No ones talking about this?

Matsukaze

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
th

Having only a purple belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and limited formal wrestling experience, Matthew Kaiser of Victoria BC, Canada fought for the 74 Kg (163 lbs.) world title. He beat a tough opponent, Karl Mifsud of Malta in the semifinals with a tight ankle lock. For the finals, purple belt Kaiser was not favored to win against second degree Brazilian jiu Jitsu black belt Roli Delgado of USA. Delgado shot a hard, quick inside leg trip takedown and landed inside Kaiser’s guillotine choke. Kaiser capitalized and ended the match due to a submission that resulted in unconsciousness for Delgado

Apparently he beat a 2nd stripe black belt in a local tourney... Is this a case of a hobbiest black belt loosing to a competitive purple belt?

Last edited:
You should probably give some context since national level tournaments have 0 coverage and 9/10 who aren't from the area don't give a shit about them.

who
what
where
why

Not necessarily.
There are a lot of solid purples out there who by the time they get their black belt will be monsters.
In no gi, we had one of our blue belts beat a brown belt. Took him 35 minutes, but he did it while controlling the match the entire time.
Is it incredibly common? No. But it isn't impossible at all. It was also covered on BJJ vault i believe.

Not gonna post the vid of a 15 yr old who beat a bjj blackbelt.

You should probably give some context since national level tournaments have 0 coverage and 9/10 who aren't from the area don't give a shit about them.

This. Please.

On August 22, 2015 Varna, Bulgaria was host to the 2015 Combat Wrestling World Championships. Athletes from thirteen countries travelled to match their skills against one another. There were national qualifiers in each country and as a result each competitor was a national champion in his own right.

Combat Wrestling is similar to no-gi Sambo. Big differences from Brazilian Jiujitsu include disallowance of crossed ankles including in the guard and the back and guard pulling is prohibited. Rounds are based on points, submission, or a 12 point mercy. Pinning is acceptable but only once during a match. Reaping, compressions and slices are legal.

Noteworthy Combat Wrestling competitors include Masakazu Imanari and Takanori Gomi. This year

This is Onq's new tournament it seems.

Roli Delgardo is not a hobbyist black belt.

On August 22, 2015 Varna, Bulgaria was host to the 2015 Combat Wrestling World Championships. Athletes from thirteen countries travelled to match their skills against one another. There were national qualifiers in each country and as a result each competitor was a national champion in his own right.

Combat Wrestling is similar to no-gi Sambo. Big differences from Brazilian Jiujitsu include disallowance of crossed ankles including in the guard and the back and guard pulling is prohibited. Rounds are based on points, submission, or a 12 point mercy. Pinning is acceptable but only once during a match. Reaping, compressions and slices are legal.

Noteworthy Combat Wrestling competitors include Masakazu Imanari and Takanori Gomi. This year

I object to that being called a world title in any sense of the word. Congratulations to him though, sounds talented.

I object to that being called a world title in any sense of the word.

I'd argue that it is (paradoxically) more of a world title than, say, the IBJJF worlds. It has qualifiers where a national team is built, unlike the IBJJF. Only recently has the IBJJf created any prerequisites for worlds and that's only for blackbelts. But the way they did it is just silly, win x amount of our tournaments to qualify. The underlying statement is: buy x amount of our tournaments to qualify. Which brings up the issue of them being a for profit only semi-international entity, unlike most other serious sports (including the FICW). Even the "worlds" title is a misnomer as it's really "North America + Brazil (and a sprinkle of Europe and that one guy from Australia/japan who can afford the plane ticket) championships." This isn't to say that the best at BJJ don't compete there, it's just, as things are now, all the above problems reduce the prestige that a athlete can garner from winning the "Worlds." And it will probably never change, unfortunately.

Roli was on Tuf I remember, vowed to retire if he lost to Junie Browning. He lost an SD to him.

And the guillotine is the submission that lower belts are most likely to catch higher belts with in my experience.

Also worth mentioning that he fell into the sub while doing a takedown which he is not likely to be a master of.

I'd argue that it is (paradoxically) more of a world title than, say, the IBJJF worlds. It has qualifiers where a national team is built, unlike the IBJJF. Only recently has the IBJJf created any prerequisites for worlds and that's only for blackbelts. But the way they did it is just silly, win x amount of our tournaments to qualify. The underlying statement is: buy x amount of our tournaments to qualify. Which brings up the issue of them being a for profit only semi-international entity, unlike most other serious sports (including the FICW). Even the "worlds" title is a misnomer as it's really "North America + Brazil (and a sprinkle of Europe and that one guy from Australia/japan who can afford the plane ticket) championships." This isn't to say that the best at BJJ don't compete there, it's just, as things are now, all the above problems reduce the prestige that a athlete can garner from winning the "Worlds." And it will probably never change, unfortunately.

My point is that the talent pool and level of participation is so small that it's silly to call something a world title when the winner is probably not the best in the world at that thing. It's also the reason that I don't recognize a Bellator champ as a "world champ," or the IBJJF No Gi Mundials champ as the world champ, because they don't represent the best in the world at that thing. Having an Olympic-style qualifier system doesn't legitimize something as a world championship. I can hold a tournament in my local academy with the same structure and my own set of rules. World championship? No, of course not.

My point is that the talent pool and level of participation is so small that it's silly to call something a world title when the winner is probably not the best in the world at that thing. It's also the reason that I don't recognize a Bellator champ as a "world champ," or the IBJJF No Gi Mundials champ as the world champ, because they don't represent the best in the world at that thing. Having an Olympic-style qualifier system doesn't legitimize something as a world championship. I can hold a tournament in my local academy with the same structure and my own set of rules. World championship? No, of course not.

I won NAGA Worlds once, I'm a world champ right?

Back