No possible gym, what can I do?

grrthetree

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I've been into MMA and just plain combat since I was little, watching Van Damme, Norris, etc. I really love playing around on the heavy bag and boxing with friends, but now I want to seriously get into martial arts, or boxing moreso. I'm in a predicament now because there is no readily available gym anywhere near me that I would be able to train at and learn how to actually fight. I do have alot of training equipment at my house (weights, heavy bag, all the basics and a little more), and would like to know how to atleast get that edge where, if I have to defend myself, I can hold my own in a brawl. I'm not hoping to become an ace boxer at home, but am looking for a way to train myself at home, pretty much. Can any of you guys give me any advice on working the heavy bag and practicing basics, I'll be able to post videos of myself working the bag and training in May, so I can get criticism on my form.

The problem with self training is one, you can find video of people and try to mimic those people and be as self taught as possible, but 9 times out of 10 your going to be teaching yourself wrong technique. Plus if you watch a video and try to mimic it you might think your doing it properly, and feel like your doing something good, but the video will never be able to tell you if your actualy doing something incorrect. I dont know how you would go about training yourself, but i wish you luck and hope you get a chance.

i would advise trying not to teach yourself too many incorrect habbits though, because if you do get into a gym it will be that much harder to unlearn, then relearn the proper way.

get in the best shape you can both carido and strength im talking like tito or gsp type shape do this untill you can get to a gym training your self is bad if you teachyour self bad habits you may never be able to break them

get in the best shape you can both carido and strength im talking like tito or gsp type shape do this untill you can get to a gym training your self is bad if you teachyour self bad habits you may never be able to break them

Awesome advice, I second that. Work on your conditioning and strength until you can find a legitimate gym. There is no substitute for formal training, that goes for any discipline you plan on training in.

Since you have no gym, i'd stay away from trying to fight. You'll teach yourself bad habits and when you get into a real gym it will be very hard to break them.

You may be able to find a wrestling place where they will allow you to wrestle with them, these are fairly easy to find.

Until then work your cardio like a madman and lift weight and strength train like never before. If you hate doing those things just tell yourself i'm not running to become a sprinter, i'm not lifting to become a bodybuilder, i'm doing these things to become a fighter and thats motivation for me.

No gyms and no dojo's either?? Take some martial art if u can't find a boxing gym. Will keep u loose.

Back