetitive or dull. Sure, from time to time there is a bit of horseplay, but in my experience it was never while actually drilling or in the act of padwork/sparring etc. Additionally, I've never seen anyone mess around with someone who wasn't a regular and who wasn't comfortable with a little goofing around. I personally enjoyed the relax atmosphere, but don't get me wrong, the training sessions will kick your ass if you're willing to work hard. Additionally, Rob Rogan regularly (or at least did when I was there not long ago) teaches several of the Muay Thai classes -- Rob is based out of American Top Team NY and is also a great trainer.

Also btw, those videos are from right when the gym opened, there are mats down on the floors now, heavy bags up etc. And while the poster who said that some of the faces were from the intermediate/advanced/sparring sessions is correct, a lot of people will slow themselves down in the beginner sessions to focus on technique etc, so take that however you will.

To each his own. I had some grappling from elsewhere but I started out at fighthouse with Brandon. Rob Rogan was teaching there as well from time to time (I'm old school, Brandon was only teaching like 3 classes a week back then, that's when he actually used to TEACH). Did not know that he was at Evolution now, but if you take classes from Rob, you'll at least get good instruction. I guess it's different strokes for different folks, but there was too much playing around and I felt like I was learning nothing. So I decided to train at different gyms around the city until I settled on the one that was best for me. Hearing gay jokes and hearing the instructor yell "send her back to the kitchen" when a guy is sparring a girl is not my idea of fun.

To each his own. I had some grappling from elsewhere but I started out at fighthouse with Brandon. Rob Rogan was teaching there as well from time to time (I'm old school, Brandon was only teaching like 3 classes a week back then, that's when he actually used to TEACH). Did not know that he was at Evolution now, but if you take classes from Rob, you'll at least get good instruction. I guess it's different strokes for different folks, but there was too much playing around and I felt like I was learning nothing. So I decided to train at different gyms around the city until I settled on the one that was best for me. Hearing gay jokes and hearing the instructor yell "send her back to the kitchen" when a guy is sparring a girl is not my idea of fun.

Agreed, to each his own. Definitely not hating on your opinion, just thought I'd put the other side out there too for the OP to consider and use however they like.

Sounds like maybe you are at a more advanced level than I and felt like you had hit a plateau, whereas I'm still learning, developing my skills etc. In any event, not trying to detract from your opinion or experience...NOT flaming on sherdog, I almost can't believe it myself

I've trained under Brandon Levi for a little more than over 1 year and I can say that he did work my butt off. He's a good teacher.

His joking around wasn't during class but rather more in between classes or during rest periods. I welcomed that because it lighted up the place which I personally liked. Some people may take the joking around as unprofessional or distracting but I viewed it a welcomed thing. I don't want to go to a gym that's so uptight where everyone has a cucumber up their ass. Different strokes, different folks.

Rene does teach the nogi classes there and he's a great teacher as well. He's very detailed about showing you the moves and makes you keep at till you get it. He's a good teacher.

I would still be there if I didn't like BJJ with a gi better and they don't do gi classes. :(

Anyone know anything or have any opinions on Chok Sabai Gym?

Chok Sabai Gym

Looks like some cool facilities, seems mostly geared towards Muay Thai, but the schedules has like 1 or 2 days of BJJ and some Kali classes as well.

The Pilates and Yoga stuff kinda throws me off though...

Hello everyone.

I am looking to find a gym to train at. I would like to train at a MMA place (stand up, striking, wrestling, grappling, submissions, etc.)

However, I have also always wanted to train Filipino Martial Arts (specifically stick fighting and knife fighting). The Dog Brothers stuff looks really cool. Although, I don't think they have any places in NYC.

My priority is finding a good MMA place. But a place that also teaches Filipino Martial Arts or some sort of weapons fighting would be an added bonus.

Another priority is class size. One of the issues I started to have at the last school I was training at was that it was starting to get waaay overcrowded. I would like to have some individual attention and not be some dude lost in a crowd of students that the instructor never sees where I won't be able to have my questions answered.

At the moment, I am specifically looking at 3 gyms. I would like to find a place that offers good quality instruction, good training partners, the possibility of competing (not just in one discipline, or not just in MMA and nothing else), and of course something that won't leave me without money to live like a normal human being (probably the biggest challenge in finding a gym in NYC).

I am specifically looking at 3 places at the moment:

Camp Undefeated
Camp Undefeated - MMA - Mixed Martial Arts - Muay Thai - Kick Boxing - BJJ - Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - Manhattan New York, NYC

They seem to offer a good program for MMA. They have a Muay Thai program, a BJJ program, and it appears from their website that they also have boxing and greco-roman wrestling (or at least they will have that, or maybe they use to have that and now they don't). The price seems pretty standard from the info they e-mailed me (which is probably downright expensive if you aren't familiar with NYC prices). They have a full MMA cage, and it seems Jorge "Macaco" Patino will be teaching there soon (very cool!)

Unfortunately, I guess they don't have any kind of weapons training.

Anderson's Martial Arts
Anderson's Martial Arts: Home

This place seems awesome, they seem to have all the programs that I want: MMA, BJJ, Muay Thai, Filipino Martial Arts, weapons etc. They also have tons of classes each week during the day. They also provide you with 2 free private lessons right off the bat to help introduce you to the program and transition into the school.

The prices they e-mailed me seem out of my price limit though. $200 a month for unlimited classes. Unless I misread it. But that just seems a little to expensive for me right now.

DeRose Pure MMA Training NYC
PURE MMA NYC

I can't exactly tell too much from the website. It seems they are a MMA and self-defense school. Their program seems to contain boxing, Muay Thai, Jeet Kune Do, Greco-Roman and freestyle wrestling, Sambo, Judo, BJJ, and submission wrestling. The prices are the same as Camp Undefeated, and the location is great, a couple blocks away from where I live. So I can walk or jog to and from their location.

Unfortunately, they only offer classes 4 days a week (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday). It would work out better if I could find a place that offers more days of classes since my schedule is constantly changing.

The obvious thing would be to try out free trial classes or go ahead and check out the schools myself, which I plan on doing next week. But I just wanted to know if anyone on the boards train at any of these places or can offer any input on these places. I am trying to get as much info and intel on these schools because I'm really stuck on what to choose. Even if I check out the schools and take the free trial classes it's still hard to make a decision (you can get a little taste and a little insight but I guess its not nearly the same as getting a good perspective from training there for about a month or so) I want as much info on the schools as I can find.

Any input, or suggestions would be appreciated. If you guys want to shout out some schools that maybe i want to consider please do so.

Thanks guys
Hey I would check out New York Jiu Jitsu as well. They used to have Coban as head Muay Thai instructor but he moved to Philly. Now they have Dorian Price was on TUF and the UFC and on Master Toddy's team. The also have Kali and a full cage for MMA. Its a legit place def would not rule it out. Its in the West Village. Hope this helps.

Back