Noob Feels Silly in Southpaw Stance

jpmoney

White Belt
Reaction score
I've just started messing around with strikes. I have no martial arts background and can't really afford to go to classes to train. I'm not looking to be a pro or anything close to it. I've been looking through books and online videos self teaching myself.

I'm left handed. When I get in a traditional southpaw stance, I feel odd jabbing with my right hand. The only way I can describe it is it's like trying to throw a ball with my right hand: no power, no form, all awkward.

Can anyone suggest some exercises and routines that could help me become more comfortable throwing a punch with my non-dominant hand? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you feel comfortably with your power hand forward, then just do that. Bruce Lee did this and it worked great for him, Semmy Schilt does too I think.

Do what feels natural to you.

From the stickies.

A question that comes up often involves the best method of training stand-up on your own. If your goals are to compete or just become a competent hobbyist, then there are a million reasons why "training yourself" is a bad idea. For one, any stand-up art, from boxing to muay thai, to whatever else, is very unnatural. You have to re-train your body to do movements that will feel very strange or awkward at first. There is no doubt that you will pick up bad habits that will have to be un-learned if/when you ever do decide to actually join a gym or hire a coach. Its harder to un-learn something than it is just to learn correctly the first time. Another problem with the home learners is that they pick up tips and bits of useful information and don't know how to put it together. They have heard that they have to "keep their hands up," so they focus on that. Meanwhile, their head and body are completely statue-like, they never bend at the knee, and are stiff as a board. A proper trainer helps iron out all these little tid-bits so that everything flows together a lot more smoothly. Gym-trained fighters look relaxed, smooth, and confident. They have ring generalship and a solid understanding of the fundamentals. A home-trained "fighter" is stiff, jittery, tight, and completely un-polished. The problem is that the vast majority of men think they know how to handle themselves in a fight, despite any evidence to back it up. Practice by yourself long enough, and you can fool yourself into thinking that you are doing well. That's why we see so many home videos of people "shadow boxing," or even worse, "sparring" in their backyards or bedrooms.

Now, if you are just looking to get a workout in, then feel free to whale away at a heavy bag until you're exhausted. You can definitely use it as a way to lose fat, build muscle, or just relieve some stress. If finding a gym is truly not an option due to financial problems, a lack of a worth-while gym close by, time issues, etc., then I guess that ordering instructional videos could act as a replacement, albeit a very, very poor one.

Anderson Silva, Rich Franklin and Jerome Le Banner all did great in fighting. Using strong lead fighting stance

I felt awkward in orthodox, so I switched Southpaw. My power is lacking a little in my left but my jab's so much more coordinated, and got a bit of a bite on it. I like to think of it like this, you'll use and land your jab a hell of alot more than your cross.

Everyone feels awkward throwing punches with their weak hand at first. It's normal. The way around this is to keep punching with that hand. Thousands of punches later, it will feel much more natural and it will be powerful.

I'm right-handed, but I feel FAR more comfortable throwing with my left hand now. It was really awkward at first, but now I can pop out stiff jabs without even thinking.

Of course, you'll be limited in how good you can get without a coach, but I'm not gonna start that whole debate. Just keep in mind that without a coach, you'll be doing some things wrong without knowing it. Just a fact of life. If you later decide to take it to the next level, you'll need to find a good gym.

Everyone feels awkward throwing punches with their weak hand at first. It's normal. The way around this is to keep punching with that hand. Thousands of punches later, it will feel much more natural and it will be powerful.

I'm right-handed, but I feel FAR more comfortable throwing with my left hand now. It was really awkward at first, but now I can pop out stiff jabs without even thinking.

Of course, you'll be limited in how good you can get without a coach, but I'm not gonna start that whole debate. Just keep in mind that without a coach, you'll be doing some things wrong without knowing it. Just a fact of life. If you later decide to take it to the next level, you'll need to find a good gym.

Thanks for the info. I'm really not looking to take it any further then just my own satisfaction. I've read the stickies and know that a gym and a coach would be ideal, but that's just not in the cards.

As far as just throwing punches with my right hand, it makes me think back to Rocky 2, when Mickie has Rocky change his stance and yells at him "ya gonna throw 1000 punches with ya right hand. If I see ya use ya left I'm gonna chop da damn thing off!"

I guess it comes down to strengthening and muscle memory. My right feels funny throwing a punch because it doesn't know how to punch yet. 1000 punches later, it may feel different.

Thanks again.

I'm left handed. When I get in a traditional southpaw stance, I feel odd jabbing with my right hand. The only way I can describe it is it's like trying to throw a ball with my right hand: no power, no form, all awkward.
I'm left handed but stand orthodox.
You should try it.

then just stand in an orthodox stance it makes punches equale with power hand front. jab=cross in knock out power

Thanks for the info. I'm really not looking to take it any further then just my own satisfaction. I've read the stickies and know that a gym and a coach would be ideal, but that's just not in the cards.

As far as just throwing punches with my right hand, it makes me think back to Rocky 2, when Mickie has Rocky change his stance and yells at him "ya gonna throw 1000 punches with ya right hand. If I see ya use ya left I'm gonna chop da damn thing off!"

I guess it comes down to strengthening and muscle memory. My right feels funny throwing a punch because it doesn't know how to punch yet. 1000 punches later, it may feel different.

Thanks again.

Pretty much this. Most important thing to do when starting off is making sure your technique is right, second is to go slow at first to make sure you're doing it right, then add speed, then power. Practice makes perfect.

My right hand was definitely my weakest hand when I started off. Now, it's my strongest hand with the hooks as well as the jab.

IMO, what counts the most is how your stance feels. You can train your hands to work around your feet want, not the other way around. Whichever way you feel the most comfortable, left foot or right foot forward is the way you should go. Stance and movement are more important in the beginning than hand work. I'm right handed, but since I ride skateboard, wakeboard, etc goofy-footed that is the way I do my standup. Good luck, and I know you said it is not an option, but if you could get a little help from someone that can help you with the basics I would highly recommend it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back