number of punches/kicks in a combination

MisterT

Tsar
@Brown
Reaction score
What is the number of punches and kicks that you prefer to use in your combinations?

I know some ppl that like to go all out and craft combos that have 10-12 moves (comprising of punches, elbows, knees, kicks, etc) while others tend to keep it short and simple (around 4-6).

What do you prefer?

2-4, dart in and out. I have never seen anyone land a 12 strike combo in real life, so I don't know why you should train that way?

I usually throw 2-3 punches and finish with a body kick as I'm a thai boxer and body kicks score big points, for MMA a low kick or takedown would be a safer bet to end a combo with.

2-4, dart in and out. I have never seen anyone land a 12 strike combo in real life, so I don't know why you should train that way?

Precisely.

The reason why I asked was that in my MMA boxing and Muay Thai class, the instructors tend to make us work on these long chains of combinations.
They'll start off by teaching us three or four different combinations (each with approximately 3-4 moves) and then they'll "chain" them together, resulting in a combo with 10+ moves.

I guess that they just teach it like that so that you can get technique down, but IMO, in a fight, keeping it simple (3-4 moves) would be optimal.

A string of attacks I use depends on lots of things.

The 1-2 punch is an important tool for fighting, but I've had practices where I really get a good feeling going if I just keep attacking, attacking, attacking for a good 20 seconds.

Precisely.

The reason why I asked was that in my MMA boxing and Muay Thai class, the instructors tend to make us work on these long chains of combinations.
They'll start off by teaching us three or four different combinations (each with approximately 3-4 moves) and then they'll "chain" them together, resulting in a combo with 10+ moves.

I guess that they just teach it like that so that you can get technique down, but IMO, in a fight, keeping it simple (3-4 moves) would be optimal.

I am in no way an authority on standup training. I'm sure your coaches make you do it for a good reason. I can imagine that it's a good way to learn to flow between different punches and kicks. Im going to try and train longer combinations next time I train to try it out. Nobody has ever made me do that.

I guess it depends on what stage in your training you are. Long combos to learn good technique, short combos when training for a fight, maybe.

When I was in an Israeli Self-Defense class the instructor taught us a combo that went up to 23 moves. I mean, after the elbow to the face at 8, or e=the ankle smash at 13, there's really no need to go up to 23 moves.

Up to 4-5 is my max. Jab cross Hook right kick left kick for example.

4-5 at the most, any more than that and I feel like i'm going to get counter punched

MMA Striking classes are a joke.

Don't limit yourself to being a 1-2 striker/boxer (although as a beginner that is
probably all you will get away with before being counter-punched), but it is
still very important you learn to throw the 1-2 then get out

Try for 3 or 4 strike combo's as you progress
and leave the 12 strike combo's for the movies.

im guessing its 1,2,3 move, 4,5 move, 6,7,8 move, 9, 10 ... or at least i pray it is.

it has to be be some similar combination of that, because anybody who has striked in ANY style for a long time will tell you, most fighters when hit will have the automatic reaction of hitting back.

I personally wouldn't even try to throw 12 strikes of any kind in a row. I wouldnt insult anybody like that who really trains. its like me saying, your so weak and so slow I can light you up and all you are going to do is stand there and take it.

MMA Striking classes are a joke.

They really are.

Makes me really miss my old boxing gym in East LA. They had crappy equipment but at least they offered quality instruction and an abundance of good sparring partners.

My new MMA school has it backwards. They have top of the line equipment and mats but really crappy sparring partners / instructors (as far as striking goes. the grappling instruction / partners are excellent tho).

Precisely.

We are the exact same alot of us are like WTF?

I've always been taught to do no more than 5 because you risk thinking too much and not actually concentrating on what your doing so mine tend to consist of no more than 4.

Back