1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Noob Feels Silly in Southpaw Stance

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by jpmoney, Oct 15, 2010.

1. jpmoney

jpmoney White Belt

I've just started messing around with strikes. I have no martial arts background and can't really afford to go to classes to train. I'm not looking to be a pro or anything close to it. I've been looking through books and online videos self teaching myself.

I'm left handed. When I get in a traditional southpaw stance, I feel odd jabbing with my right hand. The only way I can describe it is it's like trying to throw a ball with my right hand: no power, no form, all awkward.

Can anyone suggest some exercises and routines that could help me become more comfortable throwing a punch with my non-dominant hand? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Edison Carasio

Edison Carasio Excellence of execution belt Platinum Member

If you feel comfortably with your power hand forward, then just do that. Bruce Lee did this and it worked great for him, Semmy Schilt does too I think.

Do what feels natural to you.

3. KyleInAction

KyleInAction ***HOPKINS BELT***

From the stickies.

4. Frode Falch

Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

Anderson Silva, Rich Franklin and Jerome Le Banner all did great in fighting. Using strong lead fighting stance

5. Murmillo

Murmillo White Belt

I felt awkward in orthodox, so I switched Southpaw. My power is lacking a little in my left but my jab's so much more coordinated, and got a bit of a bite on it. I like to think of it like this, you'll use and land your jab a hell of alot more than your cross.

6. vjvj

vjvj Mr. Pibb + Red Vines = Crazy Delicious

Everyone feels awkward throwing punches with their weak hand at first. It's normal. The way around this is to keep punching with that hand. Thousands of punches later, it will feel much more natural and it will be powerful.

I'm right-handed, but I feel FAR more comfortable throwing with my left hand now. It was really awkward at first, but now I can pop out stiff jabs without even thinking.

Of course, you'll be limited in how good you can get without a coach, but I'm not gonna start that whole debate. Just keep in mind that without a coach, you'll be doing some things wrong without knowing it. Just a fact of life. If you later decide to take it to the next level, you'll need to find a good gym.

7. jpmoney

jpmoney White Belt

Thanks for the info. I'm really not looking to take it any further then just my own satisfaction. I've read the stickies and know that a gym and a coach would be ideal, but that's just not in the cards.

As far as just throwing punches with my right hand, it makes me think back to Rocky 2, when Mickie has Rocky change his stance and yells at him "ya gonna throw 1000 punches with ya right hand. If I see ya use ya left I'm gonna chop da damn thing off!"

I guess it comes down to strengthening and muscle memory. My right feels funny throwing a punch because it doesn't know how to punch yet. 1000 punches later, it may feel different.

Thanks again.

8. thirteen

thirteen Brown Belt

I'm left handed but stand orthodox.
    You should try it.

9. lparnes

lparnes White Belt

then just stand in an orthodox stance it makes punches equale with power hand front. jab=cross in knock out power

10. EasternWind

EasternWind Blue Belt

Pretty much this. Most important thing to do when starting off is making sure your technique is right, second is to go slow at first to make sure you're doing it right, then add speed, then power. Practice makes perfect.

My right hand was definitely my weakest hand when I started off. Now, it's my strongest hand with the hooks as well as the jab.

11. Byrd

Byrd Blue Belt

IMO, what counts the most is how your stance feels. You can train your hands to work around your feet want, not the other way around. Whichever way you feel the most comfortable, left foot or right foot forward is the way you should go. Stance and movement are more important in the beginning than hand work. I'm right handed, but since I ride skateboard, wakeboard, etc goofy-footed that is the way I do my standup. Good luck, and I know you said it is not an option, but if you could get a little help from someone that can help you with the basics I would highly recommend it.