noob ? about Kimura

• Thread starter DaGREATkabookie**
  • Start date
D

DaGREATkabookie**

whats the difference between when its applyed at a 90 degree angle and when its straight out, and whats the best position to apply each, and is a keylock, hammerlock, and kimura all bascally the samething or is their a difference.

Keylock/Americana is generally the hand over the shoulder version of this shoulder lock, with the kimura being the one where their arm is by their side. The 90 degrees variation is more often used in judo or catch wrestling and targets the elbow more while the BJJ variations where you drag their wrist into either their armpit or shoulder focus on the shoulder more.

What's the technical name for the straight-arm version of the kimura?

i've always just called it a kimura as well but i could be wrong

Wouldn't the straight arm version just be an arm bar? I don't think you can get any substantial torque without bending the elbow. I may just be picturing it wrong, if so ignore me.

The straighter version is from sloppy technique, or if the opponent is really strong.

imo, a straightened arm means you fucked up the kimura a little and probably used your thumb when you grabbed around the guy's wrist, or there is a big strength difference.

Just to make sure: schematically a Kimura has the bad guy's elbow towards hips while an americana has the elbow towards head.

BTW, some people call a different move a "keylock." I.E. A specific counter to a counter to an armbar.

Frodo said:
Just to make sure: schematically a Kimura has the bad guy's elbow towards hips while an americana has the elbow towards head.

BTW, some people call a different move a "keylock." I.E. A specific counter to a counter to an armbar.

You got this totally opposite. Any1 agrees with me?

thecas said:
You got this totally opposite. Any1 agrees with me?

Yes, he got it backwards. The kimura has the elbow towards the head, and the americana has the elbow towards the hip.

I think he just made a typo since I train with him and he knows better than that.

Kimura AKA Reverse Figure Four:

Kimura-2c.jpg

Americana AKA Figure Four AKA Hammerlock

4.jpg

No, I am an idiot. Thank you!!!! I should know better, but I'm kinda dyslexic and mix things up alot...

Back