Nonito Donaire

MC Paul Barman

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
How big is this guy in the Philippines?
Is he getting up there with Pacquiao?

I finally got a chance to see the re-play of Donaire v Maldonado. Loved the fight.

He's not that big in the Philippines at all.

When Czar Amonsot was at Wild Card training to fight Katsidis, the Pinoy press was there to interview him, touting him as "The Next Great Filipino Champ"...Donaire Sr. got their attention and said "No, THERE'S the next Great Filipino Champ" pointing at Nonito as he worked the heavybag.

The Pinoy press didn't say a word, they just left.

He's detached from them somewhat because he's Phil-Am, what they consider Filipino American. He was ignored, and called a sacrificial lamb to Darchinyan. When he won he got SOME recognition, but one still gets the impression he's not very well-received by comparison.

not sure where nonito trains these days but he used to train in san leandro/hayward and fought on a lot of local cards in the bay area.

He trains at Wild Card.

Yup. Glenn's not a bad Fighter either. He was undersized against Darchinyan, at his natural weight he's a pretty decent brawler.

He was ignored, and called a sacrificial lamb to Darchinyan.

That's funny. Considering how it turned out for him in that fight. Don't see any fight lined up for him on boxrec, hopefully their just sluggish with getting it updated.

I have very little regard for Donaire. Unlike most, I've seen nearly every one of his fights, prior to Darchinyan, and there's very little to like about him.

Nothing has changed now that he caught Vic's suspect beard. He's mediocre and will lose soon enough.

I have very little regard for Donaire. Unlike most, I've seen nearly every one of his fights, prior to Darchinyan, and there's very little to like about him.

Nothing has changed now that he caught Vic's suspect beard. He's mediocre and will lose soon enough.
I agree with time,its just a matter of time

Like KK said after his win against vic he got some recognition here in the Philippines.He is pretty big today probably as big as Gerry Pe

Back