Rewatch Nick Diaz vs Takanori Gomi (original Conor - Nate I)

Sullen Drunkard

White Belt
@White
Reaction score

Only now I realized how many parallels there are with the "Conor - Nate I" fight, a fighter unknown to the casual public defeating a promotion star after the favorite gassed out wanting to end the fight early, great fight!

Nick Diaz was not unknown to the casual public. You must be out of your mind.

More people knew Nick than Gomi.

People expected Gomi to win but Nick had been a MMA fixture for way longer and was more well known.

I mean this fight was in the US for crissakes. It's the first time Gomi had ever even fought there.

At the time Pride was trying to make inroads to the US. Most of the people watching Pride were NOT casuals. It's a Japanese promotion. What casuals were watching a Japanese promotion?

So most fans watching this are well aware of Nick Diaz career already. They expected Gomi to win, that much is true but Nick Diaz is not unknown. Even Japanese fans would know of him.

Some of the versions of this fight omit the entrances and thats a damn shame cos Nick Diaz was flipping off the world on the way to the ring

Love that fight and card. Comparing it to Conor Nate is dumb as hell though

Reactions: HHJ
I was really rooting for Gomi here, but Nick was great in this fight. The post fight interview was really good, too. "He hit me with some HADOUKEN shit."

I was really rooting for Gomi here, but Nick was great in this fight. The post fight interview was really good, too. "He hit me with some HADOUKEN shit."
Gomi busted Nick's eye with a short uppercut, but it didnt faze nick one bit. The eye kept getting worse though.. and Gomi was so afraid of losing he starting pointing at Nick's eye to the ref.

I was like WTF dont try to get the ref to save you bitch!!!!!!!!!!

First of all, neither Diaz was an unknown going into their fights. That is an insane take.

This is one of the classic fights of all time, doesnt really belong in the same realm of any Conor fight.

Reactions: HHJ

Only now I realized how many parallels there are with the "Conor - Nate I" fight, a fighter unknown to the casual public defeating a promotion star after the favorite gassed out wanting to end the fight early, great fight!

Both great fights.

Nick was more well known than Gomi

Nate was a Main Event headliner 7 or 8 times and had a title shot before he fought Conor.

Your narrative is lousy as far as "unknowns" goes.

I love this fight. It's easy to forget how hard Gomi use to hit. That dude threw bombs! Diaz was just too good.

Back