• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Newbie need help

Sorry my bad

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm 16 years old and recently I joined the martial arts path. I started with Krav Maga because my friends recommended me, today I completed a month. Well, to be honest , I didnt like it much. Maybe my school is bad idk. So the thing is, I have two options; start boxing together with judo (which a friend of mine practice them and he says that is a good combination to start with) OR start MMA (I found a very nice school, at least it has muay thai and bjj in, and other arts). The MMA school is a lot cheaper than boxing + judo separated. What do you guys think? :eek:

Try out each of your options to find the best fit for you personally. My .02 anyways.

How much money does your parents make?

Dont think Im that typical maintained child. My parents since adolescence never "gifted" me anything. If I want something I have to deserve it, in this case I go to school, return home, sleep a few hours and then I go to work in my father's shop. He pays me a percentage according to the total sales of the day so I do what I want with the money, in this case i want to invest it in some martial arts. Back to the topic, could you please guide me?

Bro, see what Judo gets you...

ComplexRepulsiveDore.gif

He's planning to do judo and boxing maybe so not what judo gets you.....but what boxing does..... but curious what's your plan for martial arts to know something for the sake of knowing it or to a future mma career potentially?

By the way that what boxing does comment was a joke

Hey guys, I'm 16 years old and recently I joined the martial arts path. I started with Krav Maga because my friends recommended me, today I completed a month. Well, to be honest , I didnt like it much. Maybe my school is bad idk. So the thing is, I have two options; start boxing together with judo (which a friend of mine practice them and he says that is a good combination to start with) OR start MMA (I found a very nice school, at least it has muay thai and bjj in, and other arts). The MMA school is a lot cheaper than boxing + judo separated. What do you guys think? :eek:

so boxing + judo or Muay thai + bjj?

boxing + judo = Ronda Rousey
Muay Thai + bjj = Joanna Jędrzejczyk

Do you rather be Ronda Rousey or Joanna Jędrzejczyk?

Train at whichever gym you enjoy training at the most. More time spent in a worse gym is better than less time at a better gym for a rank beginner.

Terrible comparison. Ronda is not a boxer.

I think you should have clear goals on why you want to do MA. Self defense? A way of improving yourself?, etc
Personally I would go with the first option.

Imho you're focusing too much on the arts themselves, while you should focus on the quality of the instruction.

It seems like you are headed toward an mma goal in the long run, so as long as you train both striking and grappling with competent instructors you should be fine.

These are good question to start from when choosing a gym:
- what are the instructors' credentials and are you going to be trained by those instructors or do they only run the gym?
- are there guys taking part in competitions coming from this gym and with what results?
- do they spar or do they only teach form (mcdojo alert)?

ronda rousey has horrible boxing though.

You want to go along and try out all of the above, you should be able to get a trial at the gyms.

Luckily the gym I tried out initially is the one I am still training at, that is due to great coaches and a good group of people.

Go along try them out and see where you like and take it from there.

Terrible comparison. Ronda is not a boxer.
Absolutely agree,

What i would do kid is try the BEST school, the one that teaches you the best, makes the fewest promises, and is the best value for the time/money. You could do Judo with a crap coach or you could do MMA with a crap coach, the art alone won't get you far. I do boxing and MMA with a good coach, i hold my own in MMA as a result.

Back