Nogi to GI

Sauron

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Since going from nogi to GI i've noticed a few things.

For one my guard game has gone to shizzle but my top game has improved alot more. The lapels really help me when passing guard now, theres alot of options once you have sidemount or mount with the gi. Passing guard is easier and posturing is alot more simple.

However it's so much more easy for a guy to posture in the gi, with nogi i can strip off their hands and my combo of hip bump and kimura was pretty damn good. Now my kimura and hip bump are non existant from guard and i am left trying the cross collar choke and my ever trust triangle.

So how has it changed your game when you switched, from gi to nogi or vice versa

Went from wrestling to GI so it was a big difference. I hated the GI at first but i warmed up to it, i love it now, i practice my no gi with the gi, to me its the same shit going from gi to no gi, but the other way around is tough.

I find the guard game a little more dificult without the gi, on the other had, the half guard improves a little, but the overall is pretty much the same type of things going on, but with a lot lore leg locks (in my case)

leg locks are alot easier without the gi, it's much harder to try and grip a guys sweaty neck rather than the ease of grabbing the lapels

Sauron said:
leg locks are alot easier without the gi, it's much harder to try and grip a guys sweaty neck rather than the ease of grabbing the lapels

Huh? How are leg locks easier without the gi?

i train in both i prefer no gi because its faster and more difficult to get subs but if you train in gi also youll be a lot better at escaping when you have no gi

TheHighlander said:
Huh? How are leg locks easier without the gi?

leg locks are a lot harder without a gi you have nothing to grab onto and a sweaty leg is very slippery

dan1210 said:
leg locks are a lot harder without a gi you have nothing to grab onto and a sweaty leg is very slippery

survey says leglocks are easier nogi and harder with the gi

Sauron said:
because they can't hold your lapels

Interesting. The majority of the time I go for leglocks they aren't in a position to grab lapels. I usually grab the arm or neck when defending, so I haven't really noticed that difference there. I'd think that sweaty leg vs gi pant would swing it further for no gi. I guess opinions vary, but it seems odd that they would be allowed at lower levels in no-gi competitions than in gi if they were so much harder to do in gi.

just wondering why leg locks are so much more prevalent in nogi then?

for me the same too i love both for deferent reasons... Gi has more things to do more techniqual... no-gi easyer to escape many stuff, power and speed play important role.

ARIS said:
l... no-gi easyer to escape many stuff, power and speed play important role.
Also, becoming slippery from all that sweat, helps in the escapes.

I like both but I'm more accustomed to No Gi for MMA. Gi is great because it's very technical and much slower then No Gi. You also don't have the sweat factor that you would without the Gi. There's also more submissions and alot more chokes. With No Gi, you'll get hurt more because of the fast pace and when you start to sweat, it's easier to escape from submissions. You also have to figure out your own grips(elbow, neck, etc.) rather then the grips of the Gi.

i have just started trining wif the gi

the main thing i get raped by the gi chokes

today i fact i was with all the guys whoa re better than me

i was subbed 5 times all by gi chokes

2om30 said:
Also, becoming slippery from all that sweat, helps in the escapes.

Exactly. The gi helps your no gi game immensely because with a gi on you cannot make mistakes.

In no gi you can fuck up, get put in a triangle and slip out of it, in the gi if you make that same mistake it's game over. So instead of learning how to slip out of submissions, you learn how to not get put in them to begin with.

My guard game without the gi is much much better, strange as for me it is both easier to keep the guard nogi and easier to pass it with the opponent no gi too. It

Back