North-South Choke

Galahad

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So I've been having a lot of success with this, especially when a friend of mine who is signed up on mginaction.com showed me a lot of tips, but I was wondering if there was anything good to combo it with when it fails, similar to triangle->armbar?

Thanks.

I heard BJ Penn is coming out with a book about this position. Hope it comes out soon.

What about keeping the arm in and transitioning to a mounted guillotine?

Just for clarification I'm talking about the n-s choke without the arm in.

If the choke fails, you should ask yourself why, and correct the details.

That being said, the N/S Kimura is a nice transition from there. It also serves as an effective setup if you want to go back to an even tighter N/S choke.

...paper cutter? What is this? I've never heard of such a thing, sounds like a choke though.

Quite the joker in that video.

Cool move I guess, although I'm mostly a no-gi guy. I like that set-up position though, that sort of 45 degree angle north south/reverse scarf hold thingy.

So I've been having a lot of success with this, especially when a friend of mine who is signed up on mginaction.com showed me a lot of tips, but I was wondering if there was anything good to combo it with when it fails, similar to triangle->armbar?

Thanks.

If they scramble up to their knees I like to finish with a Guillotine. Just like Marcelo did against K-Taro in the semifinals of ADCC 2009. He had the N/S choke locked in, K-Taro spun to his belly, and before he could get to his knees, Marcelo threw a leg over the shoudler, lifted the left elbow, and made him tap instantly.

If they don't get to their knees, but I can't finish, sometimes I will jump my knees forward so one is on each side of their head and I'll attack the Kimura. If I can't break the grip, I'll sit down on the side and attack the straight armlock. That's a nice little combo. Usually I finish with the choke though.

The Darce/Brabo is a good option if you are good at varied setups for the position. If you're doing the N/S choke with your right arm, you will need to walk your leg to the right to get into side control, while shooting your left arm around his head like you're going to go right back to the N/S choke, but on the left side instead. You overhook their right arm with yours and pull them up on their side, and reposition your arms for the finish. You can also set Darce/Brabo up from here by reaching under their head, not around and over it. This one is very hard to explain in writing.

You can also transition to the seatbelt position and take the back. If you can't finish the choke, jump your knees forward but do not leg go of the choke. Their head should be in your lap facing upwards, with your arm still around their neck. Shoot your left arm under and through their left armpit while sprawling to move your right arm to connect with the left for the standard seatbelt grip. You should be on your chest with the seatbelt grip, and they should be leaning WAY back, with their head looking at their feet. Squeeze them into your chest as you walk back up and get at least one hook in. Then do your back control thing.

I feel like all of these work pretty well for me. I probably do the Darce switchup the least of the four, but I used to do it a lot because I love that choke. But now I'm more into back hunting, so I will usually go for back control if they don't fight up to their knees. If they do, it's Guillotines.

If you don't understand any of these descriptions, I'll TRY to dig up some video and/or re-explain better. It might be hard though. I do think there's a N/S choke to seatbelt/back control video on mginaction.

[Tycho?];41295875 said:
Quite the joker in that video.

Cool move I guess, although I'm mostly a no-gi guy. I like that set-up position though, that sort of 45 degree angle north south/reverse scarf hold thingy.

I HATE that move. I got no-gi papercutter'd hard in Febuary and I couldn't swallow and coughed up blood for 2 days.

Thank you Drew! I always look forward to your posts and was really hoping you'd come in here.

Thank you Drew! I always look forward to your posts and was really hoping you'd come in here.

LOL thank you. Do you understand the descriptions for the last two techniques? I tried to describe them well but I could probably do better if you're confused.

N/S choke --> kimura or armbar or that old-school back take where you lift the guy with the skirt of his gi. If you're feeling clever, you can casually secure a cross lapel grip and circling to that side in order to bait the bottom man to come to his knees and right into a clock choke.

Back