No shirt / rash guard allowed under Gi in competition?

jasond

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Is this a new rule? In the past 2 years, I've competed a few times but I've never heard this rule before. My son is competing next weekend and the rules stated that "No shirt or rash guard is allowed underneath the Gi".

I checked the IBJJF website and saw that they have that rule in place (along with no wrestling shoes or head gear; which are also new rules to me).

its been like that for awhile.. for the male's division, you can't wear anything under neath the gi top..
for the female division, I believe it has to be a rash guard or skin tight shirt.

its been like that for awhile.. for the male's division, you can't wear anything under neath the gi top..
for the female division, I believe it has to be a rash guard or skin tight shirt.

Yeah. They mentioned the exception for the females.

The rule is not a problem imo. It just threw me off since I had never heard it before and both of the tournaments I did were pretty big.

Is this a new rule? In the past 2 years, I've competed a few times but I've never heard this rule before. My son is competing next weekend and the rules stated that "No shirt or rash guard is allowed underneath the Gi".

I checked the IBJJF website and saw that they have that rule in place (along with no wrestling shoes or head gear; which are also new rules to me).

Sounds like a Claudio Franca tournament. Also no wearing a cup too.

The rule is not a problem imo. It just threw me off since I had never heard it before and both of the tournaments I did were pretty big.

The rule is females must show their fabulous breasts.

We've had that rule here since we started and people still question it.

I've been to tournaments in the past where the rule was on paper, but not enforced.

Down here(Pan Pacific Championships) the rule is no tshirts but rashguards are permitted and lots of people wear them.

p.s if they ask you to remove it just say u have a skin disorder

I like to wear one when I compete cause when it's over I don't have to explain the scratches to my girl

all the major Gi Tourneys has been that way. Mudnials and Pan Ams. Also I believe Grappler's Quest and US Grappling has been that way also.

Never enforced, however you must wear something under your gi pants. :)

That rule is also in sambo and judo. Nothing new

Who would actually enforce that? I'm sure that is a rule, but should not be enforced.

Back