Next pair of 16oz...Top King or Raja?

kidRiot

White Belt
Reaction score
I currently use my 14oz Top King "Super" Air's exclusively...For bag work, and light sparring. I absolutely love these gloves; the fit is amazing, nice and tight. The padding it stiff and protective. The wrist support is also nice and stiff. After 7 months of solid use, they're getting close to retirement. The thumb has torn open and the foam padding is showing, and add in sweat, the material literally turns to puddy and strips away. Also, the white coloring has begun to fade bad, due to sweat.

My other gloves, Fairtex BVG5 (or w/e), I hate with a passion. Wrist support is garbage, I can easily bend them. The padding is way to soft to provide good protection. I mean I even tried them on a bag, and horrible wrist support, and horrible protection. The hand compartment fit is no where near as tight as my Top Kings. Not a fan what so ever. Sparred with them a few times, and hate them. In general, they are too flappy and loose. Not stable what so ever.

So I've really been thinking about getting 16oz Top King Super Airs, but am worried they may be big in size. I really like compact, small gloves.

I've read that Raja 16oz are smaller in size compared to Top King 16oz, but have no idea how they fit (and no one at the gym has a pair). I want my glove to be as compact as possible, as tight as possible, with stiff padding; just like my Top Kings.

Anyone have experience with either gloves?

I have both. 16oz top kings are pillows. I love my 16oz raja and i think they have a better feel than the top kings. They are also a smaller glove overall

Imagine you'll have the same issue with the wrist in the Rajas as you do with the Fairtex, although to a lesser extent as the cuff is a bit narrower. Still the wrist support isn't as good as the Top Kings. If you are already happy with the fit of the Top Kings then I'd just get another pair.

16oz Top Kings are still very compact in terms of fit. Tightest gloves I've ever owned of any weight. Not had Rajas, but used my friend's 16oz pair. They are tight, too, but a little wider, going off memory. Don't know if Jeff822 can confirm that or not

Done in only 7 months?! :eek: Top Kings being as big as pillows?! All this is contrary to me experience with Top Kings... I have no experience with Raja's though, so I can't chime in on that, sorry.

What stuck out to me us that you're looking for a Thai glove that's compact, has good wrist support and good padding to stand up to bag work and, occasionally, sparring. One particular Thai brand comes to mind and I think I've recommended it so much I might just name my first-born child after it:

Boon.

Boons are compact, have a snug hand compartment, the best wrist support you're probably going to find on a pair of Thai gloves, and great padding. Mine have softened up a bit in the year I've owned them, but the padding is still very good.

I might say Twins also because they have a ton of padding and an incredibly snug hand compartment, but they're big ass gloves and the wrist support is hit and miss, especially if you have thin wrists. I know you mentioned you wanted to know more about Top King or Raja but I think you really should consider another brand.

I think a few people have Boons at the gym. I'll see if I can try them out. Just trying not to drop another 50+ $$ on gloves I could hate.

EDIT: Actually, I'm feeling pretty in favor for Boon. After reading some reviews, and they're carried in a good amount of USA retailers; seems like a safe bet.

EDIT: Nvm, after researching Velcro vs Lace up...Going with Velcro, as I do a lot of my own personal training.

Last edited:
Hey people, I'm new here but I have been browsing these forums for a while now always trying to get input when I need/want new gear. I agree with the Fairtex issues as with kidRiot as I have been using a pair for bag and pad work for about 6 months now. I have thin wrist and I can never get these gloves to feel secure and comfortable. They are well made gloves and I will give them that. Recently, I've been using a pair of Boons and I find them to be an exceptional pair of gloves. Fit, feel and support, you name it. I would totally recommend a pair to anyone. Lately, there is a pair of Rajas I've been eyeing which are their newer "premium" line models. Supposedly the premium line uses better materials than their regular gloves. In the past people have mentioned the velcro issue but they seem to be a problem for the pre-2011 made gloves. Muaythaifactory has the premium line instock (?) for $ 64.99 which isn't that bad but when you add shipping, I couldn't get myself to buy a pair...until last night when the black pair went onsale for $ $ 49.99 (plus $ 4 because I got the 12 oz.). Anyways, maybe I'll post some pictures and a mini review when I actually get the gloves but if anybody has had any experience with the premium line, maybe you can share you're thoughts on them.

BTW goodluck kidRiot I hope Boon works out for you too.

RJ-G-104-BLACK-front.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on the purchase, quastria. Looking forward to your review!

I think a few people have Boons at the gym. I'll see if I can try them out. Just trying not to drop another 50+ $$ on gloves I could hate.

EDIT: Actually, I'm feeling pretty in favor for Boon. After reading some reviews, and they're carried in a good amount of USA retailers; seems like a safe bet.

EDIT: Nvm, after researching Velcro vs Lace up...Going with Velcro, as I do a lot of my own personal training.

if interested i have a pair of unused Boon in 14 oz. that i would sell you for a good price. they are black. let me know if you want pics or anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back