Nogi guard passing

Bruce Calavera

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I'm not really sure who to ask this so here goes. What are your favorite ways to pass nogi? I understand I can use the same passes as gi for the most part, but without the grips what subtle nuances do you guys feel are important in the transition from gi to nogi. Dynamic sitting guards that flow from butterfly to half to everything in between are a big problem of mine and I'm not sure what tactics I should imply to shut them down.

I've been doing more no Gi than Gi for months now and I love it. I actually don't like going when I have to wear a Gi now :mad:

As for passing, I pass the same way with or without a Gi. Kneel back combat base break the guard attack their right leg cup under raise it high and slam it down so I don't get caught in a triangle or armbar. Simple and the most effective pass setting you up for side control immediately or a kesa gatame scarf hold. :D

for me it is more that a certain level of finesse goes out the window when you shift to nogi. This is a result of the game inherently speeding up do to less interference from clothes. The passes will tend to need to be played faster an harder to make up for the lose of grips and slippery nature sweaty skin.

Sorry to add nothing to the discussion, but what happened on 6/26/10?

I prefer to stand and I feel that it is much more successful than low passing.

High Tozi pass.

If it's an open guard scenario, I try to stand and force my way to HG and then knee slide pass.

I prefer to stand and I feel that it is much more successful than low passing.

I pretty much always try to stand for no-gi, I just focus on different aspects when I'm not wearing the gi. I train no-gi to improve my gi game however so it's just better because I can learn to not have to rely on the grips.

Sorry to add nothing to the discussion, but what happened on 6/26/10?

Fedor lost and a good deal of the HW posters committed suicide.

Back to the topic. I'm trying to find ways based on technique rather than athleticism. While I understand there are no nogi specific passes I figured some of the purples and up would have some advice on how to take advantage of the fact that you're not wearing a gi either(aside from athleticism).

the double underhook and knee through are my two go-to passes for both no-gi and gi.

I love the knee slide pass. It works equally well for me in no gi.

Tozi pass all day! I make my opponents yelp when I use it and it makes me smile.

Does that make me wicked? :(

yeah...i like passing from half guard. once the guard is opened, bait half guard, grab underhooks and tripod for the knee cut pass. bada bing.

not having a gi on means that it is very difficult for them to stop you from standing up and once you get the legs open you dont even have to deal with spider guard or any of its variations.

IMO you should stand. Also, I'm a guard player and having someone stand on me in no gi is usually the end of playing closed guard.

I like the knee slide, either far or near and i also like double unders. I would like to start to get good at what Gerbil mentions which is standing up. I just seem to feel like its a cheat to stand up after starting on the knee's. (i hate starting on the knees) I know its not a cheat, but it just doesn't feel right. Something i need to get over!!!!!!

Back