No Gi Mount Questions

MongoMudd

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi everybody, I have some questions about maintaining mount in a no gi situation. If I stay low I can ride him all day. I am having problems transitioning to and maintaining the high guard. (When I say high guard I am talking postured up, where I would deliver strikes in MMA.)

My first question is, how do I transition to a high guard? What kind of posture and hand positions should I have? Many times as soon as I bring my legs up under his armpits he will start bucking and I will lose it. I am pretty good at breaking his grip if he decides to try to rest/stalemate from the bottom. Any exercises or drills would be greatly appreciated.

My next question is, what are some good techniques to maintain a high top guard? At this point, it seems like if he is tired I can ride the high mount pretty well and stay stable. But if he is fresh he will either buck me off or elbow escape to half guard. In MMA the punching aspect prevents the guy on bottom from using a lot of those escape techniques, but in no gi grappling it feels a lot different. The most success I have had is when I post a hand on his throat/face. Any suggestions as far as posture and positions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help everyone :D

Hi everybody, I have some questions about maintaining mount in a no gi situation. If I stay low I can ride him all day. I am having problems transitioning to and maintaining the high guard. (When I say high guard I am talking postured up, where I would deliver strikes in MMA.)

My first question is, how do I transition to a high guard? What kind of posture and hand positions should I have? Many times as soon as I bring my legs up under his armpits he will start bucking and I will lose it. I am pretty good at breaking his grip if he decides to try to rest/stalemate from the bottom. Any exercises or drills would be greatly appreciated.

My next question is, what are some good techniques to maintain a high top guard? At this point, it seems like if he is tired I can ride the high mount pretty well and stay stable. But if he is fresh he will either buck me off or elbow escape to half guard. In MMA the punching aspect prevents the guy on bottom from using a lot of those escape techniques, but in no gi grappling it feels a lot different. The most success I have had is when I post a hand on his throat/face. Any suggestions as far as posture and positions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help everyone :D

I use front chokes and ezekiels to make them defend their neck and scoot up one or both knees.

They also work for maintaining as him defending the neck takes away alot of his escape options.

And if you can get to a tight S-mount he's more or less screwed if you can strike.

You have to take an arm or arms so he can't post up. Then while up there take control of his shoulder girdle, using your legs or knees to help if you like. I would always try to take an arm away and lift his head to prevent him from bridging. Or, you can just sit atop him and if he bridges just wrap your legs around him when he lifts with your arms posting. Each time he drops, pull legs out...he lifts again you do the same only inch up each time. Either way tho, you need 1 arm at least.

You'll have to do alot of posting.

Bas Rutten said in a interview he much rather obtain side mount then full because side mount is more sturdy then full (and you can deliver knees)

also Randy Couture said the same thing about full but he likes being in their 1/2 gaurd in mma most because he sits back on their leg and lands huge blows

If you can puch then sit on his chest (legs deep under his arm pits and all your weight directly on his mid-chest).

If you can't punch it's a crappy position to be in. I don't know what an eziekiel is (except for that episode of Aqua Teen Hungar Force) but I know anything that would allow your opponent to get a hold of your hands or even worse you arms is pretty bad from that position.

I agree with whom ever said you need at least an arm.

Almost anything you do from that position takes you off balance.
If you are quick, an armbar is pretty easy to get but your opponent probably will be expecting it.

Gift Wrap from head pressure to S-mount setup

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back