Not enough credits given to whoever gameplanned for Poirier two fights in a row

Props to Mike brown. He's the one who orchestrated every game plan for ATT. Sometimes he wins, sometimes he loses but he's probably the best coach along with Trevor Whitman right now.

And Jackson for some reason got baaaad in recent years.

It's like that stupid shoulder strike. I think it is an ass move that is useless but it worked against old cowboy. People were calling him a genius for that.

Plus Jon Jones did that like 10 years ago against Rashad.

Poirier always had a good check hook, but he used it incredibly well in the first fight, along with his low kicks. That was a great game plan.

In the third fight, everyone is talking about the broken leg and all, but Conor's downfall started when he sorta got rocked in the stand up when Poirier countered Conor's left hand.

I do think Conor's striking regressed incredibly so, but you have to tip your hat to Poirier for what he was able to do and did.

I don't think Poirier ever in his life countered someone's left straight simultaneoulsy like that, and I do believe that was drilled because it was so well executed, never been done, and I think it was because they thought Conor would be prepared for check hooks this time so they went the other way around.

Poirier do like to counter people with his left, but in his entire career, it's always a half second after the punches. He has NEVER countered someone's left hand like that, and I think that was drilled.

Overall, I think the game plan was incredible. In the second fight, Poirier countered Conor with check hooks, then caught him with left straight counter while slowing him down with leg kicks. In the third fight, Poirier again countered Conor with left overhand, then left straight, which got Conor initiating clinch first.

Poirier had incredibly well thought out game plan, whereas Kanavagh got Conor drilling guillotine, which was probably the worst game planning that I'm aware of in the history of MMA. The difference in quality of coaching between the two fees like as big of a gap in size between the pacific ocean and a cup of glass.
I've said it from the start, thank his boxing coach. The reason Dustin improved as much as he did in his boxing is because of his boxing coach. Right hook counter in the rematch, left cross counter in the trilogy fight. Plus shifting combinations and inside fighting. Dustin improved those skills with his boxing coach.

That would be Mike Brown probably.

Mike-Brown-and-Dustin-Poirier.png

Fun fact: He’s 2-0 against Urijah Faber.
You are missing his boxing coach. He's the reason for Dustin's boxing improvements which is the main reason he wins his fights.

I can't fault Mcgregor for the sub attempt. He is trying out something he worked on in camp. It's like that stupid shoulder strike. I think it is an ass move that is useless but it worked against old cowboy. People were calling him a genius for that.
Conor made the mistake of not jumping into guard with the guillotine, he just fell into it and tried to pull guard once on the floor but by that time it's too late. He also let go of his grip right away to try and base his left hand on the mat to keep his back off the floor. He lost the guillotine right there when he let go of the grip and grounded himself. If he kept the grip Dustin would still have to defend against it even though Conor's back is on the mat, Conor could've used it to sweep or to scramble back up once he let go but instead he let go of the grip early and Dustin grounded him and rained down elbows. Conor got himself stuck with bad guillotine technique and strategy, that is the fault of whoever is teaching him his bjj.

The shoulder strike works and Conor does it in an effective way, it's common in boxing but not so much in mma. Lots of boxers use shoulder strikes, Conor switched it up by jumping into the shoulder strike from the clinch though so he gets credit for that. He over does it now though, it should be a move to set up other techniques. Conor goes for like 3 or 4 in a row when he starts with the shoulder strikes so you know it's coming. Better to throw a couple to set up something else. He should use it more to break out of the clinch like how boxers use it. Dustin just clinched him to stop the shoulder strikes once Conor started spamming it.

Porier besmirches any version of Conor at 155.

Poirier always had a good check hook, but he used it incredibly well in the first fight, along with his low kicks. That was a great game plan.

In the third fight, everyone is talking about the broken leg and all, but Conor's downfall started when he sorta got rocked in the stand up when Poirier countered Conor's left hand.

I do think Conor's striking regressed incredibly so, but you have to tip your hat to Poirier for what he was able to do and did.

I don't think Poirier ever in his life countered someone's left straight simultaneoulsy like that, and I do believe that was drilled because it was so well executed, never been done, and I think it was because they thought Conor would be prepared for check hooks this time so they went the other way around.

Poirier do like to counter people with his left, but in his entire career, it's always a half second after the punches. He has NEVER countered someone's left hand like that, and I think that was drilled.

Overall, I think the game plan was incredible. In the second fight, Poirier countered Conor with check hooks, then caught him with left straight counter while slowing him down with leg kicks. In the third fight, Poirier again countered Conor with left overhand, then left straight, which got Conor initiating clinch first.

Poirier had incredibly well thought out game plan, whereas Kanavagh got Conor drilling guillotine, which was probably the worst game planning that I'm aware of in the history of MMA. The difference in quality of coaching between the two fees like as big of a gap in size between the pacific ocean and a cup of glass.

MTB..!!!!

Champion and corner to Champions.

Great gameplanning... Also great mentoring fighters into maturity.

Dustin kept his cool in the cage, which along with sharpening his tools and planning were the big factors.

upload_2021-7-24_11-19-39.jpeg

Mike Brown. Was it really that hard to find out TS? Lazy af and flat ignorant to not know who ATT's main coach was. Great coach and former champ unlike Kavanaghgh

Mike Brown. Was it really that hard to find out TS? Lazy af and flat ignorant to not know who ATT's main coach was. Great coach and former champ unlike Kavanaghgh

Of course I knew who that was. How do we know exactly who plans out his striking plans, his head coach or the striking coach?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back