No Gi Guard opening

thedon_1

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Just wanted to know what are the best and easiest ways to open a guard when you are not wearing a gi, because i find it difficult when not having a solid grip on somthing to break their leg grip.

Pin his hips down with your hands so that he can't move them. Put your knee in the middle of his butt, and while pushing down on his hips, slide backwards and away from him.

Don't but knee in teh middle though , if the guard is closed a simple twist of the legs is enought to throw you off balance enough to get a sweep

put it to on cheek or the other

put your hands in his armpits and extend your arms, put your head on his chest/stomache and stand up. then put one knee right in the crack of his ass and sit down. i beleive this is called the can opener (?)

colinm said:
put your hands in his armpits and extend your arms, put your head on his chest/stomache and stand up. then put one knee right in the crack of his ass and sit down. i beleive this is called the can opener (?)

I always thought the can opener was the neck crank

I see the can opener as a neck crank performed in the closed guard (like kerr did to some russian guy). this is usualy one of the ways I use to open guards in submission.. if the instructor allows it

colinm said:

This is my favorite way to open up the guard in no gi. I don't think this technique has a name. It is NOT called a can opener. The can opener is a neck crank used to open up a guy's guard.

yeah i know about the can opener neck crank. i really meant i called it the "can opener method of opening the guard" - but thought that was a mouthful - it kinda looks like those old school canopeners that just poke a triangle shaped hole in the top of the can.......or maybe thats just me, lol.

my bad tho on retarted use of grappling terminology.

*pounds head on desk*

colinm said:
You have a picture series of this? I'm usually pretty adamant about not extending my arms in someone's guard, in no-gi I'll use my elbows and the knee-in-ass to open the guard or wait for the opponent to make a move first.

The knee up the center that colinm describes works great.

Another way is to pin one of his arms to his belly (two on one or cross-arm) and stand. Use your free hand to either unhook his ankles or push down on his knee. Anybody good is going to attempt to sweep...but that involves them opening the closed guard. Usually they will underhook one of your ankles. In this case, turn hard into them and drop your lead knee (trapped leg).

Jin'emon said:
You have a picture series of this? I'm usually pretty adamant about not extending my arms in someone's guard, in no-gi I'll use my elbows and the knee-in-ass to open the guard or wait for the opponent to make a move first.

your arms will naturally sit as his sides is you put your hands in his armpits. its damn hard to armbar from there, but i have been caught, only by a purple belt and a brown belt tho and im a new blue. it only happens when i pick my head up from off his chest. nothing is perfect. but anyway, i usually take my hands off his armpits and pull my elbows in tight, controlling his hips, once ive positioned my knee correctly and have a good base to sit down.

I usually do well by putting a hand through, asking to be armarred or triangled(pin his hips with the other hand please!) then once they try to hipscape slide it out and pass.

Most people if they think they'll get the sub open the legs and go for it.

JABobo3 said:
I usually do well by putting a hand through, asking to be armarred or triangled(pin his hips with the other hand please!) then once they try to hipscape slide it out and pass.

Most people if they think they'll get the sub open the legs and go for it.
That works against people that are somewhere between beginners-intermediate, but trying to open an experienced opponent's guard by "baiting" for a triangle or armbar will either yield no result at all or get you submitted.

I do standing passes when I am doing no gi grappling. I sometimes find it hard to do the knee in the butt pass because I lose my balance but it is still worth trying. I usually just stack while pinning their shoulders to the ground. It works for me a lot.

Back