not enough days in the week

grappler1979

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
how do you guys fit all your training time in?
im kinda stuck on what to do at the moment because my options have really opened up in regards of where to train.
a brief history
i did powerlifting for around 4 years from the ages of 20 to 24
i hurt my leg in a fall and was stuck in bed for a while
i discovered a jkd academy that was local to me and started going there
it also offered combat submission wrestling
ive been doing this now for the last 18 months or so off and on
there is a gracie barra about 25 miles from me and ive been going there every saturday for the last month or so
im really enjoying but im just pissed that its so far away
so im currently doing jkd/combat submission wrestling on a monday/wednesday and bjj on a saturday.
i would like to go the bjj academy more but its finding the time
it offers gi classes on a monday/wednesday and a no gi class on a tuesday (with also a class on a sunday afternoon exclusively for rolling)
ive found a local thai academy ive decided to go to at least once a week for a private because my stand up sucks
also i know i should be doing some weights but where do i fit this in?
im fairly strong still and around 200lbs at 5.8 (i was 230lbs 18 monhts ago when i was powerlifting)
also to makes thing even more complicated again a freestyle wrestling class has opened locally to me and offers lessons on a tuesday and friday
i just wish i could train at all of them
i really enjoy training at the jkd academy and i dont want to drop it but it looks like i dont have an option
or perhaps i could alternate week to week?
any help would be appreciated
cheers

Why don't you get some home grappling mats, find someone to train with- then you could increase the time on the mats and do the stuff you learned at your gracie barra school./ get some instructionals

if training and competing is important, then you should make sacrifes in ur life to accomadate your training Yes it is hard to train and have other stuff in the way..

try alternating classes, try some home training, see what works the best for you.

a guy i go to jkd with comes to bjj with me on the saturdays and we practice before jkd classes

grappler1979 said:
a guy i go to jkd with comes to bjj with me on the saturdays and we practice before jkd classes

Dude...you're a machine. You're training a ton. Now just let it simmer and the skills will come.

(by simmer I mean just keep doing what you're doing...)

Back when I used to work at the federal building (So Seattle) I used to do the same work out you do (minus power lifting) I was going to BJJ M - F at 4:30 and Tu TH nights I would train with Chris. I did mostly the Kali classes not so much the Muay Thai.

All I have got to say is you are very lucky guy. You are in th middle of a huge hub of great schools. Chris Clark teaches a good stand up/ self defense game. Mamazhino is very techinicaly sound and teaches an awesome Gi and tournament school. If you go to Auburn and Renton both James and Tony are great guys with good afilliations and have schools full of good people t roll with.

None of those schools ae going to treat you like meat and beat you down. But you need to do what your body an take. You also need to do what your wallet can take. At one time I was paying for JKD BJJ and 4 privates a month with Juliano (no longer in WA state btw) and that was costing over $300 /mo.

I would take a good look at the schools closest to you. Lotus Club is a nice place. It will mix well with you JKD/MT becasue both instructors where former TMA students before achieving their browns in BJJ.

What ever you do make sure it is something you can keep up with and enjoy. BTW .... Then end of this month 30 Jul Marcello Alonso is having a tourney. You might want to stop by. His web site is MABJJ.com or org or net. Something like that. At the tourney youll get a good feel of all the different traditional BJJ schools in the area and meet alot of good people. Thats the most improtant part .. the people.

Good Luck to you.

ichimonji said:
Back when I used to work at the federal building (So Seattle) I used to do the same work out you do (minus power lifting) I was going to BJJ M - F at 4:30 and Tu TH nights I would train with Chris. I did mostly the Kali classes not so much the Muay Thai.

All I have got to say is you are very lucky guy. You are in th middle of a huge hub of great schools. Chris Clark teaches a good stand up/ self defense game. Mamazhino is very techinicaly sound and teaches an awesome Gi and tournament school. If you go to Auburn and Renton both James and Tony are great guys with good afilliations and have schools full of good people t roll with.

None of those schools ae going to treat you like meat and beat you down. But you need to do what your body an take. You also need to do what your wallet can take. At one time I was paying for JKD BJJ and 4 privates a month with Juliano (no longer in WA state btw) and that was costing over $300 /mo.

I would take a good look at the schools closest to you. Lotus Club is a nice place. It will mix well with you JKD/MT becasue both instructors where former TMA students before achieving their browns in BJJ.

What ever you do make sure it is something you can keep up with and enjoy. BTW .... Then end of this month 30 Jul Marcello Alonso is having a tourney. You might want to stop by. His web site is MABJJ.com or org or net. Something like that. At the tourney youll get a good feel of all the different traditional BJJ schools in the area and meet alot of good people. Thats the most improtant part .. the people.

Good Luck to you.

sorry dude
im in kent in england

how is this for a cycle?

week 1
monday.jkd/csw
tuesday no gi bjj
wednesday jkd/csw
thursday thai boxing
friday powerlifting
saturday bjj

week 2
monday bjj
tuesday no gi bjj
wednesday jkd/csw
thursday thai boxing
friday powerlifting
saturday bjj

or will i be lacking if i dont take up freestyle wrestling?
its available on a tuesday and friday

grappler1979 said:
how is this for a cycle?

week 1
monday.jkd/csw
tuesday no gi bjj
wednesday jkd/csw
thursday thai boxing
friday powerlifting
saturday bjj

week 2
monday bjj
tuesday no gi bjj
wednesday jkd/csw
thursday thai boxing
friday powerlifting
saturday bjj

or will i be lacking if i dont take up freestyle wrestling?
its available on a tuesday and friday

Dude, don't worry about lacking. Sounds like your plate is full. I just started back at a BJJ club on Saturdays, and that's all I can do right now with my work schedule. I'm jealous!

I couldnt dream of doing so much... Honestly if i were you i would pick one thing and just try to stick with that. Submission wrestling maybe and make it to the seminars and stuff for bjj. Your going to develop habbits in each discipline you take and they might not transfer over so well..... one instructor going to tell you to do it this way, another to do it that way.... Then your stuck cause he is yelling at you when your doing the other.....

Just find one thing you like and stick to it....

grappler1979 said:
sorry dude
im in kent in england

DAMMIT, leave it to those english types to name a city after a small suburb in Washington state. What are they gonna think of next? A city called Birmingham?

or americans are gonna take places like york or jersey and put new in front of it??

Get a calender, write down what you wanna do and when and then stick to it. For instance, August can be "focus on Grappling" september could be " less Grappling, more striking" october " lift more, Grapple more, strike more" on and on. Check out the Team Quest home page: www.tqfc.com for more helpful hints.

Yeah man I hear you on this. Having to work 9 hours a day. The commute taking 45 minutes each way. The meal preparation time and everything. If I do train that day, I get not time to relax. It would be work, train, sleep for me.

timbaland you have exactly the same life as me
i guess the big question for me is
do i stick to just bjj for now or do i add freestyle wrestling to the mix as well?
cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back