Next lightweight contender

not too sure when Gilbert will be back but i reckon he gets the next shot. great match up

Dana has said twice now that Melendez will get a title shot in his first UFC fight, but has also said the Pettis/Cerrone is a title eliminator. I'm guessing they'll give the shot to Melendez first and then have the winner of Showtime/Cowboy fight the winner of that fight. I could see the Pettis/Cerrone winner getting the shot first though.

Dana has said twice now that Melendez will get a title shot in his first UFC fight, but has also said the Pettis/Cerrone is a title eliminator. I'm guessing they'll give the shot to Melendez first and then have the winner of Showtime/Cowboy fight the winner of that fight. I could see the Pettis/Cerrone winner getting the shot first though.

yeah thats right - im happy two see both match ups, Pettis/Cerrone winner first just because they have been in the ufc longer. all possible fights im interested in watching

If Cerrone wins I doubt he'll be given a title shot.

Either Melendez fights first, or they wait and see if Pettis beats Cerrone, and they give it to him.

Would like to see Pettis get the shot if he can get by Donald. I think Melendez needs to prove himself in the UFC as well as get a tune up fight since he hasn't fought in like a year.

Pettis if he beats Cerrone at UFC on FOX 6: Johnson VS. Dodson a couple weekends from now.

If Anthony Pettis loses, then most likely it's Gilbert Melendez.

Alvarez was in that mix till the beef with Bellator happened.

Last edited:
Pettis if he beats Cerrone at UFC on FOX 6: Johnson VS. Dodson a couple weekends from now.

If Anthony Pettis loses, then most likely it's Gilbert Melendez.

Alvarez was in that mix till the beef Bellator happened.

Oh yeah what's up with Eddie? Thought he got a good contract, could make him fight Melendez for contender if Pettis loses.

Edit: hmm just read an article look like it's still nasty...

Oh yeah what's up with Eddie? Thought he got a good contract, could make him fight Melendez for contender if Pettis loses.

Edit: hmm just read an article look like it's still nasty...

Yeah, unfortunately we won't see EA in action till these lawsuits are figured out.

Melendez I believe is getting the next shot

the UFC is also banking on Pettis beating Cerrone so they can market the Benson/Pettis rematch

add Alvarez into the mix coming in from Bellator (hopefully)

LW is always an exciting division :cool:

Gil will get a shot probly. And hopefully pettis beats cowbow. Pettis vs benson rematch is huge!!!!

melendez is injured and pulled off strikeforce card soo he shouldn't get title shot.

If Pettis wins it's his turn

I'm curious.
Why would you think that Cerrone would get a Title Fight with a win over Anthony?
He's lost twice to Ben and was drubbed badly by Diaz. He doesn't hold one win over an elite LW.
Am I missing something?

I'm curious.
Why would you think that Cerrone would get a Title Fight with a win over Anthony?
He's lost twice to Ben and was drubbed badly by Diaz. He doesn't hold one win over an elite LW.
Am I missing something?

1. Dana said it was a title eliminator, meaning that whoever wins gets a title shot. I'm aware he changes his mind a lot, but he's the one that said it.

2. Cerrone and Benson hate each other, they could use the feud to help sell the fight.

3. Bendo/Cerrone I was very close, a lot of people think they should be 1-1.

4. If he beats Showtime, he will have won nine of his last ten fights, and his UFC record will be 7-1.

5. He's an exciting fighter, plenty of highlights to draw from to help sell the fight.

6. Last but definitely not least, if he beats Pettis then he will have beaten an elite lightweight.

Bendo vs Gil should be the next fight. The winner getting Pettis vs cowboy. If Alvarez comes over he can fight Maynard with the winner getting Varner/miller.

However Healy/miller vs Thomson/Varner sounds great too. Idk there are so many lws.

1. Dana said it was a title eliminator, meaning that whoever wins gets a title shot. I'm aware he changes his mind a lot, but he's the one that said it.

2. Cerrone and Benson hate each other, they could use the feud to help sell the fight.

3. Bendo/Cerrone I was very close, a lot of people think they should be 1-1.

4. If he beats Showtime, he will have won nine of his last ten fights, and his UFC record will be 7-1.

5. He's an exciting fighter, plenty of highlights to draw from to help sell the fight.

6. Last but definitely not least, if he beats Pettis then he will have beaten an elite lightweight.

Dana has taken a different direction currently.
Again, a win over Pettis leaves several UFC fighter that are more highly ranked than Cerrone, or Pettis. Pettis should trump, imo, because he has a reasonably recent win over Ben; not on the strenghth of a Cerrone win.
It appears that your reasoning is fanboy based, for the most part.
Nothing wrong with that. However, you'll have a hard time bullshitting a bunch of other bullshitters with your argument. But, good try.

So many exciting lightweights. People who think Bendo is going to set records are sadly mistaken, he might take the LW title defense record but he ain't taking shit from Anderson. Too much good fighters and he's not quite dynamic enough to do it.

Back