No-Gi Armbar

scorcho

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey!

I am working out at a vale tudo school over the summer, and though I hold my own on the ground, I am having some trouble adjusting to the no-gi game. Specifically, I am having trouble with armbars from the guard, as I cannot seem to get a decent grip on the wrist with all the sweat. This is causing me tremendous problems, and weakens my guard considerably. Since we do not usually wear gloves, the only way I have figured out is to overhook my opponent's arm into my armpit and slide my hips around from there (which is difficult and requires a lot of flexibility).

Any suggestions for other things I should try?

Thanks!

Don't grab the wrist, grab the tricep with your opposite side arm (i.e your right arm reaches across to grab their right tricep) so that you pin their arm between your stomach and your arm. This is much more secure than grabbing the wrist.

The key to amrbars in general and especially in no-gi isn't the grip though, it's getting your hips high enough up against their shoulder so that they don't have enough room to pull their arm out,

Mirada said:
Don't grab the wrist, grab the tricep with your opposite side arm (i.e your right arm reaches across to grab their right tricep) so that you pin their arm between your stomach and your arm. This is much more secure than grabbing the wrist.

The key to amrbars in general and especially in no-gi isn't the grip though, it's getting your hips high enough up against their shoulder so that they don't have enough room to pull their arm out,

Good call Mirada, here's a video reference too.

http://www.abhaya.ca/video/guard_armbar_nogi.wmv

you can also use your legs to help you hang on to him, get your leg in behind his head and pull him in towards you by the tri as you suck your hips into him and arch your back.

IMO the best sub taht works from the guard in no gi grappling when you're sweaty as hell is the triangle choke.

flyingknee16 said:
IMO the best sub taht works from the guard in no gi grappling when you're sweaty as hell is the triangle choke.

Yea, I've really come to like the triangle armbar as well.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Back