No Vegetable Diet

P

Pugilistic

I’ve been reading a lot of random shit on nutrition and health and came across a few people who believe that eating vegetables is not in our best interest. The Vegan, low-carb, and Paleo diet seems talked about a lot but not many seem to talk about this school of thought. I read mainly these two sites. They both say vegetables are not the best thing to eat but they have some differences.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/vegetables.shtml

http://www.diagnosisdiet.com

I’m no expert, and I can’t say for certain how much merit their arguments have, but it makes sense. To summarize, vegetables (the leaves, stalk, stem, root, etc) are parts of the plant that are needed for the plant to survive, and so defensive mechanisms are developed to prevent other organisms from feeding on them. Therefore, vegetables are mostly toxic, unlike fruits, which are designed to be eaten so the seeds of the plants can be propagated. Things are tomato, cucumber, and peppers fall into this category as well. Most seeds, grains, and nuts are also toxic to human digestion as well and should be avoided.

Ray Peat claims fruits are an essential part of the diet while the second link I posted suggests that humans can thrive off on a meat-only diet. I really have a hard time grasping the second one because it goes against what I’ve been told my whole life.

My questions on this:

1. I am not sure exactly how long, but humans have domesticated vegetables for a quite a while. Wouldn’t we have evolved during that time to some extend to be able to handle these toxins and make use of the nutrients in vegetables?

2. Domesticated vegetables probably also means we have bred out many of the natural defensive toxins in these plants.

3. Can we get enough micros (and perhaps carbs) by eating mostly, or only, meat?

Speaking of my experience, I have never eaten a meat-only diet so I can’t speak on that but I do eat a diet of mostly meat (and seafood) and fruits, with a heavier emphasis on fruit. Most plant-based foods I eat these days are fruit and sometimes due to time constraints (and their tastiness), I just make a huge smoothie for dinner with maybe a few hard-boiled eggs. This is completely anecdotal, and perhaps also a placebo, but I generally feel better if I eat a ton of fruit and my bowel movements are much better. Eating lots of veggies seems to improve my experience on the shitter as well, but I don’t feel as good in terms of energy compared to if I ate lots of fruit. Even if I eat veggies, I also eat it with fruit (in the form of eggplants, peppers, etc).

What are your thoughts on this?

While it could be true that most fruit are designed to be eaten that does not mean mean vegetables were/are designed to be toxic (shouldn't it be poisonous by the way?) even if the plant doesn't want its vegetables eaten; we eat vegetables because of taste and the fact they contain a lot of nutrients (since that is sometimes the entire point of the vegetable for the plant; to store energy). It's like saying animals have evolved to be poisonous so as to be not eaten yet we can enjoy eating most animals no problem since only some species are. There's a bit of a fallacy there.

Fruits have more sugar so that's probably why you feel you have more energy TS.

meat could have added hormones, meat glue, etc.
fruits/vegetables could have have insecticides, herbicides, wax, etc
there are pros and cons of any diet.

Last edited:
Ray Peat is in no way against eating vegetables. He promotes eating root vegetables and leafy greens (particularly as a source of potassium and magnesium). The only problems he brings up with plants is the ingestion of seeds and legumes, and he'd more than happy to admit that some people can tolerate those foods easily. Ray has also written about how important traditional methods of growing, storing, and processing food can be for reducing the toxic metabolites of certain foods.

Keep in mind that Ray's overall philosophy is that you need to take your health into your own hands, constantly re-think things, and don't bow down to authority. Don't look to him as a source of authority. And especially don't draw conclusions from single articles.

Here is Ray's reply to an e-mail I sent to him about people taking his word as authority:
When people started saying they were following my "protocol," I told them that the only protocol I have is "perceive, think, act," but I don't think that was an idea that spread widely; do you think someone is still promoting the idea of a protocol? In the past, when I would spend an hour or more talking to someone about their health issue, I would spend most of the time trying to show why it's important to keep re-thinking things, because people always had their preconception of what they would get from their "consultation." I had thought that the articles on my website were making it clear that clichés and stereotypes were things to avoid; a few years ago I wrote "How do you know?" to expand on that. I make a conscious effort to be tentative even in the way I present anti-authoritarianism, because I have made a few people dangerously furious by suggesting that their way of framing the problem, including their diagnosis and definitions of mechanisms, might be subject to reconsideration. In the late '90s someone invited me to participate in an internet discussion group, and it seemed like something between quicksand and a sandstorm, so I haven't looked at discussion groups since then. When each person is physically present in a group, the group mind that develops is rooted in the personality and history of all the participants, so that misunderstandings and disagreements are continuously being reconsidered. Internet discussions don't seem to work that way.

won me over with what you posted about Ray..

going to check out his stuff the next time my boss is MIA

No vegetables is the staple 'merica diet
item1430249_600px.jpeg

15087946271_e78ba758be_z.jpg

iZwPqAgh.jpg

This is completely anecdotal, and perhaps also a placebo, but I generally feel better if I eat a ton of fruit and my bowel movements are much better. Eating lots of veggies seems to improve my experience on the shitter as well, but I don’t feel as good in terms of energy compared to if I ate lots of fruit.

Possibly down to the fibre found in fruit & veg. As for toxins in veg/legumes, a better way to express this is to call them anti-nutrients, and you can eliminate some of these with your preparation, eg soaking legumes in warm water overnight to eliminate phytic acid, or by steaming your kale to remove oxalic acid. I wouldnt like to have a diet lacking in vegetables, and if you do, youre going to miss out on phytonutrients and good sources of the a-z vitamins and minerals.

No vegetables is the staple 'merica diet
item1430249_600px.jpeg
hes probably had too many of the wrong type of plant based foods eg refined grains and potato/corn based snacks as opposed to too much meat

Vegetables are not mostly toxic FFS

hes probably had too many of the wrong type of plant based foods eg refined grains and potato/corn based snacks as opposed to too much meat
1011916716.jpg

These are vegetables. Potato is a vegetable, therefore potato chips are vegetables. It has all the micro nutrients you will need.

1011916716.jpg

These are vegetables. Potato is a vegetable, therefore potato chips are vegetables. It has all the micro nutrients you will need.

miss-vickies-jalapeno.png

These ones have extra vegetables. Plus vitamin C.

And people say Vegans have a weird diet LOL!.. durr no vegetables durr. lol

Back