North Carolina Admits to Suppressing Black Voters on Purpose

58miles

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
North Carolina admits that it shut down Sunday voting because African Americans vote heavily on Sundays and vote heavily Democrat In a legal filing.

The State then elaborated on its justification, explaining that “[c]ounties with Sunday voting in 2014 were disproportionately black” and “disproportionately Democratic.” J.A. 22348-49. In response, SL 2013-381 did away with one of the two days of Sunday voting.
pg. 39

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/7-29-16 4th Circuit NAACP v NC.pdf

Please refer to things like this whenever somebody whines about why more African Americans don't vote Republican.

North Carolina admits that it shut down Sunday voting because African Americans vote heavily on Sundays and vote heavily Democrat In a legal filing.

The State then elaborated on its justification, explaining that “[c]ounties with Sunday voting in 2014 were disproportionately black” and “disproportionately Democratic.” J.A. 22348-49. In response, SL 2013-381 did away with one of the two days of Sunday voting.
pg. 39

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/7-29-16 4th Circuit NAACP v NC.pdf

Please refer to things like this whenever somebody whines about why more African Americans don't vote Republican.
I live in North Carolina and I vote nearly every election and I can assure you that African-Americans vote every other day too. Shutting down the Sunday vote in no way hinders blacks from voting.

I live in North Carolina and I vote nearly every election and I can assure you that African-Americans vote every other day too. Shutting down the Sunday vote in no way hinders blacks from voting.
Ok but why shut it down?

Last edited:
The Republicans admit shutting down Sunday voting with the clear intent to suppress the African American vote.

So, blacks vote on Sundays? I never knew that. I just figured they voted when it was time to vote like everybody else.

So, blacks vote on Sundays? I never knew that. I just figured they voted when it was time to vote like everybody else.
The Republicans admitted why they did it in a legal filing, what other proof do you need?

The Republicans admit shutting down Sunday voting with the clear intent to suppress the African American vote.
It's not going to work because they can vote on other days too.

Sunday voting?

I've never even heard of it.

Why do it to begin with? Why shut down Sunday voting?
If I'm not mistaken we only had Sunday voting for one or two years maybe I'm not sure about that but I don't remember it before that. I'm a Republican and I'm not sure why they did it everybody should get to vote but changing the days of voting doesn't stop anyone from voting

If I'm not mistaken we only had Sunday voting for one or two years maybe I'm not sure about that but I don't remember it before that. I'm a Republican and I'm not sure why they did it everybody should get to vote but changing the days of voting doesn't stop anyone from voting
The point is they were trying to keep African Americans from voting. The simple fact the Republicans were even trying to keep African Americans from voting is disgusting but not at all surprising.

Making people show identification is also racist though.

Fwiw, the point of Sunday voting is that a lot of people who have trouble getting around in general go to Church or have family visits on Sunday, so it is a day that would be easier for poor/ sick/ old folks to get a lift to the the polls.

It's a good idea. Doesn't take brain surgery.

Fwiw, the point of Sunday voting is that a lot of marginalized people who have trouble getting around in general go to Church or have family visits on Sunday, so it is a day that would be easier for poor/ sick/ old folks to get a lift to the the polls.
I am not isolated I live in eastern North Carolina and a small town and have first-hand knowledge about what goes on in the voting around here because I vote nearly every election. If you think that changing a law to which day people can vote is going to stop blacks from getting to the polls you are an idiot. I have many black friends and many white friends and nearly all of them have transportation on other days besides Sunday. Just another talking point on your side that makes no sense whatsoever.

Also, if Republicans could somehow make it that you could only vote from the inside of your SUV, that would be their ideal solution.

Back