Noobie question (forearm choke)

tdk_tdk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've only start bjj for about 2 weeks, so sorry for the lame question.

I'm only 140 pounds, and i roll with a guy (noobie also) that is 200pounds. Whenever i have him in my guard he always grabs his right wrist and drives his forearm into my throat. Pretty lame choke, but the guy is strong and heavy so he taps me. Any help on how to get out of it? preferably without using a gi.

put your left forearm across his collar bone before he totally squashes you. this forms a frame. you're not actually pushing him, but keeping your forearm pressed against his neck/jaw if he tries to smother you - this will give you the space you need to move. grab his right wrist with your left hand and armbar his right arm...tada!

edit: 2 weeks, ask your damn instructor and train more.

I assume you're trying to use your arm strength to relieve the pressure of his weight on your throat. Forget that. Use your hips to shift his weight off of your throat - or learn to sweep him. Remember - he is in your guard. You can control him easily with a little practice.

Good luck and stick with it. You'll be impressing yourself before you know it.

Turn your head to the side, keep your chin down. He can't choke you if he can't put his weight on your throat.

Alternatively, study the end of the Fedor vs Coleman fight and armbar the shirt out of him. It is what I do.

Protect your neck, attack more, go for sweeps, move your hips, or go into open guard, besides you really shouldn't be in a closed guard against somebody that is that much bigger than you.

Keep busy. Be moving around and try to keep chin down while turning your head to the side if he gets his forearm there.

As Superbeast mentioned, the fedor armbar is possible from that situation.

Armdrag him scoot out to the side, post with your hand and take his back. Tada, rncpwned.

Thanks for the replies and advice all of it seems helpful.

keeping my chin down and turning my head seems like really good advice.
Don't know if i can do an arm-bar like fedor to coleman with 2 weeks experience. j/k :icon_chee

protect your neck and push on his elbow. Like a reverse armlock if that doesn't do it than push him away with your feet.

ask your instructor thats a really easy thing to get out of ... the basic defense is to turn your head as long as his forearm isn't pressing directly into your throat that move should be useless but you should always ask the instructor for help on these things as its a lot different from reading about how to do it a very small detail like turning your wrist in a diff direction can make all the difference

Superbeast said:
Turn your head to the side, keep your chin down. He can't choke you if he can't put his weight on your throat.

Alternatively, study the end of the Fedor vs Coleman fight and armbar the shirt out of him. It is what I do.
anyone got the clip linkable?

we worked on this in class on monday-
but don't worry he can't do this against better people who know what to do

first his weight is forward, he is out of balance and too far forward, to relieve pressure hold the arms and pull away slightly with the closed guard bringing your hips up.....
eventually learn to do a sweep after opening your guard and sweeping him with your legs over your head(since his weight is towards your head) he should be gone easily.....

ask your instructor of how to counter this newbie bad habit that he is doing***
me explaining on the net will not help your technique much at this point

good luck

Is your opponent new? It is quite a newbie thing to do by throwing their weight on your throat but some people like it to pass the guard.

push his elbow off to the side and put him in an arm triangle. can be hard to get if hes way bigger/stronger than you but at least it will take you from getting crushed, to putting him in danger. for example if its his right elbow on you, push it with your left hand to your right side, if you want turn your head left to slide it right off, and then slap on an arm triangle. basically make a triangle with his shoulder, and your elbow joint. and squeeze real tight,

Agree with unearth. It is actually a poor technique because it leaves them open for sweeps, arm bars & arm triangle chokes.

unearth said:
push his elbow off to the side and put him in an arm triangle. can be hard to get if hes way bigger/stronger than you but at least it will take you from getting crushed, to putting him in danger. for example if its his right elbow on you, push it with your left hand to your right side, if you want turn your head left to slide it right off, and then slap on an arm triangle. basically make a triangle with his shoulder, and your elbow joint. and squeeze real tight,

Yup, if you push on his elbow you can make him slip past your neck and into an arm-triangle.

My advice would be to try rolling with people not so drastically out of your weightclass btw.

tdk_tdk said:
I've only start bjj for about 2 weeks, so sorry for the lame question.

I'm only 140 pounds, and i roll with a guy (noobie also) that is 200pounds. Whenever i have him in my guard he always grabs his right wrist and drives his forearm into my throat. Pretty lame choke, but the guy is strong and heavy so he taps me. Any help on how to get out of it? preferably without using a gi.

If you're new just try and hook his leg and sweep him for mount. Even if you're not successful, as long as it was a decent attempt the guy is likely to let go in order to stabalise himself. When you nail this, if he still carries on, try triangles and armbars. It doesn't matter if you succed every time because you're learning. Soon the bigger guy will learn that he needs to pass guard because he's making your life easy.

Easiest way to defend: let's say he's using his right hand to choke you, try to grab your right shoulder with your left palm over the hand his choking you. You've got now the leverage you need to release the pressure by turning your shoulders (aka raising your left shoulder and trying to get on your right side).
As seen on Gracie in Action: Rickson vs. wrestler guy and on Rorion & Royce instructionals. :)

Wouldn't the easy way to defend a forearm choke from IN YOUR GUARD just to use your legs and extend him away from you to releive the pressure? I mean yeah, you're only 140 lbs, but when I was in grade 9 and 135 lbs, I could leg press over 700 lbs, so it shouldn't be an issue. 200 lbs isn't that much if you want to temporarily get him off ouf you.

tdk_tdk said:
Thanks for the replies and advice all of it seems helpful.

keeping my chin down and turning my head seems like really good advice.
Don't know if i can do an arm-bar like fedor to coleman with 2 weeks experience. j/k :icon_chee
Ahh, at least we aren't asking for a 'spinning kimura-from-bottom-guard-to-Americana-to-spinning-kneebar-to-armbar' :D

Back