Elections NYC Council reaches deal to let 800K immigrant New Yorkers vote in local elections

Grassshoppa

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Didn't see a thread about this. Amazing. What's next? Chinese citizens who are living in China get to vote in US elections too?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/n...vote-in-local-elections/ar-AAR62j8?li=BBnb7Kz

New York City’s electorate is about to get a whole lot bigger.

The City Council has reached a deal to pass a bill next month that will give nearly 1 million immigrant New Yorkers the right to vote in local elections.

The bill, crafted by Manhattan Councilman Ydanis Rodriguez, will extend voting rights to those who have permanent legal resident status, most of whom are green cardholders.

New York City Council Member Ydanis Rodriguez (D-Manhattan) (Luiz C. Ribeiro/)

Rodriguez, a Democrat whose district includes Washington Heights, said Wednesday he reached an agreement this week with Council Speaker Corey Johnson to bring the bill to a vote on Dec. 9. The measure already has the support of a veto-proof majority of the Council, Rodriguez noted, making it a surefire success.

“I think it’s an important gift for our brother and sister New Yorkers during this holiday to let them know we’re giving them the dignity and respect they deserve,” said Rodriguez, a native of the Dominican Republic who himself held a green card for nearly two decades before becoming a citizen in 2000. “The message we’re sending is that we recognize their contributions”

There are about 808,000 immigrants with permanent legal status in the five boroughs, according to Mayor de Blasio’s Office of Immigrant Affairs.

Under Rodriguez’s bill, they will be allowed to vote for mayor, comptroller, Council and other city-level positions. The legislation does not extend the right to vote for federal or state offices including the U.S. president, a member of U.S. Congress and governor.

Immigration advocates have long called for affording voting rights to green card holders, arguing that they contribute to society in the same way citizens do, including by paying both federal and local taxes.

“We are ready to make history and expand our democracy! #OurCityOurVote will become a reality,” tweeted Murad Awawdeh, executive director of the New York Immigration Coalition. “I can’t express my deep admiration and gratitude.”

Some skepticism remains over whether Rodriguez’s bill can withstand legal scrutiny without an amendment to the state Constitution.

Among the skeptics is de Blasio, who said Tuesday that he remains concerned about the legality of the bill.

Still, de Blasio voiced support for the measure and confirmed he won’t stand in the way of it once passed by the Council.

“I do have reservations, but obviously I want to see exactly what they’re doing,” de Blasio told reporters, adding that he “certainly” won’t veto the bill despite remaining on the fence about whether it’s “the right way to go about this.”

If its local, thats okay I guess?. But how the hell do they do it when local and national elections coincide? They cant use the same ballot as full citizens because legally can't vote for anything but NYC stuff.

If its local, thats okay I guess?. But how the hell do they do it when local and national elections coincide? They cant use the same ballot as full citizens because legally can't vote for anything but NYC stuff.
This is the slippery slope, soon it will be a push to allow them to vote in all national elections, then the push will come to allow people who were not born in the US to run for President.

This is the slippery slope, soon it will be a push to allow them to vote in all national elections, then the push will come to allow people who were not born in the US to run for President.
There's no slippery slope there. This is a city council level decision which affects no one outside of their city. The slope you're talking about would require a full on amendment to the Constitution. The mechanics of these 2 processes are so far apart that it's pretty much impossible to imply that one happening could lead to the other.

It's like claiming that because some condo board voted to do something, it's become the a slippery slope to the state legislature might do the same thing. The leap is astronomical.

At a local level, seems fine imo. I like localities/ states exploring different policy ideas rather than it just suddenly being something that’s fought for at a national level. Also, if it’s green card holders, that is a big distinction from someone here illegally. They are already on a path to citizenship which can still take years to complete. I’m more pleased NYC went forward with ranked choice voting in primaries so seems like they are pretty comfortable with experimenting here.

Lots of supporters of "taxation without representation" in this thread I suspect.

They're legal immigrants with resident status and it's a local election. Not a bad thing, though I do think their length of time in the country should factor in to whether they get to vote or not. But if they're a legal and productive member of society? Sure. These elections effect where they live. They should have a say.

There folks are green card holders, which means they got here legally and will become citizens in a few years, and this is only local elections.

There's no slippery slope there. This is a city council level decision which affects no one outside of their city. The slope you're talking about would require a full on amendment to the Constitution. The mechanics of these 2 processes are so far apart that it's pretty much impossible to imply that one happening could lead to the other.

It's like claiming that because some condo board voted to do something, it's become the a slippery slope to the state legislature might do the same thing. The leap is astronomical.

It affects a lot of people in Staten Island who don’t consider themselves to be part of the city, lol

I’d appreciate that you’d stop posting rationally and fully embraces the fear that is attempting to be used to scare people.

There folks are green card holders, which means they got here legally and will become citizens in a few years, and this is only local elections.

They also legally pay income taxes. I’m guessing that the whole taxation without representation no longer holds meaning to a portion of the country.

Last edited:
The only opinion that really matters here is of those that live in NYC.

With that being said, I think they should have to wait until they become citizens...

Yea lower border security get record number of illegals give them voting rights and welfare benefits …

If you pay taxes then you should have a say in how those taxes get spent.

Cool now they can turn new york into whatever shit hole they came from

NYC will be counting the illegal votes for the national elections as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back