• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ngannou was never a draw

Freedom to compete in boxing outside the UFC so he could make more money.

Ngannou and a lot of Sherbros can't seem to comprehend why the UFC wouldn't let their HW champ
1) continue to take time away from the octagon preparing for a serious boxing match
2) get embarrassed spectacularly in that boxing match

I can totally comprehend why they wouldn't want to let him do that.

But why did Dana say "He just doesn't want to fight the best fighters, he wanted easy fights, we don't do that here" ?

Why didn't he just say "Francis wanted to box and we said no."

Because he's Dana and he had to be an asshole and lie about things like he always does. Just be honest and say why Francis didn't want to sign instead of trying to belittle him. Just be straight with us.

What does TS' financial standing have to do with Francis making poor financial/career decision?

Francis is living his best life. It’s an absolutely amazing life and story. Funny to see people come out of the woodwork to rain on Francis. Francis is my friend.

So...??

The issue was NEVER MONEY

It was freedom.

UFC was willing to pay but Ngannou wanted more freedom in his contract. That was the issue

People keep forgetting that

In fact it was all about the money for Ngannou (and there is nothing wrong with that). He wants more freedom so he can make more money (e.g. in boxing, etc). But I really think he never thought UFC would release him, their current heavy weight champion. He probably thought that eventually he would get what he wants from them...

So...??

The issue was NEVER MONEY

It was freedom.

UFC was willing to pay but Ngannou wanted more freedom in his contract. That was the issue

People keep forgetting that
So. If they’re paying him millions why should he get to fight outside his contract. Francis is a trog who is done. He’ll never recoup these losses and f him. Good luck

So. If they’re paying him millions why should he get to fight outside his contract. Francis is a trog who is done. He’ll never recoup these losses and f him. Good luck
They shouldn't and they didn't
Francis has the right to step down in that case, which he did (or was made to).
Both parties are now free to make their own plans. Not a bad compromise in my opinion

They shouldn't and they didn't
Francis has the right to step down in that case, which he did (or was made to).
Both parties are now free to make their own plans. Not a bad compromise in my opinion
They were willing to pay him millions. He turned it down.

Felt like Ngannou would've sold better if he was more active. He had a hard time getting fights before he was champ and been injured since being champ. Hard to be a fan when you're lucky to see them once a year.

Yea it's almost weird how the UFC manages to manufacture "draws" like Paddy and can't figure out how to sell fights for the baddest man in the company. Then refuses to pay him despite taking out his assumed successor. Dana not putting the belt on him after that fight says it all.

He wanted freedom to box. He wanted to box for the money. So indirectly it was definitely about the money
THIS. I have pointed this out, as well, but people don't seem to be capable of grasping it. Francis said that was exactly what it was about - he wanted to box so he could earn a yuge payday, and not have to work as much. So, he wants both.

If you're a fight promoter and can't make a draw of the hardest hitting motherfucker in the history of your sport you shouldn't be promoting.

He doesn't want to be tied to an organization like an employee, without the benefits of being an employee. He's been stating that for some time.

No he got the smartest advice. People that really think this was a dumb move by Ngannou don't really see the big picture. They probably only watch UFC as well. Ngannou is looking to cross over and do both. That exposure to 2 completely different fan bases. UFC doesn't do a good job promoting fighters, the biggest stars promoted themselves. UFC thought Diaz bros weren't needle movers and no one cared to watch them fight. They just needed exposure and the Conor fight brought that and Nate became a star after that.

UFC had Nate Diaz under contract for a long time and couldn't promote him and had him on a low fight purse contract. After the Conor fight Diaz made the best of the situation and promoted himself and stood his ground and got a better contract. Nate Diaz was one of UFC's biggest stars but UFC never promoted him prior to the Conor rematches. They didn't understand Nate's worth/value and were surprised that he was gaining a lot of casual fans.

You bring up Wilder's last PPV numbers but he still got paid 10 million. Wilder is an 8 figure fighter - just like many other boxers. Ngannou will do just fine even as the B-Side. Boxing PPV numbers aren't super high and they still get paid more than UFC fighters. Lots of fights are also not on PPV and they still get paid millions per fight. UFC stacks their cards, boxing it's really about the main event only. Even if UFC sells high numbers, the fighters aren't getting that cut, so there's no real reason to bring up PPV numbers anyways. Only champions get a cut and it's small percentage compared to how they do the splits in boxing.
It's apparently not that much exposure to a different fan base, based on the numbers from Wilder's last fight. They only have estimates from his last fight, but it looks like he got paid more than the entire event brought in after badly missing estimates and the promoters just ate a huge loss, and his opponent didn't make that much.

I doubt he'd make more, certainly not much more, boxing Wilder than he would have made fighting Jones in the UFC, where he gets PPV points and would certainly sell more PPVs, and that is IF the Wilder fight even happens. It would also be basically another year away from MMA. If he takes a year away and gets KO'd by Wilder for $2 million, then that is a loss compared to having stayed in the UFC and defended his title.

They did understand Nate's worth/value before the Conor fights, which wasn't anything special before he beat Conor. If he'd never fought Conor, or had lost their first fight, nobody would have paid much attention to him after. They have like 700 fighters on the roster, so they promote the events and the fighters, do the countdown shows etc, but of course the fighters have to set themselves apart from the rest, and Nate couldn't have without beating Conor.

This was Wilder's disclosed purse from his title defense before Fury took his belt in their rematch, against a 31-1 former interim champ whose only loss was against Wilder for the title the year before.
EJ6nqouUcAAMPu3

I don’t think a lot of you people know what you’re talking about. You just hate Dana/UFC so much that you just post the way you wish things actually were. Truth be damned. I don’t like being lied to no matter who is doing it.

One guy the other day was still going with this $50M - $100M for one fight nonsense.

I hate to bring actual truth and facts into the thing.. But the last two guys Fury fought..The most recent one first.

Tyson Fury vs. Derek Chisora 3 fight purse, prize money
Per Sports Zion, Fury will be taking home a guaranteed purse of $25 million, with Chisora taking home $4.5 million. The PPV split between the two will be 80/20 in favor of Fury, the WBC heavyweight champion.

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/amp...salaries-money-match/y0povdeganrihzzcadpyey14

The guy before that Dillian Whyte got $7.4M on a 20/80 B Side split.

The basic sum each fighter will receive represents a disputed 80-20 split in favour of the giant known as "The Gypsy King". That means Whyte, will pocket $7.4 million for stepping into the ring.

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/amp...ll-heavyweights-make/mel6enzktd62pkfjvndvtsgn

These guys are actual known pro boxers. But a completely unknown mma guy is going to get ridiculous money? Maybe Fury will just offer Ngannou a 50/50 split? Instead of the 20/80 B Side split these last 2 guys got? Or Wilder’s 40/60 B Side split for the trilogy fight (which was written into the contract for the rematch)? Ngannou isn’t even a draw in mma. But he’s going to draw in boxing?

Ngannou has to get at least $10M just to break even at this point. While crying in the press how he’d “Never fight for $600K again”. He even had Hunto saying $600K was a joke. I guess Hunto believed the stuff Ngannou was saying. He got conned.

After playing the victim card to the hilt. Ngannou let this one slip a cpl days after the Gane fight.

“I left a lot more on the table. Overall, I’ve been leaving a lot of money on the table even since the Stipe fight. By now, I might be down $7 million that I left on the table, but I’m still happy with my $600,000, because I still fight for what I care for. This is the thing. Freedom doesn’t work with money. You give up one for one. Whether you want freedom, whether you want money. You give up one to gain one.”
I says.. Pardon? Not very honest, was he? Good luck, Francis. See if you can actually even break even. $7M he already lost plus his next UFC fight purse. It’s probably over $10M now. Depending what the UFC’s final offer was. But $10M should be easy to get, right?

But the UFC was supposed to pay him $10M+ and let him box right? No smart businessman in the world would ever agree to that.

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...g-ufc-deal-but-freedom-doesnt-work-with-money

Oh well, he's a good dude, trying to get a good deal for himself.

Wishing him luck post UFC.

I don’t know about draw. He’s not a superstar outside of the UFC. The guys that bring the big bucks in boxing. There are 4 pretty much. And for the next 2 years, I can’t see them fighting newcomers. The big fights for them are each other. Just don’t see where Francis fits in.

Back