• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

No Country for Old Men Appreciation Thread

just watched it last night, and though i see what some are saying about the TLJ parts bringing the pace down, (and i would love to see a fan edit that did that and sped up the pace), it is such a great movie filled with performances that come to life. the way chigurh is trying to let the old man know just how serious a flip he just won and to savor that coin, but it's just a coin of course, awesome.

Anton Chiguhr was bigger than life.

One of the best performances I have ever seen.

This scene has been discussed in the thread a bit, and I'm no movie aficionado.. but something that troubles me about this scene:

1. Carla Jean is truly the bravest in the film as/when she declares she ain't gonna call it, the coin has nothing to do with it, it's just you.

2. Chigurh in this scene has no tank and no shotgun with him.. Yet he comes out of the house and checks his boots? The checking of the boots seems odd/strange or out of place to me. (I'm aware of the Chigurh/Wells scene).

An interesting note about Carla Jean: she's the only character to have met all three leads (Brolin, Bardem, and Jones). None of the three men ever actually met each other.

As far as her last scene being left ambiguous? I think it almost makes her death more disturbing IMO. That Chigurh had no weapons with him, but somehow Carla Jean died in a way that produced enough blood that checking his boots was necessary. Sometimes what your brain imagines is even creepier than anything the filmmaker could actually show onscreen.

As far as her last scene being left ambiguous? I think it almost makes her death more disturbing IMO. That Chigurh had no weapons with him, but somehow Carla Jean died in a way that produced enough blood that checking his boots was necessary. Sometimes what your brain imagines is even creepier than anything the filmmaker could actually show onscreen.

I agree, but only to a certain extent. The tension of the scene is lost, when we realize:
1. If he strangled her, no blood.. At least not enough to have to check his boots.
2. If he used a knife he either had to go get it (giving Carla a chance to fight), or he had one on him.. Either way he'd have to check more than the bottom of his boots for blood.

I'm probably over thinking the whole thing... Just struck me as interesting, not so much a whole or mistake, just interesting.

Just watched again for the second time after like 10 years. Phenomenal movie.

One thing I wanted to ask about is the 1 dollar bills that Lew finds in the satchel. Everywhere I read about this people are attributing this to some kind of error in the movie, but I highly doubt the Coen brothers fucked that up. I am thinking those 1 dollar bills were the reason the drug deal went wrong in the first place. I think someone tried to pull a fast one, it got noticed, and then all hell broke loose.

I could see drug dealers trying to do that, albeit it's pretty stupid, but it's way less stupid than believing the Coen brothers left such a blatant mistake in the movie.

Threads like this deserve random bumps. Watched it last night again. Think that was my third time watching, but first time in over 6+ years. So so good, top 5-10 movies of all time for me. Going to read through this thread shortly from the start.

Javier Bardem was the only good thing about that movie. Josh Brolin's character was so inept I was rooting for him to die the whole movie. Also everything Josh Brolin touches turns to shit, one of the worst actors in HW IMO. Didn't like the Tommy Lee Jones I'm getting to old for this shit ending either.

My least favorite Coen Brothers film I've watched.

Aged well.

;)

One of the best opening scenes ever made

Aged well.

;)

Fine, nearly everything. Jonah Hex, W, MIB 3, the shitty Sin City sequel and Old Boy remake were all masterpieces. The best roles he's had are the one's where he's barely in the movie or in children's movies where he's a giant cgi purple alien.

Back