No-gi spider guard

newerest

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Can anyone direct me to a quality no gi spider guard instructional series? I have searched and searched and can't find any.

If anyone can give me some basic pointers on how to get to spider guard and what grips i need to get there it would be helpfull.

Also, if anyone can give me an overall basic idea of what I should be looking for when i get the proper grips.

Thanks, F12

I don't believe there are any. Spiderguard is heavily reliant on gi grips. When you pull spiderguard and have control of the sleeves; you control the sleeves for a reason. The sleeves are crucial to the spiderguard because of the way you grip it and how it entraps the whole arm.

You can move the arm around without ever really holding the arm directly. You hold onto the sleeve and naturally where you move the sleeve you move the arm.

Also when you grip the gi you aren't directly holding onto the wrist either as in no-gi. This makes it more difficult to break that grip than in a no-gi grip that involves directly holding the wrist. There is room in the sleeve so that if you opponent tries to turn the wrist to break the grip you have space to work with.

When you grip the gi you make a fist which creates a tighter grip. When you grab a wrist its not as tight because you have something inside your palm. So essentially your grip is halfway there to being opened as compared to the gi grip which would be a closed fist.

There are more things as to why no-gi spiderguard is difficult but those are a few reasons. I guess if I can't tell you how it works maybe I can tell you why it doesn't work and you can take it from there and brainstorm. Not saying no-gi spiderguard is impossible, its just not well developed yet. Hopefully you can figure something out? :D

I don't believe there are any. Spiderguard is heavily reliant on gi grips. When you pull spiderguard and have control of the sleeves; you control the sleeves for a reason. The sleeves are crucial to the spiderguard because of the way you grip it and how it entraps the whole arm.

You can move the arm around without ever really holding the arm directly. You hold onto the sleeve and naturally where you move the sleeve you move the arm.

Also when you grip the gi you aren't directly holding onto the wrist either as in no-gi. This makes it more difficult to break that grip than in a no-gi grip that involves directly holding the wrist. There is room in the sleeve so that if you opponent tries to turn the wrist to break the grip you have space to work with.

When you grip the gi you make a fist which creates a tighter grip. When you grab a wrist its not as tight because you have something inside your palm. So essentially your grip is halfway there to being opened as compared to the gi grip which would be a closed fist.

There are more things as to why no-gi spiderguard is difficult but those are a few reasons. I guess if I can't tell you how it works maybe I can tell you why it doesn't work and you can take it from there and brainstorm. Not saying no-gi spiderguard is impossible, its just not well developed yet. Hopefully you can figure something out? :D

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering the same thing as TS, been trying to mix spider guard into my gi game but had no idea how you could use it in no gi.

Unless you've got vices for hands, you're not going to be able to grip for spider guard on anyone your size.

There are lots of effective bottom-game guards you can use in no-gi tho, if that's what you're looking for.

i doubt there is any instructional, but i think braulio used it in the last adcc and anthony pettis used it for a few secs and got and landed an upkick to the face in the last wec.

or maybe i am wrong.

Back